IGNORED

A Sadistic Dragonfire Hack

Atarius Maximus

There's really only one significant change here: The dragon shoots his fireballs much faster when you're inside the castle.

This version's a little more difficult than the original. :evil:

EDIT: If anyone's interested, I can tweak the speed of the fireballs a little faster or a little slower, and release multiple versions of the hack (Sort of Sadistic, Definitely Sadistic, Mega Sadistic, etc) :D

EDIT #2: By the way, I created this using the commented disassembly posted on AtariAge a while back. The original programmer, Bob Smith, let Al post it (many thanks to Bob and Dennis Debro!), here's the link to the original thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ight=dragonfire

dragonfirehack.zip

There is a way to fry it and get a super fast dragon on the castle. I have played around frying this one quite a bit. (it is on a 8 game multicart I have that when the toggle switches are flipped with power on will give some strange effects)

Great hack though, I never thought dragonfire was too easy as an original, so I don't know how far I will get with this hack. :)

Any faster and surely the game will become unplayable :ponder:

It's definitely still playable, but is much harder. I just wanted to make one of my favorite games a little more challenging.

Have you ever tried Thomas' Sadistroids? I was trying to accomplish something similar with this hack. ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ght=sadistroids

AM

Heh, I know, there's no point to it. I'm just having a little fun here, so cut me some slack! ;):)

Ok, on that note, here's another pointless, boring revision. :) This makes the "Easy" hack a little easier yet. I've made the player run about twice as fast, so you can run across the bridge faster. You'll usually make it across before anything is even fired at you.

No more pointless hacks, I promise. |icon_innocent.gif

AM

dragonfireeasy2.zip

so are any of these legitimate full fledged hacks I should add to the Hacks Page or are you kids just playing around?

I was kind of playing around with the easy versions of the hacks, but I did intend the more challenging version to be "legitimate". They're all code hacks, so it did take a LITTLE bit of extra work. ;)

AM

Wow, the fireballs are insanely fast in the 3rd castle, I still haven't managed to get past it. Hint: In the first two castles, stay at the top of the screen as much as you can to avoid fire, just drop down to grab treasure and run back up. I've been able to get past the first two pretty easily without losing any lives. :D

• 17 years later...
On 3/17/2004 at 12:44 PM, Atarius Maximus said:

Heh, I know, there's no point to it. I'm just having a little fun here, so cut me some slack! ;):)

Ok, on that note, here's another pointless, boring revision. :) This makes the "Easy" hack a little easier yet. I've made the player run about twice as fast, so you can run across the bridge faster. You'll usually make it across before anything is even fired at you.

No more pointless hacks, I promise. |icon_innocent.gif

AM

dragonfireeasy2.zipUnavailable

Hacks like this that make tough games easier are not pointless to me. I love Dragonfire and keep trying to play it. Such a great concept. It's so incredibly hard for me though that I rarely ever get past the bridge.  I have vision and hand-eye coordination challenges from a birth defect, so any time I can find games that don't require what seem like super-human reflexes is wonderful.  I really appreciate this.