IGNORED

Dreamcast Collectors Here...

Clint Thompson

I still have and play my Dreamcast, though I bought it towards the end of its lifecycle. I don't remember how many games I have (they should all be at my Game Collection link on my sig), but many of the games I have (Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Rayman 2, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2) are so good that I wish the machine survived long enough to see another generation of titles.

Currently, this is my DC list of 83 games total:

* Alienfront Online

* Atari Anniversary Edition

* Bangai-O

* Bomberman Online

* Capcom vs. SNK

* Carrier

* Chicken Run

* ChuChu Rocket!

* Crazy Taxi

* Crazy Taxi 2

* D2

* Dinosaur

* Dynamite Cop!

* ECW Anarchy Rulz

* ECW Hardcore Revolution

* Elemental Gimmick Gear

* Evil Dead: Hail to the King

* Evolution - The World of Sacred Device

* Feet of Fury

* Floigan Brothers

* Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

* Giga Wing

* Jet Grind Radio

* JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

* The King of Fighters Evolution

* Last Blade 2

* Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

* Marvel vs. Capcom

* Maken X

* Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX

* Max Steel: Covert Missions

* Midway's Greatest Archade Hits Volume 1

* Mortal Kombat Gold

* Mr. Driller

* NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC

* NCAA College Football 2K2

* NFL 2K

* NFL 2K1

* NFL 2K2

* NHL 2K2

* Nightmare Creatures II

* Omikron: THe Nomad Soul

* Ooga Booga

* Phantasy Star Online

* Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2

* Quake III

* Razor Freestyle Scooter

* Reel Fishing | Wild

* Resident Evil: Code Veronica

* Rippin' Riders Snowboarding

* Samba de Amigo

* Sega Bass Fishing

* Sega Bass Fishing 2

* Sega GT

* Sega Marine Fishing

* Shenmue

* Slave Zero

* Soldier of Fortune

* Sonic Adventure

* Sonic Adventure 2

* SoulCalibur

* Soul Fighter

* South Park: Chef's Luv Shack

* South Park Rally

* Space Channel 5

* Speed Devils Online Racing

* Spirit of Speed 1937

* Starlancer

* Star Wars Episode 1 Jedi Power Battles

* Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

* Stupid Invaders

* Tennis 2K2

* Tomb Raider Chronicles

* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

* Toy Commander

* The Typing of the Dead

* Unreal Tournament

* Virtual On: Oratorio Tanagram

* Virtua Tennis

* Web Browser 2.0

* World Series Baseball 2K1

* World Series Baseball 2K2

* WWF Attitude

I have two more coming in the mail - WWF Royal Rumble and NFL Blitz 2000. That'll bring my grand total to 85, but if I'm anywhere close to 100 by PC5, I hope to buy enough there to get to that magic 3 digits. :D

Cool MMF :)

You got a nice list of games with some expensive titles in there :)

Once you hit 100 though you can't go back ;) I think once I hit 100 I started going insane about it and getting every one I could here and there heh. I never played my PS2 so I rided that with the games and bought MORE DC games with that.

PC5... hopefully I'll be making it to some shows this year!

I have a decent DC collection. I think I am around 60 games short of having all US games. Of those 60, most are sports and I really don't care if I ever get em. I did get all the different colored controllers, even the imports which are different colors than the US ones, and same with all the VMU's. I also picked up a Black sports edition real cheap around 2 years ago and official maracas, arcades sticks and some other crap. Never got the Twin Sticks or BBA but maybe someday I will try to get em. DC was a pretty good system overall and I like the fact that the game library is pretty small :)

Once you hit 100 though you can't go back ;) I think once I hit 100 I started going insane about it and getting every one I could here and there heh!

heh i was the same way with my 3do collection :D

once i hit around 100 i went nuts on ebay (which was about 1 month after i first joined ebay) - also i met some people though ebay to help me complete my 3do collection

i am missing just 2 manuals to make it complete. for me complete enough is having the game and manual, the box is just dressing, but there are always exceptions :D

