IGNORED

2600 Side Scrollers?

videotwit

I know it's bad form to follow up your own post, but my brain freeze just thawed - I remembered Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle.

The question remains, though... are there any decent side scrollers for the 2600 besides pitfall? (subtle slam on Smurf there)

Opivy the only time Pitfall 2 scrolls it when you move up or down..not left to right. Twit did mention Side Scroller...so in that respect neither Pitfall! or Pitfall 2 really scrolled from side to side.

Now Krull does on the desert scene sorta...or at least the hacked the code to give that impression. Plus Krull owns me currently right now...good game!

If you gonna talk about just games that featured more than one scene then don't forget:

Adventure

Haunted House

Krull (Stated above)

Tunnel Runner

a few others that escape me right now..

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

Yep. Opivy10 is right. Pitfall never scrolled and I don't remember the Smurf game scrolling either. Keystone Kapers is the same way, just with more levels.

--------------------

Twit said, "I do agree that Keystone Kapers rules, however, I think I'd classify it more as a climbing game (in the realm of Donkey Kong / DK Jr., etc) rather than a side scroller."

Electronic Games 1983 Software Encyclopedia said the category for Donkey Kong is "climbing."

Donkey Kong is a multi level obstacle course with ladders. If you think about it, Pitfall is a variation of Donkey Kong. Pitfall has two levels, obstacles, and ladders.

Keystone Kapers has many levels, obstacles but no ladders. All it has are escalators and elevators, so you could argue that it is less like Donkey Kong than Pitfall.

--------------------

Albert said, "I think we should categorize the games in our database."

You could check Electronic Games 1983 Software Encyclopedia to see what categories they used.

Here are some of the categories they had (with examples):

Adventure: Adventure, Superman, Haunted House, Riddle of the Sphinx, Venture, Dragon Stomper

Adventure-Maze: Escape from the Mindmaster

Ball-and-Paddle: Breakout, Circus Atari, Warlords, Video Olympics

Catch: Lost Luggage

Classic Strategy: Video Chess, Bridge, Checkers

Climbing: Donkey Kong, Airlock, Spider-Man

Climbing-Shoot-out: Infiltrate

Combat: Yars' Revenge, Armor Ambush, Laser Blast, Suicide Mission, Room of Doom

Driving: Night Driver, Turbo

First-Person Space Piloting and Shooting (How about "First Person Space Shooter"?): Starmaster, Phaser Patrol

Invasion: Demon Attack, Communist Mutants from Space, Threshold, Encounter at L-5

Line-Building: Surround, Tape Worm

Maze: Dodge'em

Maze-Chase: Pac-Man, Mouse Trap, Lock 'N' Chase, Jawbreaker, Maze Craze, Journey Escape

Maze Shoot-out: Berzerk, Marauder, Wizard of War, Dark Cavern

Racing: Dragster, Grand Prix, Indy 500

Scrolling Shoot-out: Defender, Chopper Command, River Raid, The Empire Strikes Back, Space Jockey

Sports: Basketball, Bowling, Boxing, Golf, Ice Hockey

Steering: Barnstorming

Target: Air-Sea Battle, Astro Blast, Atlantis, Bugs, Carnival, Cross Force, Fishing Derby, Frogs and Flies, Stampede

Thrust-Fire: Asteroids

Wall-Bashing: Fireball

War: Robot Commando Raid

These are just examples. I don't like some of their choices. For example they said Journey Escape is a "Maze-Chase" game. Where's the maze? It's a vertical-scrolling obstacle course. I don't know what you would call that category. It plays more like Enduro or Night Driver but it's not a driving game.

Games like Defender could be called "Side Scrolling Shooters" and games like River Raid could be called "Vertical Scrolling Shooters."

There are so many choices, good luck creating categories. It could drive you crazy.

Wow, that's quite a list of categories. I personally believe the categories should be much broader than those Electronic Games used. I would consider Pitfall, Pitfall II, and Keystone Kapers "Platform" games in the same sense that Super Mario Brothers. When I think of side-scrollers, I conjure images of Gradius and Vanguard.

I'll have to do some research to see how other sites and periodicals categorize games. Many games are obvious, but there certainly are quite a few that are tough to nail down to any one category (and there's no reason why a game couldn't belong to several, except that it's a little more complex to program.. )

Oh yeah, besides adding more detail to individual games, one great benefit to categorizing the games is we could very easily allow you to view games by category. For instance, if you wanted to see all the Side-Scrollers for the 2600, you'd be able to quite easily do so...

