IGNORED

RMT instrument creation

Tezz

Hi all,

I thought it would be good to start a post for RMT instrument creation, there doesn't seem to be any talk or discussion around creating instruments or attempting to recreate particular sounds.

I have personally been using RMT since it's earlier releases last year and have been impressed. Like most of you all, I am very used to the tracker format having used the likes of soundtracker, protracker, octamed and the rest for many many years so that is a familiar approach for song creation for us all. The question remains about how to best create instruments using the Pokey's cababilities to it's fullest. Raster has given us a great tool to make use of filters, 16-bit basses, portamento effects and so on..

I have been producing music professionally now for 15 years so I have some knowledge on certain approches to take. With comments in the documentation mentioning Instrument envelope commands for note/frequency shifting and support for special "like a C64 SID chip" filtering, this is exactly what I would like to persue. If composers/programmers like Joshen Hippel (Mad Max) could make some incredible sounds with the STs very basic YM chip then surely we now can push the envelope (if you pardon the pun) with RMT.

Rasters own C64 synth lead was a great surprise to me when I first heard it, has anyone else managed to recreate any of the commonly used C64 instruments. This instrument uses two channels to acheive this but most of the C64 tracks were 3 channel anyway when we have 4 to work with.

Anyway, I look forward to what the future will bring :)

With reference to previous post...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43874

emkay... A Runtime that can build the lowest octave(s) by software (PCM) and that is modulating (tuned in) POKEY's generators can be used as a real synthesizer
Is this possible with RMT 116? Has anyone made any new developments. There is much talk of softsynth in previous posts saying that much more was possible then in the current RMT although most say that the interface was bad.

Are there any real nice bass sounds created yet that don't sound like the horrid square wave sounds I keep hearing. Don't get me wrong, the RMT tracks that are being produced so far have good construction and are a real good step in the right direction but so far I haven't heard any new revolutionary sounds to make us all say wow. apart from when Raster originaly posted his Delta conversion that is.

So far I think we have usable percussive sounds: bassdrums, snares, hats etc. and we have some usefull "simple wave" lead instrument sounds (more deeper layered synth leads would be nice using shifting and filtering), but bass is not so good yet. I guess we would benfit from 16-bit with basses.

I think to make the point clearer, I need to post some RMT instruments and mp3 comparisons of what I would like it to sound like. (within reason of course).

I personally "model" the sounds by examining the wave of a sound I'm trying to recreate inside a sample editor to visualise exactly what waves are used and making the particular sounds. It gives a good starting point.

If we have a step by step method of working out modelling new instruments we should be able to move things to the next level.

Perhaps if we all contribute to producing a set of instruments that are included with the download of RMT like the Soundtracker instrument library did back in the eighties we would enable composers to concetrate on constructing good tracks without having to spend much energy on the science.

Rasters own C64 synth lead was a great surprise to me

BTW - It was big surprise also for me. When I heard this sound first time during the development of RMT prealpha version, I remarked to source code this note:

//26.12.2002 10:59 .... stvoril jsem monstrum s montrooznimi moznostmi. Umi to hrat i jako SID ze C64.;-)

English translation: 26.12.2002 10:59 ... I have created the monster with amazing possibilities. It's able to sound like a C64 SID chip. ;-)

BTW2 - good news:

Jaskier accepted my suggestion to implement this feature to his TMC2.0:

Things that have been already submitted:

* Raster: use accents to change sound of 2 channel filter (done)

:)

Is this possible with RMT 116?

No. There is one main difference. RMT supports "FM" (Frequency Modulated - or strictly speaking "PM" - Pokey Modulated ;-)) music only with 50Hz (up to 200Hz = 4 changes per frame) frequency of changing Pokey registers.

IMHO, higher frequencies means something like "samples"... I'm uninteresting in it. If I want use the samples, I don't need the Atari and POKEY chip - I can use my PC with 44100Hz 16-bit stereo sounds.

On Atari, I like pure Atari music with true "PM" (Pokey Modulated) sounds.

I personally "model" the sounds by examining the wave of a sound I'm trying to recreate inside a sample editor to visualise exactly what waves are used and making the particular sounds.

If you mean "model" the various sounds by "PM" (preferably with 1 change of Pokey registers per frame... ???... hmm, ok... up to 4 changes ;) ), I thought about it many times already, but I haven't tried it so far. Please, try it!!! I think it's great idea! 8)

raster/c.p.u... On Atari, I like pure Atari music with true "PM" (Pokey Modulated) sounds..
Absolutely agree with that, completely FM or "chip" music is what it is about. I would really like to see more made of the Pokey with clever use of the filters and frequency shifting you have enabled to create stunning sounds as you did with the C64 leads

If you mean "model" the various sounds by "PM" (preferably with 1 change of Pokey registers per frame... ???... hmm, ok... up to 4 changes  ), I thought about it many times already, but I haven't tried it so far. Please, try it!!! I think it's great idea!

Modelling by "PM" is what I meant, I will certainly be trying it out. I hope to impress you all with the results soon ;)