IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

Interesting...........The cart played perfectly under Atariwin800 - Colors and sounds were good.

As for being a fake I can say that I always wanted B-Time on the 800 and never got it - The clones I played never looked like this version. This looks like the arcade - Maybe this was done in the 90's for the 800 but nonetheless its a good port of the arcade version.

Only glitch I found was when dropping a bun with a hot dog on it the bun didnt fall more than 1 lvl. I also peppered an egg on a bun and dropped it and the egg didnt fall. Everything else worked great.

i knew it rung a bell as for the glitchy graphics that could be cuz the second EPROM is missing!

No no no no no... It doesn't work that way. If the second EPROM was missing it wouldn't work period.

this is unfinished and is a fore runner of the licenced game!

huh?

I still don't believe this is an official product. Nope nope nope, I just don't believe it.

Tempest

What year was Burgertime released for the Inty? I think that would pretty much eliminate the chance that this was a "pre-release" prototype, since the 5200 wasn't released yet (and Mattel would have been more than just a little pissed if somebody had tried stepping on their license).

Whoever did this did a damn good job, that much is certian.

Ok here's a quote from the Blue Sky Rangers (Intellivision guys) website:

Marketing ordered BurgerTime ported to every system possible (to "all flavors"). M Network Atari 2600, IBM PC and handheld versions were released. Apple and Aquarius versions were also developed. A Commodore translation was ordered but never started. A Colecovision version, done at the Mattel Electronics French programming division, was eventually purchased and released by Coleco. (A later version for the original Nintendo system was unrelated to Mattel Electronics.)

Note that Atari 400/800 and 5200 are not mentioned.

Tempest

If it's a hack, it's a really sweet one . . . And there is no way that this was a Mattel product, for one, it doesn't suck, two, it looks like the arcade

Aren't there 2 versions of Coleco BurgerTime, though, one by Mattel and the other, better one (but still not quite this one) by Data East? Perhaps DE did program this game . . . XEGS, perhaps?

Even if this is an April Fool prank, it beats the heck out of Turbo, because, well, it's an actual functional game . . .

I don't know what to think. But it plays really really well. Besides what everyone else has already mentioned I have a few more things to add. I played this over and over until I got to over 80k in my score. What I noticed...

No free men seem to ever get rewarded. So you are stuck with what you get initially.

Sometimes the pepper counter will display the wrong digit for a second or two after picking up an item and then correct itself.

Only 4 boards then they repeat.

Red Cheese slices?

Where is Mr. Pickle and Fry?

Difficulty never ramps up from initial setting. However I didn't try it under a different difficulty level other than the default of Medium...hmm..I wonder....

:ponder:

All I gotta say is: If you want a legit proto to be taken seriously, DO NOT announce it's release on APRIL FOOLS DAY! Sheesh...

Like I said elsewhere, I think that's the joke. We're all expecting a fake proto to be released today, what with the I Robot and Turbo jokes played in previous years. What better thing to do than release a LEGIT proto on April Fools!

Actually I think Burgertime for the TI was under license from DE not Mattel. Would stand to reason that a release could have came about for the XE, but it's unlikely a loose eprom marked 5200 would show up. I believe a 5200 version would have to come from mattel. Looks good thou, nice effort regardless of it's origin! :D

::right clicks, saves to file::

All I gotta say is: If you want a legit proto to be taken seriously, DO NOT announce it's release on APRIL FOOLS DAY! Sheesh...

Like I said elsewhere, I think that's the joke. We're all expecting a fake proto to be released today, what with the I Robot and Turbo jokes played in previous years. What better thing to do than release a LEGIT proto on April Fools!

That's sick! SICK, I tell ya!

The wierd thing is that there is no mention of ownership at all. Even in games that have hardly ANY work done on them usually have some kind of mark or graphic of ownership.

No mark of ownership?

It says "Copyright 1982, Data East" on the title screen, which would lead to the assumption that if this is real, they made it . . .

And how are y'all getting it to run in Atari800Win? I just get the title screen. (Interestingly, unlike Blaster and most other protos, it plays fine under MESS, the score is just replaced with garbage . . .)

Do any of the various 800 clones have level patterns this close to the arcade? Because this one is basically identical to the original and to the CV version in that respect.

Was there a C64 version by DE? I think every other non-Mattel version is on a Z80 platform (CV,TI99,MSX) that wouldn't have been easily converted . . .

Oops...you're right. I must get these glasses fixed :P

In Atari800Win, I use the keypad as the 5200 buttons, and just hit F4 to start. Runs pretty much flawlessly IMO (though I did have a slight problem with peppering). Odd that this was never released by DE if that is who made it...they hung on for quite a while after the crash.

wow, thanks ken. Been playing it all day on a 5200 emu, the difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up too much as mentioned, even on advanced but its still a fun game port.

And now I can try it out on my real XE :D