IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

Ya know whats sad about this is kenfused spent about 1/3 of the time most develoeprs did way back and produced a Burgertime release2x better than anything else we got and more faithful than some of the other arcade conversions!

Excellent job Kenfused.

All I gotta say is: If you want a legit proto to be taken seriously, DO NOT announce it's release on APRIL FOOLS DAY! Sheesh...

Like I said elsewhere, I think that's the joke. We're all expecting a fake proto to be released today, what with the I Robot and Turbo jokes played in previous years. What better thing to do than release a LEGIT proto on April Fools!

Ah, and you fell for it Inky... errr... Shortly. :D

Who is this Inky thou speakest of?

Even though I didn't play it, yep. Hook line and sinker.

Hee hee. I thought I'd wait to see how this whole fiasco came out this morning. This is actually a very unique sort of April Fool's prank since, although not a TRUE prototype, it IS a functioning homebrew. It would be great to see this finished...my brother and I would both love to have this on a cart. Great work!

Just wanted to say THANKS Kenfused for this great port. Would love to see it on a cart through AtariAge or whoever. Nice job.

Kenfused, can we have an early April Fools Day 2005 release of Zoo Keeper :D

Or Sinistar or Elavator Action. :)

Allan

INTV Burgertime was quite good thankyouverymuch. That said, its nice to see the forgotten classics being ported to the forgotten classic systems, the 5200 has benefited even more than the 2600 from the homebrew movement. With all the new games and hardware mods, its almost like a brand new machine :)

Yeah, INTV BurgerTime is a good game, but it's not a good conversion . . . Kinda likw 2600 DK . . . The CV version is finished, and a great official conversion, but this one that Ken worked up is almost as good now . . . It certainly looks better and plays smoother, IMO. When the glitches are worked out, it'll be super-sweet.

That said, in addition to Zoo Keeper, I wouldn't mind seeing Sprint next 4/1 . . . Seems odd how a control system perfect for driving games doesn't have any . . .

Has anyone tried this on the real hardware with the maxi-cart?  It loads fine but won't respond to the controller.  I tried with 3 different ones and it won't start no matter what I try???    :sad:
Do the # and * buttons work? Does pressing 4 0 1 work? Has anyone tried it on a real 5200? Do most 5200 games let you start with the firebutton in addition to the start button?

Wow, I just spent some time playing the 8-bit version of this (I could not get the 5200 version to run in Atari800MacX, but the 8-bit version works fine) and it's fantastic! I took some screenshots so I could add the 5200 Burgertime to the "In Development" section (you can look here--yes, I know the title screen isn't quite accurate for the 5200 since its says "Select" and "Option", I will retake that on a PC later).

Great work!!

..Al

Has anyone tried this on the real hardware with the maxi-cart?  It loads fine but won't respond to the controller.  I tried with 3 different ones and it won't start no matter what I try???    :sad:
Do the # and * buttons work? Does pressing 4 0 1 work? Has anyone tried it on a real 5200? Do most 5200 games let you start with the firebutton in addition to the start button?

No, neither the #, *, or number keys work. I also tried using each of the four fire buttons thinking that might start it but nothing. I also tried each of the other three joystick ports....zippo. :sad:

Odd...the keypad works in the emulation.  What addresses are you reading?
I can't find anything obviously different from any conversions I have done. SKCTL is being initialized to two, and CONSOL to 4, which should enable the first joystick and keyboard scanning. I am reading KBCODE and looking at the appropriate bits masked (1-4).

Can't trust emulators for real testing. At first I wasn't setting POTGO, and Atari 800 Win Plus didn't care (but MESS did). Guess I need to but a 5200 and the usb flash cart thing on my list of things to get.

One of my biggest problems with Castle Crisis was getting controllers to work properly. The emulators don't seem to care much and always return key values, but on a real 5200 you MUST turn off keyboard debounce and use the IRQ for getting values.

Since I decided I didn't want IRQ's happening (the A8 version uses debounce mode, and checks for the space bar only), I made it look to see if a keyboard IRQ had been flagged (IRQST), then it reads KBCODE (which will eternally hold the last key pressed - even from a different controller) and clears the IRQ bit (IRQEN).

-Bry

How about porting the Burgertime sequel Diner from the INTV to the 5200?

Ahh but Diner isn't the TRUE sequel. The true sequel was Peter Peppers Ice Cream Factory (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=P&game_id=8999).

I thought about porting this to the 5200, but for a novice programmer like me it would be too difficult. Maybe some day...

Tempest