Just out of curiosity, do you have to modify a Dreamcast to play CDRs?  If so, is it hard to do?

nope no mod nessesary, i think that later models have trouble with cdrs

there is a list some where of which DC's play cdrs, they go by manufacturer date or something

EDIT_______________________

found some links

http://www.psxdepot.com/dcsupport.htm (there is a better list out there possibly on dcemulation)

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-dreamcas...12/09/0000.html

also the Treamcast plays cdrs :)

post-541-1077669975_thumb.jpg

I am a recent collector, but I have now approximately 50 games with Samba and the official maracas, a Topomix arcade stick, DDR with dance pad, Ikaruga, Shenmue II and sports console. I really took advantage of the Gamespot clearance prices in South NJ and Philadelphia where everything was 30% off. In fact, they are planning on moving all Dreamcast stuff in the area to two designated "clearance" stores close by in Marlton and Milville. Adrien's rantings notwithstanding, the Dreamcast is (was?) a great gaming value for the money with the system and most accessories and games at excellent prices and good to excellent games in every category. For the collector it can only go up in value and some games are commanding quite a premium (see Street Fighter 3: Third Strike).

If you guys are interested I do have a Street Fighter 3 Double Impact with original instructions and case up for auction at Ebay with a low starting price. Enjoy.

People calling the DC "old" and "forgettable" make me wanna puke. IMO, the DC is the best video game system I have ever owned or played. With it, I have no interest in buying anything "newer." It's a high quality system with an abundance of very good and incredible games across a wide spectrum of game types.

I guess since I now have 50 games, that can be called a "collection." But I don't like to call it that, since the word in my mind implies I "collect" just for the sake of buying and/or having. I don't do that. I buy to PLAY. I use my Dreamcast a good bit.

Recent additions - Typing of the Dead, Sega-brand keyboard, fishing controller, Sega GT, Zombie Revenge, Bass Fishing 2, Soldier of Fortune.

And Clint - where'd you get that cool shelving unit for your DC stuff? I could use something like that! A couple of 'em, actually.

People calling the DC "old" and "forgettable" make me wanna puke. IMO, the DC is the best video game system I have ever owned or played.

If it helps, I'm not a fan of the Playstation either. :P

But anyway, I just find it hilarious how people seem to have nothing but good things to say about the DC. You know, back in 1999 when early adopters like myself had the DC, oddly enough you'd rarely hear this kind of talk. Gamers for and against the DC railed the system for its noisey motor, poor frame rates, controller, and so on. Today, people seem oblivious to all this and somehow find the games to be flawless works of art. Why s this? Because the system is dead? Because the games/accessories cost next to nothing? Because PS2 fanboys no longer have a direct competitor to harp on?

Gamefan magazine once spoke about this phenomenon...dead systems being heavily revered and worshipped by former owners and mainly by the "late adopters" who weren't around when it mattered. Basically, the fact that these systems and games are now looked at as "collector's items" in a somewhat finite state. People scramble out to accumulate, play a game or two and then speak of the system as being the greatest thing ever. We've seen this happen time and time again..examples...

the 32X and Sega Saturn...once the forgotten stepchildren of the 32 bit era are suddenly being snatched up by "collectors" and now considered hardcore. Why?

I still frequent my DC - Dont have that big of a collection - about 25-30 games - The main stuff i play lately are Border Down / Ikaruga / Gigawing / Bomberman Online and my recently aquired for 7.99 Sega Rally 2 :)

The only place i can find DC games anymore is Gamestop which has em all for used - But only one gamestop store around here has em.

