IGNORED

The real VCS

Mister VCS

Which VCS is the "real" VCS in your opinion?

For myself I have problems with the 2600 jr.

The real VCS is a VCS with silver switches

and a big case.

The best looking VCS is the darth-vader

4 switch. But it has a cheap motherboard

and many of my cartridges doesnt, work well

with it.

My favorite VCS is the lighter 6 switch woodgrain model.

To me...two models come to mind...

The first and absolute Real VCS is the original Heavy Sixer models..from circa *77.

But other than that...I would say the 4 switch woody model intruduced in 80 I believe. That was the first VCS I had...and I wish I still did have. As it was also the first VCS I repaired...hehe...

I only mention the original Heavy Sixer model since that was the 1st VCS to arrive to the home. But there are some compatibility issues with that model. I can't think right off hand...but some games are glitchy on it Centipede? Anyway...the 4 switch Woody is 100% compatible..and has a decently constructed planar board it is built on. So to me...that would qualify as the best of the VCS series.

I do still love my Sears Heavy Sixer though...hehe...can't trade her for anything I am afraid.

The all Black Atari Jr. .

Ok not really, but I love this, because is very Rare and I have one.

My first was one of the bigger with 6 switches (I not know if this was a Heavy Sixer or the other one). But in the past it not working so good. Now all consols I have work berfect.

But I play only on one of my Atari Jr. console with the long Rainbow.

I miss now only the Heavy Sixer and an Atari Jr. with small Rainbow.

Matthias

I also agree. The original Heavy Sixer really deserves the title as the "Real VCS". Not only is it the original, but it's built like a tank (and also weighs as much as one!) As a kid, I also had the four-switch version, but then, that also seems to be the most prevalent VCS in existence.

Of course, the 2600 Jr. is nice because of it's more compact form, and the 7800 even nicer because it'll play games from two different systems.

..Al

Hehe...Albert was so cool...he posted that twice...

I am impressed.

Now if you really want the ultimate in 2600 VCS systems...then I would have to say that my 84 model 7800 can't be beat...It's 100% compatible...and doesn't exhibit the odd symptoms of some of the later and cheaper 2600 and 7800 units.

so yeah...the 7800 deserves it's own place in that category of the Ultimate or real VCS. But still...the original Stella...is the only true Stella...

• 5 years later...

The best looking VCS is the darth-vader

4 switch. But it has a cheap motherboard

and many of my cartridges doesnt, work well

with it.

"Cheap motherboard" or not I can attest to the fact that they work for at least 25 years!

Now take that back to 2001 and smoke it! :D

WP

My favorite VCS is the lighter 6 switch woodgrain model.

Mine too. Especially since there is no PAL "Heavy".

Yes, the light sixer is what we got for xmas 1980, as well as the model I play now. My Vader has sucky graphics....and I can't stand the way Jrs look. I'd rather play a modded Fb 2.0.

Heavy Sixer compatibility problems??? Wha???

I still have my orig heavy sixer from Christmas '78. Came wtih CX-40's though not CX-10's like my buddy's. It still works, and still has all the mods I made to it back in 1980. (Removable AV cable, Socketed Hex buffer IC, and Power on LED)

It's funny, I noticed the light sixers back in the day and always thought, "mine's the collectors item." LOL

It's the original. It's the real thing. I do use my 7800, instead, though. Makes more sense to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by the 'REAL"vcs?do you mean real, as in your favourite,or the original?.Since the 1st vcs available to public was the heavy sixer,doesnt that fact alone make it the "REAL" vcs?I mean ,usually the first version of anything is the "REAL"one or original right?so,with that said,I'd say the heavy 6er is the "REAL" vcs,and I only wish I had one!The 6 switch models are way more convenient to use,i mean having to reach behind to get access to the switches is retarted and awkward,I use the 6 switch vcs exclusively.

Edited by Rik

What do you mean by the 'REAL"vcs?do you mean real, as in your favourite,or the original?.Since the 1st vcs available to public was the heavy sixer,doesnt that fact alone make it the "REAL" vcs?I mean ,usually the first version of anything is the "REAL"one or original right?so,with that said,I'd say the heavy 6er is the "REAL" vcs,and I only wish I had one!The 6 switch models are way more convenient to use,i mean having to reach behind to get access to the switches is retarted and awkward,I use the 6 switch vcs exclusively.

It's mostly just point of view, rather than literal meaning, I think. Of course the first one is the real one.

I'm sure Tempest would shudder at the fact that I have, amid my 'keeper' systems, a Sunnyvale Sears TeleGames heavy sixer, too. :P