IGNORED

Latest Prototype Acquisition

Tempest

I finally got my Jr. Pac-Man prototype today (2600 version). the first thing that surprised me about it was that it was actually one of those over-sized EPROM boards with the extra RAM chip on it instead of a regular board. I've never seen one of these put into a regular case (we assumed they wouldn't fit) but apperently you can except the chip sticks out a bit at the bottom (no big deal). Very odd...

The game itself is basically the same (damn) with some mnor differences:

1. The power pellet pick up sound is different. It has some odd dinging bells that are very annoying (I can see why they changed it).

2. You cannot select your starting level. You can only select the number of ghost monsters.

I'm sure there are more tiny differences, I'll have to find them later.

Tempest

Really? Most protots I've seen are on the smaller boards. I know all of the later prototypes (from 86 on) are on the larger board wether they need the extra RAM or not (Motorodeo doesn't use it for instance).

What other prototypes have you seen?

Tempest

BTW, you can see examples of both types of boards on my page: http://www.msu.edu/user/reicher6/2600proto.htm

Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten to put the picture up (doh!). It's fixed now.

I got some of my prototypes from Ebay, but most came from private deals with some friends that know ex-Atari employees. I know alot of old time collectors who are starting families and are getting out of the collecting business.

My whole collection started off with that 2600 Joust prototype (which happens to be the same as the final version). Who knew it would snowball from there. I plan to bring my collection to the CGE so people can play them and maybe get them dumped (if not I'll get them dumped after).

Tempest

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

Hi, I have a Crystal Castles Pal Prototype. Its in a Loaner case, but it has the big Board like the Motorodeo and Klax on your site. I have not open it, but I can see it from the bottom.

And the board hang over the case, because its to long.

You say, that they never left the labs, but how can I have one of them? And why has this a loaner case?

Can I open the case without breaking something?

One think to your great website, the link for the game Sorcerer's Apprentice has the picture of Alpha Beam with Ernie, but the text is right. You must change the picture.

MattyXB

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

That's funny, when I tried to load the page I got a broken link for the picture. Anyway, it's fixed now.

As for the large proto boards, I was told that they were internal test boards and not given out for public use but I may be wrong. Just because they're a case doesn't mean they left the lab, they may have put it in a case to protect it. I'll have to do some more research on this...

You can open the case without damaging the proto, but usually there's an end label you would have to remove first (I actually just cut a thin slit in it with a knife). Usually there's no reason to open it unless your curious about the EPROMs (like me).

Tempest