Theres this store in brooklyn actually that had lots of brand new dc games even rare shit for only 9.99' date=' but iwent back after a long break and they dont have anything anymore :sad: [/color']

Ah, well, well, well. See, this is when it's great to live in Northwest Arkansas. Both Game Exchange (which is based here in Springdale and has about 40 locations in the midwest) and Vintage Stock have a good supply of DC titles. Most folks, of course, are interested in Game Cube or PS2 (with a few interested in that Microsoft thing), so the DC titles get overlooked. Both the aforementioned stores even have large inventories of NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Atari Lynx and PS1 titles, as well (as well as some 2600 titles here and there and Sega Saturn etc., etc.) Everyone wants the newer stuff, see, leaving us vultures free to swoop in an clean up :wink:

I had a Dreamcast and loved it, but I just got crazy one day about a year and a half ago and sold it. I had a nice collection, but only had around 30 games. I bought my Dreamcast way back on 9/9/99 and had a nice collection, but only had around 30 games, because all my games were full price. I had some cool games and stuff for my Dreamcast. Keyboard, Panther FPS/flight stick controller, Dead or Alive 2 arcade stick, Hori SNK blue fighting joypad and a bunch of game soundtracks.

The reason I sold it was because all the servers were starting to close down for all the games and a large portion of the good Dreamcast games either had sequels or were being released for my Xbox and Gamecube. Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT, Shenmue II w/Shenmue movie, HOD 3 w/HOD2(full Dreamcast version), Gunvalkyrie(cancelled for DC and released on XB), Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi 3 w/superior version of CT 1, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, PSO Ep. I/II and sequels like DOA3 and Project Gotham Racing. I own em' all, so you know I loved the DC. Now with DOA Ultimate, I won't miss DOA2 anymore. :D

The Dreamcast had some great gaming moments for it's short lifespan.

Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, DOA2, Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, StarLancer, Sega GT, HOD2, Skies of Arcadia, Metropolis Street Racer, PSO and others were epic.

As much as I love the DC i do hate the controllers, As much as I hate sony I do love the controllers. Combining both with an adapter to use the playstation pad with the DC is a perfect match for gaiming heaven. I dont think I have that many PAL titles, about 50? I never like sports titles so they get wiped. I have plenty of JAP titles though including strange things like tokyo bus. I'll buy a dc game no mater what language or what condition, justy not sports titles.

Been home for 2 hours and already put an hour into tokyo highway challenge,,

Love the DC!

People calling the DC "old" and "forgettable" make me wanna puke. IMO, the DC is the best video game system I have ever owned or played. With it, I have no interest in buying anything "newer." It's a high quality system with an abundance of very good and incredible games across a wide spectrum of game types.  

I guess since I now have 50 games, that can be called a "collection." But I don't like to call it that, since the word in my mind implies I "collect" just for the sake of buying and/or having. I don't do that. I buy to PLAY. I use my Dreamcast a good bit.  

Recent additions - Typing of the Dead, Sega-brand keyboard, fishing controller, Sega GT, Zombie Revenge, Bass Fishing 2, Soldier of Fortune.  

And Clint - where'd you get that cool shelving unit for your DC stuff? I could use something like that! A couple of 'em, actually.

I bought some computer desk and it came with a free bookshelf... and I haven't used it for anything so I decided to make it a shelf for my DC games. :)

People calling the DC "old" and "forgettable" make me wanna puke. IMO, the DC is the best video game system I have ever owned or played.

If it helps, I'm not a fan of the Playstation either. :P

But anyway, I just find it hilarious how people seem to have nothing but good things to say about the DC. You know, back in 1999 when early adopters like myself had the DC, oddly enough you'd rarely hear this kind of talk. Gamers for and against the DC railed the system for its noisey motor, poor frame rates, controller, and so on. Today, people seem oblivious to all this and somehow find the games to be flawless works of art. Why s this? Because the system is dead? Because the games/accessories cost next to nothing? Because PS2 fanboys no longer have a direct competitor to harp on?