..Al

Yep. That would be cool to bring up all games of certain category.

If you make more changes like that, could you also have an # to A to Z link list so that we can also click on "B" for example and see all of the Atari 2600 games that start with "b?"

Thanks.

If you make more changes like that, could you also have an # to A to Z link list so that we can also click on "B" for example and see all of the Atari 2600 games that start with "b?"

Yeah, that's on my list of things to do. In general, we have plans to add more advanced search capabilities, which means we'll end up with a separate search page with tons of options. Adding shortcuts to jump directly to a certain letter will be added to the main rarity query at some point (probbaly before the advanced query page gets written!)

..Al

Pitfall may be the most obvious example, but are there any other decent 2600 side scrolling games? Maybe I am just having a brain freeze, but I can't think of any.

Although I don't have an answer for you off the top of my head, you do bring up an interesting point. I think we should categorize the games in our database. For instance, these could be:

- Sports

- Adventure

- Action

- Learning

- Puzzle

and so forth. We'd have to come up with a decent list that encompasses most games. Some, like the Color Bar Generator, wouldn't really fit in any category (which is fine). What do you guys think?

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

I guess I'd concider Keystone Kapers a side scroller, it pretty much rules.

I do agree that Keystone Kapers rules, however, I think I'd classify it more as a climbing game (in the realm of Donkey Kong / DK Jr., etc) rather than a side scroller.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I think we should categorize the games in our database.

That would probably be handy from a research standpoint. How far would you break down the categories? The 5 you listed would work nicely, but "action" and "adventure" would have to be pretty well defined to keep the level of confusion down.

Tough questions to bang out, but I think it would be a great asset to have an option to view your database archives by these type of catagories.

quote:

Although I don't have an answer for you off the top of my head, you do bring up an interesting point. I think we should categorize the games in our database. For instance, these could be:

- Sports

- Adventure

- Action

- Learning

- Puzzle

and so forth. We'd have to come up with a decent list that encompasses most games. Some, like the Color Bar Generator, wouldn't really fit in any category (which is fine). What do you guys think?

Perhaps we should add a category for "Good idea ruined by rushed programming". It could include Pac-Man and ET...

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

For something Pac-Man and ET...they need a reviews section here at the Age. Reviews of the games for each Atari System.

However, Alex and Albert should be selective in this area...but for the reviews to be categorized genre of the game would have to be specified as well.

Just thought I would throw more basil into the soup there...

Albert:

I forgot to mention something else. You said, "When I think of side-scrollers, I conjure images of Gradius and Vanguard."

Whatever you call your "side-scroller" category, remember that Vanguard is a "side-scroller" and a "vertical-scroller."

It's also a floor wax and a dessert topping.

MaO:

My two of my favorite side-scrollers are Subterranea and Laser Gates, both by Imagic. Unless I'm forgetting one, I think Stargate is my third favorite.

I borrowed Vanguard from a guy at school when it was new and I thought it was good, but it didn't compare to the similar Laser Gates.

I thought Laser Gates had sharper and more colorful images. I also thought that Vanguard looked sort of blocky and unprofessional compared to Laser Gates.

I wonder if Vanguard was another one of Atari's rush jobs. It could have been much better.

Side scrollers that I loved was Fantastic Voyage and Chopper Command (Stargate is awesome too).

As far as I'm concerned Fantastic Voyage is one of the most underrated games on the 26. Graphics were minimal, but I loved the play. Reminded me of Scramble. (Now I have to go play my Konami Arcade Classics on my PSX)

Inky:

I sort of forgot about Fantastic Voyage. I played that game non-stop for about a month back when it was semi-new. But, wasn't that more of a vertical-scroller like River Raid?

I also thought Activision did a better job on Chopper Command than Atari did on Defender. Atari did do a great job on Stargate though, didn't they?

You're right about fantastic voyage being a vertical scroller. I forgot about that. Anyone have one to sell?

Chopper Command was the Bomb (to quote the youngsters of today ) One of only 2 Atari games I got a perfect score on. The other was Pitfall 2.

Stargate kicked major leauge butt! How they got the game virtually indistinguishable from the arcade is incredible!

Spelling errors are free, at no cost to you, the consumer.