IGNORED

Wich game should have been the pack-in for the Lynx?

Bogarona

The Deluxe package of the Lynx first had California Games and then Batman Returns as a pack-in game.

I think that a few others would qualify better.

First: Scrapyard Dog

A great platform game with very good graphics and fun to play.

Look at the succes Nintendo had with mario, why could Atari not see this?

Second: Klax

Same story as with Scrapyard Dog. Nintendo had Tetris, why Atari not Klax?

I think Klax is the better of the two.

This is a great what if.. scenario.

Now you guys: Wich game should have been the pack-in for the Lynx?

Well, I think that the best strategy is to get a game that is good both single and mutli-player. The multiplayer especially, so that when you show it to your friends, they will be impressed, and you could say "we can play this together if you got yours". It's a great way of getting the system selling by word of mouth.

So, in that respect, I think California Games is an excellent pack-in. Slime World could also have been a decent pack-in too.

Marioland sold a lot of gameboys and Tetris was mostly a singleplayer experience.

As a young boy I played Super Mario Bros. on a Nes. I was impressed. I wined to my parents for a NES. The game sold millions of Nes consoles everywhere. I gave nothing about multiplayergames then. It was the sheer fun wich counted.

Oh, and I didn't got a NES from my parents, they bought me a Lynx :D

All well that ends well

Speaking of great games to go with Lynx;

Lemmings should have been included.

That would have shifted some Lynxes though I still reckon Californa Games is just as addictive as Tetris (IMHO).

Is there a video game store in Netherlands that stills sells Lemmings?

Bruce

The Deluxe package of the Lynx first had California Games and then Batman Returns as a pack-in game.

I believe that there were actually five or six different Lynx pack-in titles that were offered in the early '90s. Most, such as "STUN Runner", "Shadow of the Beast", and "Batman Returns", were good choices, but you'd have to agree that "California Games" made a hell of a Lynx demo. It's just not the best overall game for our favourite handheld. :)

Is there a video game store in Netherlands that stills sells Lemmings?

Bruce

Not that I know, maybe second hand. I had lemmings but I sold all my games when my first lynx died. Oh man, did I regret that...

Sold 30 games for 25 euros. But I was 14 and I wanted Street Fighter 2 for Gameboy. Stupid youth :x

I think Blue Lightning is a great demo for the power of the Lynx, but I still think California Games made a great pack-in because of its replayability. Each game was pretty quick, so if you and your friends were hanging around playing with your new Lynx (if there was only one around), it would be easy enough to play a game and keep passing it around, trying to beat each other's scores.

I'm not sure Klax would have made a great pack-in because of the vertical screen. I think it would have confused people too much.

Hmm, I guess they made a pretty good decision using Cal Games, in my opinion. I never really thought about it before.

checkered flag or stun runner or battle wheels would've been good choices

back some 10 or 12 years ago when the lynx was still around in the store.

also,if atari had a showcase game like alpine games they would have been very foolish to not have exloited it.

back in the day of october 1989 atari could've also had electrocop or blue

lightning in a package like california games was,these were and are still a

nice little bit of lynx heaven to play to this day! california games was a nice choice by atari,they should have expanded it to a few more titles with

some different games.back in 1989 the lynx did not have too many to even choose from though to yet offer a real good pack-in title.there were

only 4 titles at release in october 1989,and one of them was a pack-in title

to boot! two more followed shortly after release.--the lynxer

I agree that California Games was a good choice. But Batman Returns? Probably the best way of making someone feel sorry about buying the system :roll:

If Batman Returns would have been the first game I played on Lynx, I'd probably got a Game Gear :) (luckily the first one was California Games ) ;)

If Batman Returns would have been the first game I played on Lynx, I'd probably got a Game Gear :) (luckily the first one was California Games ) ;)

The first Lynx game I played was Blue Lightning. I wanted a Lynx so bad when it was on the market, but I never actually got a chance to play the Lynx for real until I bought one off of Ebay in 2002.

Blue Lightning was a good first game to play, though.

Gotta have Chip's Challenge in that pack-in collection somewhere. After all, it's probably one of the more popular titles for the Lynx. Even had a major review in EGM's Lynx section back I think in one of their 1991 issues? I have the old magazine tucked away somewhere, and I know I got it in '91, but I don't remember the month. I just remember they reviewed (and previewed) several Lynx games, and included a rather lengthy strategy for Chip's Challenge.

For a pack-in, I'd have to say Chip's Challenge. Maybe Checkered Flag, RoadBlasters, or S.T.U.N. Runner.

• 2 years later...

My vote is for Klax, everyone who picks up one of my Lynx units gets drawn into Klax no matter what age or gender (which perhaps shows why Tetris was such a good move as the GameBoy pack in).

The perfect combination would be Klax and Californian Games, one for a quick fix and the other to keep battery companies in business.

Actually Checkered Flag did came with the Lynx as a pack-in game.

Sort of. It became part of the four-game bundle that stores offered as the Lynx was on its way out.

I say California Games was the perfect pack-in, for reasons already mentioned. The few times I got to show my Lynx off to friends back when it was stilly fairly new, there were always gasps and winces when that hapless BMX guy hit one of the hay bales and went flying bikeless over the cliff. Good stuff.

Well, I love Klax, unlike Tetris however it gets literally impossible later on diue to its speed, but sure a colour rival to Tetris could have worked. Didn't SEGA use columns as a packin game with the GameGear though/

Scrapyard Dog was a decent enough game, but was never a Mario contender, however it would have appealled to the Kids.

Personally I would have liked to have seen Stun Runner or Ninja Gaiden which were both awesome, as Ninja Gaiden unlike the GameGear version was a carbon copy of the arcade original, a few more games like that would have been swell.

When the lonx first came out I remeber the complaint from Kay Bee toys was that they would sell the system w/ California games and nobody would come back and buy games dut they only cared the system and the original 6 tytles on 2 shelves for like 3 years...soof the games California was a good pack in....So was Batman Returns...You guys are forgetting that Batmania was still going on when the 2nd movie came out and the graphics were good most people rated it a 7 out of 10 in the mags...We were very forgiving of bad game play cause it was the best Batman game out except for Batman on Gen.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first Lynx from Electronics Boutique for $69.99 and it came packed with an adapter, Checkered Flag, Pinball Jam, Pitfighter 2, and Shadow of the Beast. That was around 1994, and I'm proud to say I still have three of those four games to this day. :) :P

As to a pack-in game....hmmmm.....I'd have went with Slime World AND Pinball Jam personally...yup....both are very different yet show off the capabilities and downright FUN of the Lynx. :cool:

Regards,

Neville