IGNORED

Philly Classic Mystery Prototype Contest

Tempest

The peeps don't read the clues or rules very well, do they?

I like the logic that I used for my pick, but really don't believe in a million years that I'm right about ROTJ. There were a couple of picks made before mine which I find much more plausible.

Ooh, I just at this second realized which game it probably really is. I remember reading a rumor of a certain game (back from around the 83 CES I think) coming soon for the 5200 but heard nothing more about it since so I figured it died in the concept stage. That game fits all the clues and I haven't heard any of today's gamers even speak rumors about it. If this is the one, then a lucky dude other than myself is gonna be happily surprized.

i propose this:

if nobody has guessed correctly yet, then tempest should post:

"nobody has guessed correctly"

any other post by tempest other than the above implies it has already been guessed. also, if tempest does not reply, that also means it has already been guessed correctly.

there, now tempest does not have to post an admission that someone has guessed it correctly, letting him off the hook. but you can infer from what he does or does not post, that someone has/has not guessed it.

;)

now all you have to do is figure out if tempest is following this proposal or not. :D

Ok this is my first post now if i guess correctly i dont want the game as I dont have an Atari 5200 but my guess is Quagmire the mystery game that name appeares on the 5200 Menu cart i mean no 1 knows what this game even is so thats my guess :D

I looked into that one and I think Quagmire might have been the working title for Countermeasure.

Here's the dictionary definition of Quagmire, maybe someone has some idea as to what games this may have been a working title for:

quag·mire  

n.  

1. Land with a soft muddy surface.

2. A difficult or precarious situation; a predicament.

Since there's no arcade game of the same name, I doubt this is the prototype Tempest found. I would like to know what the heck Quamire may have been, though :ponder:

I looked into that one and I think Quagmire might have been the working title for Countermeasure.

Actually it's not. If you look at that Menu prototype I have you'll see Failsafe listed. Failsafe was the WIP name for Countermeasure.

Tempest

i propose this:

if nobody has guessed correctly yet, then tempest should post:

"nobody has guessed correctly"

any other post by tempest other than the above implies it has already been guessed.  

now all you have to do is figure out if tempest is following this proposal or not.   :D

OK, tempest posted but did not say "nobody has guessed correctly". that implies someone HAS guessed correctly. everyone can stop guessing now. :wink:

Well I just got home.. 10:00 pm Pacific Time. Shouldn't this contest be over now? :P

Deadline for entering is 11:59pm Thursday March 18. (no cheating by seeing it at the show)

:ponder:

The winner will be announced Saturday evening after the show closes.  

:P

BIG BIRD HIDE N' SEEK! (just kidding)...

No, actually I'll guess GRAVITAR, but only because I really like the game, and would be VERY happy to get a copy of this game if I turned out to be correct...send the repro 5200 cart to...oops, getting ahead of myself.

Damn, so many guesses, so few credible answers . . . I think it's been guessed, there are three or four really highly possible ones, none of which are Bosconian (my original guess).

But if it could have been an arcade game created prior to '82, like Tempest said, it could be Bosconian . . . But that makes positively no sense if it was based on a title made mid-crash.

It has to be a) possible on the hardware, b) most likely analog (it seems to point out that the 5200 version was the basis for the arcade game, not the comp version, which would of course utilize the CX-40.), c) fit the timeframe, and d) fit the description.

I can think of one great one that fits the first three very well that's been said and a few that haven't. My guess is that d) is a bit of a misdirection. Any game faster than 3-D Tic Tac Toe is positively frantic compared to today's framerates. :)

Just thought of two more closely related games that would be insanely, amazingly sweet, not to mention the fact that they're similar to an Atari arcade title that for some insane reason never made it to the 5200 or 7800. . . And they'd fit all the criteria. Except maybe the release dates, but I think the first of the two was '86 at the very latest.

But nobody said them, so that is almost certainly not it.

Dammit, I was almost marking out for Indy Heat/Off-Road or perhaps Sprint 8 there for a second. . . :) Nah . . .

Any game faster than 3-D Tic Tac Toe is positively frantic compared to today's framerates

That's it! You've guessed it! The game is indeed 3-D Tic Tac Toe. Behold the raw power of the 5200! :!:

Sorry, just thought I'd liven up the thread a bit. :D

Tempest