IGNORED

A52 MaxiCart for Atari 5200

Avraham

Got my cart in today!  Here's a few things:

1. It works fine with Virtual PC under OS X.  I was able to flash it without issues.  However, it won't work through the keyboard, only through its own dedicated USB port.

2. "Utopia" works on a real 5200! :)  However, the joystick routine doesn't.  I suspected that before, but it's been confirmed.  Also, I see my colors are way off - water that on an emulator is blue, is purple on the TV.. doh!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Now I have to see if it works with one of the older PC emulators on my older G3 running OS 9. If not I'll just get the new Office with Virtual PC and then I can throw out the crappy no-brand PC I have sitting here.

Allan

Finally hooked up my 5200 to test it, and I have to say, the MaxiCart is GREAT! Works absolutely as advertised, very easy to program (takes maybe 30-45 seconds on the P3/700 I'm on right now). It's pretty strange to play Crystal Castles on a 5200! (not to mention the homebrews and such)

Great job!!

(stupid question edited out as I figured it out within seconds of posting..)

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine too. I like it. However, I cannot get it to play Pitfall. The program runs fine except Harry cannot move down(this makes it impossible to get off of a vine, so it's unplayable). My joystick is working on all other games I've tested. Is anyone else running into this problem? Any suggestions on how I can fix it?

I'm not sure about that.

The 2port/pitfall bug causes the game to not start up/crash. It sounds more like either your 5200 or controller pot needs a slight calibration tweak.

Mitch

Pitfall! starts up and runs fine even with sounds on the Maxicart(I do not have the cartridge of Pitfall!). I can fall into pits but cannot pull down onto a ladder. I can climb up a ladder. I cannot pull down to exit off of a vine. My one controller(the only one) seems to work Perfectly on all other games I've played. I havn't had the 5200 very long, so there could be more things like this for me to yet discover. :sad: Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure about that.  

The 2port/pitfall bug causes the game to not start up/crash. It sounds more like either your 5200 or controller pot needs a slight calibration tweak.

Mitch is right. Pitfall wouldn't start up on a 2-port BIOS so I don't think that's the problem :?

Just for reference, Pitfall!, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shoot-Out have problems with the 2-port BIOS (at least the ones dumped here).

Read the Did Atari know about the 2-port incompatibility thread for ROM hacks that will get them to work on a 2-port BIOS.

I'm not sure about that.

Mitch

Pitfall! starts up and runs fine even with sounds on the Maxicart(I do not have the cartridge of Pitfall!). I can fall into pits but cannot pull down onto a ladder. I can climb up a ladder. I cannot pull down to exit off of a vine. My one controller(the only one) seems to work Perfectly on all other games I've played. I havn't had the 5200 very long, so there could be more things like this for me to yet discover. :sad: Thanks for the help.

Definitely a calibration issue then. Not all games use the same analog range for the directions, so it's probably just slightly off. It would be hard to tell for sure without another controller or a test cart.

Mitch

Finally got a chance to try out my Maxi cart today. I can't beleive how cool this thing is. I've been playing Blaster for a little while. It's so cool on the real hardware. Can't wait to start writing my own programs and trying them with the Maxicart. A++.

Now we just need a 5200 High Score Cart. :)

Allan

Can't he load a Testcart rom onto the Maxicart?

Good point. I don't why I didn't think of that. :)

Mitch

Thanks for the extra consideration on my problem. It was worth the time. It wasn't the BIOS problem after all. I was able to get it to work finally, after your expert advise. Thanks to all!

• 1 month later...