IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

Still no bonus chefs?

It should give a bonus life at 10000 for easy, 15000 for med, and 20000 for hard. There is no sound effect for it yet. There is probably still work to be done on enemy AI, pepper bonus object timing, dropping more levels if dropping more than one enemy. It also robs you of points for the last drop when you clear a level (no points for the drop or any enemies). I also would like to get more than 4 enemies for some of the screens that have more on the arcade (The arcade also has an option for 6 on the earlier levels). Logically I can have up to 6 enemies if I can free up some more VBI time since the 4 barely makes it.

One question. What bank switched cartriged scheme is usually used for Atari 8-bit cartridges? I stopped building an 8-bit cartridge image when a decided to go past 16K and would like to start building one again since I would like to eventually have a final version in that format.

8-bit carts come in a lot of different styles.

a 16k cart is flat across 8000-BFFF, a 8k cart can be 8000-9FFF or A000-BFFF.

If you dont plan on making carts yourself you can release it in flash cartridge format and people can make thier own carts. Just post an EXE file of burgertime and I can make it into a flash cartridge image for you.

The exe can be a full 48k and it will still work fine on a flash cartridge.

Steve

New release.

Additions:

Added two new screens (mostly)

Known Issues (most existing):

On screens 5&6, enemies/peppers dont start necessarily in the correct positions. If someones wants to play though the real game, and give me counts of each enemeies and the order and where they start and where the pepper appears, let me know since I haven't yet.

Note like the other screens, some vertical compression is necessarily so the screens will not be exactly the same as the arcade (I sure wish I would have elected to put the scrore off to the side)

Game slows down as more enemies are on a board. Needs to have consisent timing

Sometimes garbage appears at the top of the screen on boards with the pepper bonus object at the top of the screen when the object clears. I think somewhere there is possibly and rare memory corruption problem since I have once in great while noticed other occasional issues.

Level Indicator (bottom right) counts by 4's instead of 5's (actually it has always counted by 5's but I didnt care when there were 4 screens).

[Attachment removed - download later version]

Has there ever been a home conversion of Zoo Keeper for an Atari

Yes. There is a prototype for the Atari 2600. I recently talked to the sound programmer on the game he confirmed it was either finished or close to it. No luck tracking down the actual prototype or the programmer though. Yet...

Tempest

Awesome.........Great conversion Ken - so whats next on the hit parade :) - Zoo Keeper?

Maybe if we offered 'donations' Kenfused would take requests. ;)

I'd still like to see Clown and Baloons, Mr Do, and also Zoo Keeper would be a great XL conversion so would Jawbreaker..... :love:

Mr. Do! is already available for the 8bit series and is an excellent conversion - Look in the 8bit forum, Mr Do is the High Score game this week.

Clowns and Balloons is on the Datasoft Multicart from Sunmark, as well as Mr. Do. Jawbreaker is also on the 8bit system.

Yes, but I want converted files to play on an emulator or better yet on the A52 Maxicart on the real 5200 hardware....

Extra lives are now award every xx points vs. just once at xx. Dropping more than one enemy now causes the pieces to fall farther and scoring for the drops should be accurate to the arcade (they drop 2 times the number of enemies plus 1. Let me know if anyone can prove otherwise). Modified starting positions and which enemies are present on the last two screens..

To do: Work on when/what causes the pepper bonus object to appear. Add two player support (or remove option to select two players). Does anyone think two players (alternating) is necessary? I also may come up with a different name for the game. Maybe tweak the enemy AI a little more.

btime0504.zip

Does anyone think two players (alternating) is necessary?

Yknow... I don't really think so. But I guess if it's not a hassle for you to include it then why not. But otherwise if it might potentially take away game resources (and programming time) then never mind :D Just my opinion. ;)

Extra lives are now award every xx points vs. just once at xx. Dropping more than one enemy now causes the pieces to fall farther and scoring for the drops should be accurate to the arcade (they drop 2 times the number of enemies plus 1. Let me know if anyone can prove otherwise). Modified starting positions and which enemies are present on the last two screens..

To do: Work on when/what causes the pepper bonus object to appear. Add two player support (or remove option to select two players). Does anyone think two players (alternating) is necessary? I also may come up with a different name for the game. Maybe tweak the enemy AI a little more.

2 players........hmmmmmmmmm - Since I dont have anyone to play with per se :( it really wouldnt matter to me - However, this game can take awhile to play so if there were 2 people that wanted to play it would kinda suck having to wait for someone else to finish.

Otherwise everything else is just fine for me.

Maybe start a naming contest - Burger Hut!

I think having 2-player alternate would be cool and make the game complete.

As for names, I recommend Burger Climb. It's what I was going to call my Burger Time clone but I never finished the game.

Congratulations so far on what is turning out to be one of the best arcade ports for the 5200!!!

Thanks,

Changes in new version:

Pepper bonus objects are now awarded based on how many burger parts have been dropped to the bottom vs. timers and random numbers. I played many games of the original hoping to get the right and I hope it is close.

The peppers label at the top right, flashes when you are out of peppers. I currently am not sure if I should put a sound in for this. The data east version doesnt make a sound but the midway one does for the arcade (at least in MAME).

Attempt to add two player support (alternate on death). Currently uses only one joystick. There currently seems to be some problems at least with the exe and disk image versions like something is getting corrupted which may prevent movement in certain ways and possible screen problems on later boards. If anyone sees this on the 5200 and 8-bit XEGS cartridge versions, or if you see it on single player mode on any version let me know the specifics. Finding out the cause of the problem earns bonus points :-)

btime0507.zip

I just played this the other day, and I'm not sure which version it was (late april I believe) anyways, this is very good.

The hotdogs do not quite act right, the egg and pickles seem kinda ok.

The collision detection seems a little odd (compared to the arcade), but I would have to play the arcade for a while to figure out what it is that is off.

In the arcade if I remember your character will not pick up the extra pepper unless he is on a ladder. Again I would have to verify.

At the end of the level the character waves his hands up and down in the arcade. Can't remember if he actually jumps up and down.

Anyways it is alot of fun, a little more tweaking and it'd be perfect!

I also just fired this up, and it's spectacular!

Just some questions:

How many colors is the 5200 limited to for games?

Also there no give to player contact with the ememies, touch anything bad yer dead...

I played for a while and thought it was great.

I'm an artist and wish I could program games like this..

Daniel