IGNORED

robotfindskitten 7800

Tom

hello

here's some preview of robotfindskitten for the 7800 =)

this is the ntsc version, a pal version is underway.

does anybody have the possibility to test this on real hardware ?

[edit: use the latest version from from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=152194]

cheers

thomas

Edited by Tom

Hmm, doesn't go up on a real 7800. Also, there seems to be some graphic corruption in the lower right part of the screen.

Interesting game, I assume the other versions have the same type of graphics?

Mitch

Hmm, doesn't go up on a real 7800.

you mean, you can't move up ? neither in the menu nor during the game ?

Also, there seems to be some graphic corruption in the lower right part of the screen.

can you take a picture of this ? does this occur always or only when you're moving around or so ?

when testing it on mess i noticed that my code to seed the random number generator doesn't work. i don't know wether it's my code that's broken or mess. if you replay the game on a real 7800 (you have to switch the unit on and off), does the game display always the same objects ?

Hmm, doesn't go up on a real 7800.

you mean, you can't move up ? neither in the menu nor during the game ?

Also, there seems to be some graphic corruption in the lower right part of the screen.

can you take a picture of this ? does this occur always or only when you're moving around or so ?

when testing it on mess i noticed that my code to seed the random number generator doesn't work. i don't know wether it's my code that's broken or mess. if you replay the game on a real 7800 (you have to switch the unit on and off), does the game display always the same objects ?

Up works in the menu but not in the game.

You can see the graphic corruption in the latest version of MESS (.80).

I don't have my NTSC 7800 hooked up at the moment (doing some PAL testing) but I'll try to test the random part this evening.

Mitch

eric: it's written in cc65. after all, that whole project started out as a linker configuration file and startup code for cc65.

i didn't bother to compile a library, i just link to the c64 library. that's ok, since all the different libraries contain the same code.

as long as you don't attempt to do any platform dependent stuff like file i/o, which would pull in c64 specific stuff, this is ok.

i might make a separate library anyway, so that you don't have to worry about not calling any c64 specific functions. this wouldn't be a lot of work, basically i just have to add a new target to the library makefile that calls ar65 and includes only the platform independent object files.

i will release the source code soon, but i wanted to clean up the makefile a bit and in the meantime my pc crashed on me (fortunately i do have a backup of the latest version), so i have to fix that first.

some notes about the linker script/startup code: unlike for other platforms i've written code for with c (gba/gp32) i find it hard to write such stuff for the atari 7800 that will work fine for anyone. on the atari 7800 you have some constraints where and how you have to place your gfx data. this is tedious to do in c, assembler works better there. one might perhaps want to introduce another read only data section where all gfx data is placed, and only put data into that section using ca65. or so.

one might also want to adjust the data/bss/heap/stack stuff. in this setup i use the lower 2112 bytes for data/bss, the middle 64 bytes aren't used at all and the upper 1.5k are for the parameter stack, and there's no heap.

raindog: i'm also responsible for a gp32 version =)

http://members.vantage.ch/killer/rfkgp32.html

mitch: sorry for asking again: the rng itself works fine, i know that, but is it seeded so that everytime you *boot* up the console and start a game the objects are distributed differently ?

also, even with mess 0.8 i can't see the garbage at the bottom of the screen (i can see it with the PAL emulator, but i think this is normal, since the display list list contains only enough scanlines for an NTSC TV). well, perhaps we have to wait until i can get my hands on the code again and publish it, so that eric can have a look at it =)

mitch: sorry for asking again: the rng itself works fine, i know that, but is it seeded so that everytime you *boot* up the console and start a game the objects are distributed differently ?

also, even with mess 0.8 i can't see the garbage at the bottom of the screen (i can see it with the PAL emulator, but i think this is normal, since the display list list contains only enough scanlines for an NTSC TV). well, perhaps we have to wait until i can get my hands on the code again and publish it, so that eric can have a look at it =)

Yes, they are different after a full restart. One note, I am testing with my CC2 so I have to redownload the game after a power off. I don't know if that would make a difference though. I suppose I could burn it to an EPROM and test it.

I'll try to get a screen shot of the graphics issue so you can see what I'm talking about. :)

Mitch

One note, I am testing with my CC2 so I have to redownload the game after a power off. I don't know if that would make a difference though. I suppose I could burn it to an EPROM and test it.

No, that doesn't make a difference (as far as i can tell). You see, right at the beginning the game launches the 6532 timer, and as soon as you start the first game it takes the timer's value and seeds the generator with it. Since a human isn't able to hit the joystick button always at exactly the same time (the timer runs so fast...), you get a different seed each time (out of 256 possible seeds). To make sure the user doesn't press fire before he powers up the console the input code always waits until the fire key is released and pressed again. I use this technique on the GBA all the time.

So, to sum it up, you don't have to burn an EPROM =)

thanks for testing !

• 1 year later...
Hi there!

Any news on this project?

Greetings,

Manuel

849385[/snapback]

It's waiting for a bug to be fixed (some problem with joystick input, reported by mitch). iirc the video bug apparently wasn't a bug at all, just the wrong kind of ROM on the wrong kind of console.

Oh, and there's the Megahyperdeath patch...

• 1 month later...
Cannot get it to work in MESS095. Hmmmm.

877151[/snapback]

Probably MESS doesn't know what to do with a tarball. Unpack the .A78 file (winzip/winrar/winace should be able to read TGZ files) and place it in the software\a7800 directory of your MESS installation.

Thanks again for testing, Mitch. It took me over a year to publish the code and wait for someone to find the bug for me, but it was well worth the effort :D

Edited by Tom

I just tried out RvK on my CC2/7800 console .. and I could not get the joystick to go UP.  Works in all other CC2 games.

Did you use the version from sourceforge, or the version attached to this thread ?