IGNORED

Blaster 5200 & 8-bit Protos Released

Albert

i found the game absolutly awful... aaarrg.... but it seems that the gameplay is good enough...maybe i'll give it a try... (i hate slow gfx and antic e games i.g. ;))

re: atr

as the exe is posted you can run "xboot filename" to make an selfbooting ATR out of the file so you can play that easily via sio2pc....

xboot is part of the xasm package...

http://xasm.atari.org

ps. your "command line" in XP is opened by entering "CMD" in the "start/execute" menu... ;)

I think they hinted at its existence during the making of the GC port and someone jumped at that hint and begged until we got to play it.  

Nope. The prototype rom just appered out of the blue one day. Someone was already in contact with Jarvis about reserrecting the Blaster arcade prototype (and another unreleased game), and he was given the prototypes for the 8-bit version to look at. Since he wasn't an Atari person (he was only interested in the arcade roms) he looked me up and let me release them. I didn't even know that Jarvis had talked about it until someone told me that's how the figured out the mystery game.

Tempest

It seems utterly bizarre that in all his interviews Mr. Jarvis never once mentioned the whole home-to-arcade angle of Blaster. So did he actually program this himself?

At the very least this info should be disseminated to the major classic arcading haunts (KLOV, rgvac, yadda yadda).

EDIT: Well, a bit of usenet spelunking reveals that this was sort-of already known! Apparently in Eugene Jarvis' video segment on Williams Arcade Classics (this is back in 1995) he mentions a version of Blaster for the Atari home computers.

It seems utterly bizarre that in all his interviews Mr. Jarvis never once mentioned the whole home-to-arcade angle of Blaster. So did he actually program this himself?

At the very least this info should be disseminated to the major classic arcading haunts (KLOV, rgvac, yadda yadda).

EDIT: Well, a bit of usenet spelunking reveals that this was sort-of already known! Apparently in Eugene Jarvis' video segment on Williams Arcade Classics (this is back in 1995) he mentions a version of Blaster for the Atari home computers.

It pays to watch those little clips. :)

It's actually "the other guy" (I forget his name) in the interview that mentions that Blaster was originally programmed for the Atari computers and then later made for the arcades. Jarvis then goes on to elaborate that both games were smothered by the Great Videogame Crash.

I always figured that Blaster had been released on disc or something for the Atari computers. I don't know much about what was available for them. It only occurred to me recently that not only would a 5200 port be extremely reasonable, but would have made a lot of sense to do precisely that for a high action/arcade style game like Blaster.

I would have begged for this game back in the day. I absolutely adored the space fighter sim/shooters.

I think they hinted at its existence during the making of the GC port and someone jumped at that hint and begged until we got to play it.  

Nope. The prototype rom just appered out of the blue one day. Someone was already in contact with Jarvis about reserrecting the Blaster arcade prototype (and another unreleased game), and he was given the prototypes for the 8-bit version to look at.

Another unreleased arcade game? **drool** Probably some more quality shooter goodness no one has seen yet . . .

Another unreleased arcade game? **drool** Probably some more quality shooter goodness no one has seen yet . . .

I don't remember the details, but it's unfinished and uses a spinner (like Tempest). I don't think the guy had it working yet (just some source code).

Tempest

Is it really that hard to figure out how to play Blaster? Tip #1: Shoot everything. I was lucky enough to play it in the arcades, and when I got the PS version I made it to Paradise in one game (albiet with many continues). But I really kick ass as shooters.

It is a damn, damn shame that Jeff Minter decided to take on Defender as his last Jaguar project instead of Blaster. Blaster already looks like a Minter game... a few killer sheep would fit in perfectly with all the vampires and cats and giant brains.

I agree totally. Defender didn't "scale" to 2000 status all that well IMO, and ended up being better in classic mode. Blaster is more of a Jag-Blitter-gone-crazy type game.

-Bry

Just played the 800 version now and boy is it cool!

I never thought it would actually be this good!

I reckon that it wasn't released because of the 5200's fiddly controllers!

You would go one way without stopping struggling to move and eventually crash and lose a life

anyway Star Wars the arcade game can eat my shorts! Blaster is the king

of arcade space flight shooting sims! :D

{EDIT: now we just gotta find Quagmire! :) }

[EDIT 2: Tempest your avatar alien was tottally destroyed several times! LOL] :D :P :D

Played it on my 5200 with MaxiCart last night and it was a blast! (pun semi-intended) I got like 99,700 points on my first game. The controllers actually worked pretty well, it gave a very neat "flying in the cockpit" sort of feel. It did feel a bit slow to respond at times-- who would've thought I'd be wondering about a 5200 game's frame rate?? ;)

I tried it out on Midway Arcade Classics on my Cube and have to say I like the 5200 version better-- the arcade version seemed much more difficult, and while control felt tighter, it seemed harder to actually hit any of the aliens.

Thanks to everyone who made the proto release a reality!!

(edited for clarity ;) )

519,600 . . . WOOOOOO!!! How do you make screenshots w/ Atari800Win?

And some strategy tips...

On the ground stages, hug the ground, the robots' shots will not hit you.

On the -3 stages, concentrate on the TIEs since they're easiest to group, and avoid all kamikazes unless you're certain you can get them all.

Never miss the E!

519,600 . . . WOOOOOO!!!  How do you make screenshots w/ Atari800Win?

To save screen snapshot

The Save screenshot commands write current Atari display to a PCX file. The image is always of size 336x240 and it may be generated in one of following ways:

· Normal (F10) – the actual Atari display is written to the PCX file. Indexed Color (8 bits per pixel) mode is used,

· Interlaced (Shift+F10) – the average of two consecutive display frames is written to the PCX file. This is special feature for a display method used on Atari to get more colors, called interlace. The file is in True Color (24 bits per pixel) mode.

After you select a Save screenshot command, a Save file as dialog box opens. Default, unique file name in the form of atariNNN.pcx (where NNN is a three-digit number) is generated automatically. You can accept the file name or type other one.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying the game. It's not often you come across an unreleased game of this quality.

I'm still trying to get in touch with Eugene, if I do I'll point him to this thread and hopefully get him to post a few words.

Tempest

Glad to see everyone is enjoying the game.  It's not often you come across an unreleased game of this quality.

Probably never . . . Considering how this game was actually made before I, Robot, Star Wars Arcade, etc, how much of a mind-blow would Blaster have been if it got launched with the 5200? It would have been the killer app that system needed, too.

Because it still holds up extremely well after 20 years of playing this genre of game . . .