Gamefan magazine once spoke about this phenomenon...dead systems being heavily revered and worshipped by former owners and mainly by the "late adopters" who weren't around when it mattered. Basically, the fact that these systems and games are now looked at as "collector's items" in a somewhat finite state. People scramble out to accumulate, play a game or two and then speak of the system as being the greatest thing ever. We've seen this happen time and time again..examples...

the 32X and Sega Saturn...once the forgotten stepchildren of the 32 bit era are suddenly being snatched up by "collectors" and now considered hardcore. Why?

What's to say bad about a currently $29 topnotch game-system?

Sure it has it's flaws (as with any console does) but it still is overlooked and many people give it the nudge as it's not even worth looking at.

(Compared to N64 for example... come on...)

(Then there's a few of us that are asking whats wrong with these people heh)

I was introduced to the Dreamcast in 2000 and I had no interest. I thought (Sega... blah... look at what happened to the Saturn)

Played a few demos on a friends DC one night and I got one like a week afterwards. I've only built a library of about 30 or so games up until recently within the last 2 or so years then I've gone DC collecting mad (because I could obviously afford more games for less money)

Which if your getting 4-5 quality titles oppose to 1 then there you have it! :)

Games for the DC today can still be expensive... especially the newer ones. I paid $55 each for both Rez and Headhunter when they first came out. I can hardly say I've scrambled to play 1 or 2 games... try 200+ ;)

The best part is having friends over to play all the multiplayer games (it's a blast!)

Same thing with the Atari Jaguar. I got one for Christmas the same time it was released. (1993) and I still own and enjoy the system today. What makes you think you have to be a late-adopter to call the Dreamcast one of the best pieces of hardware for it's price range today. It's true (or subject to opinion) that the Dreamcast has very good hardware and it's also true (or subject to opinion) that there a lot of great games to be played on the Dreamcast.

Now buying 100+ games at full-retail price.... I could see your point of view as far as everything not being as great... then it just comes down to getting the games you enjoy the most, of course I'm not one that is usually willing to pay retail for things either so I'll opt to buy it second hand and save $15 anyways.

I personally think the DC could have survived quite a bit longer had Sega not mentioned they were dropping support completely for the DC.

Welll anyways.... I think it's an awesome system and is probably my favorite system to date. Sure I love GTA3 and Burnout 2 on PS2.... or an occasional Jag game here and there... but DC tends to get the most play and has the 'quickest' variety of games that almost anyone can get into right away making it great for the multiplayer parties :)

I have over a 100 games (including the rare rare PAL Samba de Amigo boxed set), about 20 imports, two machines (one being see-through green), 2 arcade sticks, fishing rod, 5 or 6VMUs, mouse, keyboard, VGA box etc etc...

I'm just pissed off that to complete my collection I'll have to buy all the shitty sports games...

See-thru green eh? :)

I wanted to get the clear edition of that but never did.... maybe I'll look into doing that sometime soon!

@Clint

To me 9.99 for anygame seems like a great price to me really - Whether they're rare titles, or even cheap shits. Although 7.99 sounds better, i can always live with 9.99 - What was even better is that with every purchase from this store you bring back your receipt and get 1.00$ off your next purchase. I was able to buy Bomberman Online for 7.99 new among others for a little less than 9.99

And the TRU's around here only carry a few Controllers, Memory Cards, Tennis 2K, NFL 2K's, Typing of the Dead and thats really it.

plus they are overpriced for 14.99 each or more.

And Ikaruga is a great game, as is Border Down. I have the Combo Disk for those games so i can choose whichever i want to play at the menu screen - Untill i get xtra cash for the originals this handy disk will suffice ;)

I must admit, the DC is one of my least favourite consoles.  I have a collection of about 20 titles, only 3 or 4 of which I actually consider must have's.  I've always thought the DC was an over-hyped system - and this is coming from a pretty hardcore SegaFan.  :sad:

Out of the 250ish games for the system how many have you played?

Just the 20 you have or?