IGNORED

best joysticks?

Lance

Hi,

I just dug my old Atari 2600 from the crawlspace. Needless to say I am very excited to fire the old mother up after a 15 year hiatus, but I don't have the joysticks anymore!

So here's my question: what are the best brand(s) of joysticks to get for the 2600 in terms of durability and durability/price (or any other criterion)? I remember those things breaking all the time when I was a kid, and since they aren't available in every KMart in the country anymore I'd like to get some that will last awhile. Any suggestions? I don't necessarily want some $50 joystick made of titanium, just a good one for the $. Also, are there any particularly bad brands to stay away from?

Thanks a lot...

Lance

Personally I like the standard Atari CX-40 joystick, it's comfortable and very durable. I also use something called a Gemstik, these look like the regular joystick but have a large yellow fire button (which makes it much easier to hit).

Almost any joystick will do, I'd stay away from any of those odd specality joysticks because most were just pieces of garbage or didn't work well. I think Best Electronics sells new joysticks still.

Tempest

I was always fond of the Epyx 500XJ as it was one of the first controllers designed with an ergonomic perspective. Something Atari certainly needed a lesson in given their terrible 5200 and 7800 controllers (the Jaguar was a bit better, but then, it didn't have a joystick).

And of course the standard Atari joystick always worked well for me, although it could become painful playing some games for extremely long periods of time.

..Al

After playing Asteroids for two hours strait, my hand cramped around the joystick base... I had to pry the thing out of my hand and soak my hand in hot water. Needless to say, the standard Atari joysticks are still my favorite. After my hand cramped that one time, I hacked an old NES pad to work on the Atari. They are good alternatives to the controller sometimes, but I still like the Atari joysticks.

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

My recommendation is also the Epyx 500XJ, if the constant clicking doesn't drive you bonkers, although i had problems with breakage (esp. on hardcore games like Decathlon). Regular 2600 joysticks are good choices and you can usually find those dirt cheap and in good working order. If you have been playing newer systems a lot recently (until I got my 2600 a year ago it had been 14 years since I touched a 2600!!!) then the best way to go would be a Sega Genesis joypad, you use the 'B' button to fire, it is durable, accurate, and good for most games (except games like Decathlon) it is still my controller of choice when I play 2600, until I can get used to the stick again.

For the longest time I had the Epyx 500XJ. It was probably one of the most comfortable sticks I ever used, and the microswitches were clean and responsive.

Other joysticks I liked:

- The joystick/paddle combo that came with the Coleco Gemini

The corrugated, hard joystick dug into the hand after a while, unfortunately, but despite that it was comfortable, and the integrated paddles were a great idea.

- Colecovision's joystick

Really comfortable; the flat-topped joystick made controlling with the fingers or the palm of your hand just as easy.

- The Wico SlickStick

Fairly comfortable and very solid and reliable, but I could never get used to the fact that the stick had almost no play to it. It was kinda the joystick equivalent of a membrane keyboard; very little tactile feedback. Still, it was built like a tank.

Anyone interested in an Atari joystick made from actual ardace parts? I can build them, and I figured I'd ask if anyone would want to buy one. They wouldn't be super cheap, due to the prices I have to pay for the parts. But if anyone would be willing to pay >$30 for a high quality joystick, feel free to email me at - ian.primus@usa.net . I don't know exactly how much it will be, but I think it will be a little over $30. I can also build two button 7800 compatible ones.

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

Sticks I like:

- Wico Command Control (arcade quality)

- Epyx 500XJ

- Amiga Powerstick

- Suncom Tac-2

- Coin Controls Competition Pro

- Sega Genesis controller (for some games)

Decent:

- Spectravideo sticks

- Discwasher sticks

- Atari standard sticks

Stay Away:

- Radio Shack

- Some Suncom's (break easily)

My favorites have been the Mindscape Powerplayer, and theEpyx one that everyone is mentioning..

The mindscape has a trigger for a fire button -- you hold the stick like a gun -- with the joystick on top. I don't know about most gamers, but I love the clicking sound...

i've converted all kinds of controls to atari. the best are nintendo joypads, or i have a "sega genesis arcade stick" that i converted to 7800, and covered with woodgrain, it rules, and it can sit in your lap while you play.

My favorites for Atari-compatible controllers were the Atari Space Age joystick (which worked great for maze games) and the Suncom Joy-Sensor, which was the forerunner to those Triax Turbo Touch gamepads for the NES, Genesis, and Super NES systems -- the controllers with the touch-sensitive joypads.

• 12 years later...

Everyone is going to have a different opinion but I think the only appeal of the Atari brand sticks is nostalgia.

I'd use in order of preference

- 3 button Genesis pad, knock off's are on ebay dirt cheap and are very durable

- Epyx 500, uses a stick but is much better quality

- slik stik, can be had on ebay for a decent price also. Is more similar to the original but is a better design according to some.

Wow, speaking of nostalgia, this thread is over twelve years old!

But anyway ... I generally stick with the stock controllers for all my consoles, so I tend to use the CX-40. It's an easy controller to repair, clean, and maintain, and it's still easy to obtain replacement parts. I do appreciate the third-party alternatives, though, especially the Epyx 500XJ and Wico's leaf-switch joysticks.

Odd how old threads get revived like this. I think it's because people use the search function to make sure they don't replicate threads, then unknowingly revive ancient ones.

In any case. I think the genesis controller is a good option from an ergonomic point of view.

Me personally, I have a Wico command stick I got for a steal at goodwill a year ago. I prefer that to my old crappy CX-40's.