IGNORED

Homestar Runner RPG Demo

Paul Slocum

Here's the latest Homestar RPG demo. There was a problem with the board at Philly Classic, so the one running there was the older demo from AGE. This one shows off some of the work we've done since then (new bigger tiles, bigger map, ability to move between different maps and enter some buildings, partially done inventory screen).

-paul

rpgdemo2.zip

Probably will not be able to move diagonally.

Either way, it still looks like one of the greatest games to hit the 2600. :D 8)

I walked around quite a bit and the world is huge for a 2600 game. You can deffinitely expect me to buy one once it gets to cartriges. ;)

Man... that is one impressive looking game!

It makes me wonder... what if some of these homebrews had been released "back in the day"?

I think they would have been absolute smash hits. I don't think anyone could have ever expected the 2600 to pull off some of this stuff.

Man... that is one impressive looking game!

It makes me wonder... what if some of these homebrews had been released "back in the day"?

I think they would have been absolute smash hits. I don't think anyone could have ever expected the 2600 to pull off some of this stuff.

Interesting thought. Why is it that some of the more impressive games to hit the VCS have come out in more recent years? Why weren't games of this calibur released back in the 80's?

Is it because personal computers are tremendously more powerful with more efficient and easier to use tools? Is it due to the increased cart sizes? Or is it because homebrew programmers simply take the time to craft a good game without the constant looming threat of deadlines and milestones?

Faster PC's have lead to the creation of better algorithms and the ability to crunch ideas faster. Way back most folks used graph paper to forumulate graphics in such by hand. Coding was done from scratch in ASM on VAX's! Im sure a game of todays calibure could've been done but management didnt have 2 years for it to be completed ;)

Faster PC's have lead to the creation of better algorithms and the ability to crunch ideas faster.  Way back most folks used graph paper to forumulate graphics in such by hand.  Coding was done from scratch in ASM on VAX's!  Im sure a game of todays calibure could've been done but management didnt have 2 years for it to be completed ;)

I don't think that's it. From what I've heard, they actually had some tools that were better than what we have. We still don't have a proper debugger, and I code most of my graphics in assembly.

I think part of it is that the people making games are no longer in competition, so tricks and tips are openly shared between everyone.

Plus I think it's just that the people making games now are people who really love to do it. When you don't make any money doing it, it has to be something you really love and are completely dedicated to.

It seems like games are sometimes finished in much shorter time than they used to be. I have no idea why that is.

-paul

Faster PC's have lead to the creation of better algorithms and the ability to crunch ideas faster.  Way back most folks used graph paper to forumulate graphics in such by hand.  Coding was done from scratch in ASM on VAX's!  Im sure a game of todays calibure could've been done but management didnt have 2 years for it to be completed ;)

I don't think that's it. From what I've heard, they actually had some tools that were better than what we have. We still don't have a proper debugger, and I code most of my graphics in assembly.

I think part of it is that the people making games are no longer in competition, so tricks and tips are openly shared between everyone.

Plus I think it's just that the people making games now are people who really love to do it. When you don't make any money doing it, it has to be something you really love and are completely dedicated to.

It seems like games are sometimes finished in much shorter time than they used to me. I have no idea why that is.

-paul

Paul,

On an unrelated note, do you have a general idea as to how much this game will end up costing when its released? I'm definitely going to buy a copy regardless of cost..just curious.

On an unrelated note, do you have a general idea as to how much this game will end up costing when its released?  I'm definitely going to buy a copy regardless of cost..just curious.

It will likely be around $35. If we include a box, around $45. It's going to cost more since so much work will have gone into it including new boards, help/graphics/license from the Chapman brothers, and some contributions from Thomas. But you'll be getting a lot of bang for your buck, especially with the minigames.

-paul

On an unrelated note, do you have a general idea as to how much this game will end up costing when its released?  I'm definitely going to buy a copy regardless of cost..just curious.

It will likely be around $35. If we include a box, around $45. It's going to cost more since so much work will have gone into it including new boards, help/graphics/license from the Chapman brothers, and some contributions from Thomas. But you'll be getting a lot of bang for your buck, especially with the minigames.

-paul

Excellent! Thanks for the update Paul.

Based on the demo as well as the other factors you mentioned, $35 or $45 with box are very fair prices. I for one, can't wait! :thumbsup:

for a game this highly anticipated, i think you have to have a box

speaking of which, what kindof label art are we going to get, will it have an "official" atari template, or will it be unique? either way would be awesome.

the other question is what will the final name of the game be? Homestar Runner RPG sounds a little too plain, its more like a subtitle. Think along the lines of Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG. Something funny, but not too abstract like some HSR jokes can get... or just tell me sit down and shut up :P