IGNORED

5200 Blaster stuff...

-^CrossBow^-

Okay, so I never had seen or heard of this game in the arcades...but reading about the proto shown at PC5 got me curious. So I download the roms and check it out in Atari800win. Aren't there supposed to only be 4 different boards in this game?

Well I ask because once I finally made it to wave 5 level 3...read as 5 - 3 I was on the warp tunnel level with asteroids and the little saucers that come out and try to ram you or shoot you. But one MAJOR difference to level 5 - 3. Instead of 'roids...I had Saucers everywhere!? They didn't attack and basically just filled in like the 'roids would, but were faster, more numerous, smaller and therefore harder to hit. I also saw what I think would be the red saucer come out on this level.

Anyway, the only other thing I thought was odd is that the hell riders show up for 1 -2 and 2 -2..but then they are absent until you get to 5 - 2 where they finally come back. Only now they come in pairs and are faster.

I guess what I am trying to say is basically these "Protos" which I consider to really just be shamefully unreleased completed games, are closer to the arcade than what we thought? There are only 4 levels between waves...but those levels do change when you get far enough.

My final score ended up being 428,900 and I was finally taken out with a mine on 6 - 2. I don't know if this is a decent score or not..but since I hadn't seen anyone mention anywhere about just how much like the arcade these versions really are...I thought I would mention it.

BTW...these have got to come avail in cart form?! I know Mr. Jarvis doesn't want them sold for profit...but how about some nice enthusiast with a rom burner providing them at strictly COST?!

Bummer this never got release is all I can say. This is the best unreleased game/proto I have played for the 5200 IMHO and I mean that!

:D

Yes, they are all saucers on 5-4, just only the flashing ones actually move or do anything . . .

And I think the stage patterns are actually random, I've gotten the double Hell Rider on earlier levels, and gotten a 5-3 with nothing but well-positioned TIEs, Kamikazes, and satellites, too . . .

Not to mention, does it not suck just a little when you get a ground stage w/o any archways at all in it? Or just one?

615,400 so far for me . . . 428,900 is a nice score, though . . . The trick is building up lots of extra lives, for in levels 5 and after, you really need them . . . I've gotten to 200K without dying a couple of times . . . That's nice.

BTW...these have got to come avail in cart form?! I know Mr. Jarvis doesn't want them sold for profit...but how about some nice enthusiast with a rom burner providing them at strictly COST?!

I'm trying to work this out. I'll let everyone know when I have some answers.

Tempest

I never heard of it either. I had ignored the title on my PS2 Midway

disc. This release has made me discover the game on my PS2. It is

quite an awesome game. Lots of enemies, hard but not as brutal as

Defender/Stargate. My only complaint is the blockiness of the graphics.

I wish the game had come out a year or two later when technology had

caught up a little.