IGNORED

100 Marios GameCube Demo....

Jasoco

I found references to the video, but no shots or clips. Meh...

With the help of one of his staff members, Mr. Futoda, Mr. Miyamoto ran through a very humorous demonstration of the capabilities of the Nintendo GAMECUBE. Within short order he had displayed 128 Marios on the screen, each made up of about 700 polygons (the same model was used in Super Mario 64) running at 60 frames per second. Each Mario ran around on a circular platform, interacting with other Marios and 128 cubes strewn about on the landscape. Throughout the demonstration a green bar at the bottom of the screen monitored the processing time. If that green bar reached all the way to the right side of the screen, the demo would be running at 30 frames per second, the same rate as Super Mario 64. During the entire demo, including the later parts where Mr. Miyamoto warped the flat platform to complicate the demo's real-time physics and collision detection, and applied many special effects to the polygons, the green bar didn't even go halfway across the screen.

I found them sorta..

I had to search for "Super Mario 128 video download" to find a 6-part crude video from IGN.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/084/084030p1.....html?fromint=1

It'll do for now. I was hoping for an actual captured video that wasn't taken by a spectator with a home video camera.

Edit: But it is pretty cool. I'll merge these 6 files with iMovie for now. Too bad it's not an official released one captured from the screen. But hey, what more can I ask for?

Thanks for at least letting me know it was 128.. not 100. Duh! :roll: Silly me.

Still waiting for news of an actual Super Mario 128 (or whatever they decide to call the next Mario game). Nintendo needs something to wash the taste of Super Mario Sunshine out of people's mouths (I liked it... but I realize a lot of people didn't).

--Zero

I still haven't gotten that. I played a demo of it and while I enjoyed being Mario again, it felt "Meh". I was disappointed. I was hoping for the same action and feeling SM64 gave me. And the stupid Players Choice price of $30 is a kick in the nuts. Until that damn game comes to at the most $20, I ain't buying it. :sad:

I'll put it this way...

I can still load up Mario 64 and really get into it even after playing it to death, but sunshine just didn't do it for me.

It has some nice elements, but there is just something about it.

I think Mario Sunshine was less Mario-y than people were hoping for...Mario 64, it was great seeing so many classic elements (Bob ombs, Goombas, layouts, etc) moved into 3D. Mario Sunshine, the island theme dominated the look and feel, and of course the waterpack dominated the play mechanic...which was a good play mechanic, but again, less Mario-y than Mario 64.

I think the question Miyamato et al are asking themselves, is there enough neat territory from 2D Mario that can form the basis for further expansion into 3D?

I'll put it this way...

I can still load up Mario 64 and really get into it even after playing it to death, but sunshine just didn't do it for me.

It has some nice elements, but there is just something about it.

Mario 64 is fun to pickup and play again once in awhile but I feel Sunshine is too, I just love those challenging...um ill call them underworld levels, some of those are really cool

Anyone notice in the Demo (128 Marios) Mario was really skinny?

What's with that? Is this that so called "More adult look" Myamoto was talking about? And what ever happened to that? Mario was supposed to like become darker and more for older crowds instead of just all kids. Seems that either fell through or is happening later. I'd rather he stay the same, though.

Anyone notice in the Demo (128 Marios) Mario was really skinny?

What's with that? Is this that so called "More adult look" Myamoto was talking about? And what ever happened to that? Mario was supposed to like become darker and more for older crowds instead of just all kids. Seems that either fell through or is happening later. I'd rather he stay the same, though.

It was using the same sprite as Super Mario 64... :ponder:

First of all, it's not a Sprite. Second of all, no they weren't.

That Mario is much skinnier than Mario 64 and Sunshine and even Melee. He's not as pudgy.

Ok yes I know it's not a sprite, I just couldn't of think of the right work at the time, model fits nicely. I read that it was the same model used in SM64?

First of all, it's not a Sprite. Second of all, no they weren't.

That Mario is much skinnier than Mario 64 and Sunshine and even Melee. He's not as pudgy.

Ok yes I know it's not a sprite, I just couldn't of think of the right work at the time, model fits nicely. I read that it was the same model used in SM64?
They had to put him on a diet. Because the first thing I thought when that video started was, "Why is he so thin?" And he is. He is very thin. No "Lasagna Belly". Like he cut down on the Pasta for his Debut. VERY ODD LOOKING. No, Nintendo. No.

Edit: Picture below. That is not the same model.

post-1010-1080610344.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine, even after winning it and coming back to it after 4 or 5 months, is probably my favorite game of any kind. Its graphics are the most seamless and fluid of any 3D platformer I've played (and even beat Wind Waker in my book), and the elements like a sense of height and distance in some levels is something I've never seen in another game (as in, ZERO popup AT ALL.) It could very well be that if they'd come out with Mario 128 first, it would have had the same effect just because the GC is so much more powerful than the N64, but I find the water cannon (used as or more often as three different kinds of jet pack) changes the gameplay to a huge degree, and the island setting kinda captures the original hypersaturated Sonic feel more than the blocky Mario feel. In fact, I might have been less inclined to try SMS had it been the typical Mario setting, and playing Mario 64 just feels like some kind of claustrophobic, limited shareware ripoff to me, even though I'd love to see it given a facelift on a bonus disc like Ocarina did.

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to M128 and hoping they port M64 (or something like it) to the DS as a launch title ;)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who really liked Super Mario Sunshine. I think the main problem for most people is that the game didn't have to be a Mario game. You're not in the Mushroom Kingdom, and you're dealing with a whole bunch of new characters (the island inhabitants, rather than the Mushroom folk). In essense, you could have probably replaced Mario with a different character, and the game would have been exactly the same, and no one would have really noticed. The only tie-ins it seems to have are that Bowser shows up in the end, the Princess shows up from time to time, and Yoshi is in there.

Hopefully, Mario 128 will have lots of mushroom folk, Goomba's, Koopa's, and so forth. And where the hell is Luigi?

--Zero

And where the hell is Luigi?

--Zero

The great irony of the Mario series in recent yers is that the biggest complain gamers had about Super Maro 64 was the lack of Luigi...

They make up for this by not including him in any way whatsoever in Sunshine. :P

And where the hell is Luigi?

--Zero

The great irony of the Mario series is that the biggest complain gamers had about Super Maro 64 is the lack of Luigi...

They make up for this by not including him in any way whatsoever in Sunshine. :P

Though they were trying to make up for it in Super Star Saga. In their own weird way.

and in its own right, Luigi's Mansion was pretty entertaining.
Agreed. It was a unique experience. But I have to admit, when I went back to it after a few monehts, I couldn't get the hang of it again. Something that I rarely experience with a game. I can usually come back to a game and remember what buttons to puch and when. But Luigi's Mansion.. I just couldn't get back to it. No matter.. I already beat it anyway.

In fact, I might have been less inclined to try SMS had it been the typical Mario setting, and playing Mario 64 just feels like some kind of claustrophobic, limited shareware ripoff to me, even though I'd love to see it given a facelift on a bonus disc like Ocarina did.

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to M128 and hoping they port M64 (or something like it) to the DS as a launch title ;)

Huh? I'm assuming you know that at the time Mario 64 was created it was completely new and set the standard for 3d platformers.

So despite it's dated look compared to today's standar, it was ground breaking when it came out.

I don't get the whole "Shareware" remark, either. :?

Mario 64 was the best thing out there. Nothing was like it. I don't see why you'd call it "Shareware". It's not like it restricted you to the first floor and told you to buy the full version when you try to open the basement. :roll: