IGNORED

Final Fantasy XI

Tempest

I thought about picking up the game and hard drive this week, but then had the reality check that I have no time to play online nor the interest in paying a monthly fee to do so. Still, I'm enough of an FF dork and a hardware junkie I might buy it anyway, just to own the game and to add a cool 40 GB HD to my PS2 for only $100. How sad and wrong is THAT?

So far I've bought every FF game including that underwhelming Crystal Chronicals. I'm not sure if I would have jumped right out and bought FF XI, except that I got a free HD because I was part of the beta test.

I wish I could find some AA'ers or DP'ers to play with though. I hate playing with strangers that you can't trust.

Tempest

FFXI forces you to party for the vast majority of the game. You have no other option. Even if you could handle soloing monsters to level for long, you'd get very little experience for it. How does expending most of your HP and all of your MP sound when you're getting 12 exp per mob, and you need 6000 to get to the next level? You can't breach level 30 without doing a LONG mission with a party. Not a quest, a mission. Mandatory. There are even more level caps later.

This is my problem with these games, I love being free to do what I want, but I still like a purpose....

This is exactly what FF XI allows you to do. There's an overall story and purpose, but you really don't have to take part in it if you don't want. It's really cool in that respect. Unfortunately it's also really easy to get lost and frustrated since it is so open.

Tempest

I thought about picking up the game and hard drive this week, but then had the reality check that I have no time to play online nor the interest in paying a monthly fee to do so.  Still, I'm enough of an FF dork and a hardware junkie I might buy it anyway, just to own the game and to add a cool 40 GB HD to my PS2 for only $100.  How sad and wrong is THAT?

You sound like me. You might wanna consider picking up a network card and just putting in a hard drive yourself. There have been instructions on the net on how to do this for some time now.

But you figure at $50 for a typical game your paying $50 for the hard-drive. Of course $50 of that is lost if your not playing the game.

I got assigned to Ramuh. I was going to delete my character and shoot for a different server but I had too much fun playing it.

I'm a level 10 Red Mage right now.

Everyone on AA getting the game ought to try to shoot for one server...

I'm tempted every time I see it at the store, but know I really have no time to play an online game where I have to be part of a party, a community, and dedicate hours to it I just don't have. The nice thing about offline RPG's is I can play them at my own pace, when I have the time, and not worry about anybody else.

This may go down as the only FF I don't own, and I'll miss out on the sweet hard drive to boot. :(

It was nice for those few years when online games were being released with the only cost being the initial outlay for the game itself. There has only been one game that I have been willing to pay a per-month price for, and that was barely worth it.

I've seen quite a bit of the early going of FF-XI on the PS2 of a good friend's. And while I'd be willing to pay the $100 for the hard drive and game, so far I don't see anything special enough to warrant an ongoing fee. It is very clever of Square-Enix-Sony to give players a first month for free. Just enough so you start to have investment in your character. Then you literally have to start investing to keep your character.

Brilliant marketing, but not worth it for this gamer. Of course, I am admittedly not a big fan of RPGs, especially MMORPGs. So go ahead and flame me, but I'll wait for Gran Turismo 4. Which might come out sometime before I become eligible for Social Security. Hopefully.