Qbert - Qbert Qubes

Defender - Stargate

Pacman - Ms. Pacman - Jr. Pacman

Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Junior

Summer Games - Winter Games - California Games

Atlantis - Atlantis II

Star Wars: ESB - SW: The Arcade Game - SW: Death Star Battle - SW: Jedi Arena

Are there any others?

I don't think Atlantis II really qualifies as a sequel to Atlantis, it was just a special "contest" version with different scoring. Here are some others:

Combat - Combat Two (unreleased and unfinishsed)

Ghostbusters - Ghostbusters II (PAL only)

Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's castle - Smurf's Save the Day

That's all I could find in addition to what was already posted above. It's really interesting to see how, even with the 2600's large library, there were very few sequels. And many of those are based on arcade games. Quite a contrast from today's game industry, where a huge number of titles are sequels of games that came before.

..Al

I wouldn't really say those Star Wars games are sequels though, unless you're counting them as movie sequels.

Character sequels count (like Pitfall Harry is in both Pitfall! and Pitfall2). When playing the SW titles, you are basically assuming the role of Luke...with the exeption of DSB.

How about Adventures Of Tron/Deadly Discs?

Quite a contrast from today's game industry, where a huge number of titles are sequels of games that came before.

With today's marketing, every game that sold 500,000 units would get a sequel. Notice how almost all of the sequels were released toward the end of the 2600's life cycle. perhaps marketers were just beginning to appreciat the sales powere of a recognized name.

But we would have lost out on a lot. If David Crane had been forced to make sequels to his early hits he never would have had the time to create Pitfall or Decathlon. He'd be busy churning out lame carts like Laser Blast 2 and Fishing Derby: The Reckoning.

Of course with today's marketing, Activision would have released Bloody Human Freeway in the first place.

How about the Donkey Kong series ???

You said Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior but what about Donkey Kong 3 ???

I know it came out on Nintendo and Famicom but not Atari ???

I did a web page on Donkey Kong 3's Stanley The Bugman and how he was a nice guy but after Donkey Kong no one would hire him and he went into a life of drugs and killed a cheep prostitute when he black out one time...

post-4849-1080463852_thumb.jpg

No, not Atari. And we know what the damn DK3 marquee looks like already.

This seemed to be a simple "call out every game that starts with M" type of thread but it actually gives us perspective on the hobby. In the classic days, sequels were not seen as important. It was all about creating something new or ripping off something that already existed.

Think about this. . . in the early days most sequels were total failures compared to the originals. Space Invaders and Asteroids were 2 of the 3 biggest hits of all time yet couldn't produce a hit sequel.. There wasn't a hit sequel until 1981 when Ms.PacMan and Galaga suddenly hit. You can see the number of arcade sequels jump soon after and the 2600 library would begin to reflect that by the time of the crash.

Here's a Forbes article on the lack of original games and how it may damage the industry:Challenge of Creativity

How about Adventures Of Tron/Deadly Discs?

Eh, I wouldn't call one a sequel, just two games in the same universe. (I got the original double pack w/ tron joystick...man that thing was cool.)

Yeah, Atari games were really about setting up their own little universes, and tended to be original.

JoustPong -- sequel to Joust and Pong. Well, Pong anyway :-) (it's a bit simpler than Joust in the final analysis)

No, not Atari.  And we know what the damn DK3 marquee looks like already.

This seemed to be a simple "call out every game that starts with M" type of thread but it actually gives us perspective on the hobby.  In the classic days, sequels were not seen as important.  It was all about creating something new or ripping off something that already existed.  

Think about this. . .  in the early days most sequels were total failures compared to the originals.  Space Invaders and Asteroids were 2 of the 3 biggest hits of all time yet couldn't produce a hit sequel..  There wasn't a hit sequel until 1981 when Ms.PacMan and Galaga suddenly hit.

And of course, both of those had subsequent sequels . . . Which are far less common and popular than either of them or the original games they were based on . . .

Odd, that.

Hi there!

Summer Games - Winter Games - California Games

I wouldn't count those as sequels, they're all individual games. The sequel to Summer Games is Summer Games 2 and the sequel to California Games is (surprise, surprise! :) ) California Games 2. They both never made it to the 2600 though.

Greetings,

Manuel