IGNORED

Wanted: Interesting Auctions

Albert

Puppy Pong, is this really a $500,000,00 item?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-Video-Game-/121205030536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3861fe88

The Puppy Pong was developed by the Atari Corporation in1973. It was one of the very first Video Games ever made. Unfortunately it never really hit the market due to a controversy that Charles Shultz (Creator of, ’Peanuts’) had with Atari. Apparently Mr. Shultz thought the wooden, yellow dog house that housed a video game like Ping Pong, resembled his own ‘Snoopy’s Dog House’ (especially with the dog’s head on the top of it). Atari, not wanting to engage in a legal battle with Mr. Shultz, changed the color to red and took the puppy off the top and called it, ‘DR. Pong’. Atari called it this name because they were designed without a coin slot and were to be sold to Physicians to put in their waiting rooms for the kids to play while waiting. Atari built 35 of these original yellow, ‘Puppy Pongs’before stopping production and changing the design. Each of these were stamped on a metal plate inside with their own individual number from 1-35. A few ofthese were placed into local ‘Chuck-E-Cheese’ Amusement Centers on the tables,where kids could play them while waiting for their food. A salesman bought what remained of them and peddled them to Medical Clinics in the Midwest. Left in existence is believed to be about 3 of them. The Atari Museum has one. The owner said it was not in pristine shape as the control knobs were broken off and different knobs put on. Also, he said it was pretty nicked up and scratched so it was repainted.The second one is said to be owned by an ‘anonymous caller’who claims he has one and it’s in, “decent shape”. The third one belongs to me. My Father was a Family Physician in Eastern Wisconsin and he bought one for his waiting room from this salesman. It was used very slightly before dad had passed away shortly after buying it. I have owned it now for more than 30 yrs. It works; it is in near perfect condition and everything on it is original down to the paint. The number stamped on the inside plate is, '27'. This extremely rare collectible has an availability rating of a #1 (numbers based from 1-100 with ‘1’ being the hardest to obtain).Because it was never produced in mass amounts and sold, it never became a big house hold name on the market thus making it even more valuable. I would seriously question if there was one of these in existence that was in near as good of condition.

I am putting this on the market for an opening bid of $500,000.

post-22103-0-07292600-1383160767_thumb.jpg

Edited by roadrunner

Looks like a homemade label to me.

The cartridge shell is actually the Activision style cartridge shell, but without "Activision" stamped in the plastic at the bottom/front of the shell. The thing that I am not sure of is if the Parker Brothers' cartridge PCB will actually fit inside this Activision cart shell and therefore the seller or someone else might have had a loose Mr. Do!'s Castle PCB and just placed it inside of the Activision cart shell and luckily it fit. The label, in any case, would be a reproduction.

Two other things to be aware of...

- TeleGames UK and USA released some of their reproductions using the Activision cart shell (see Beamrider picture), a new cartridge PCB and made reproduction labels.

- Team PixelBoy has made Activision cart shell reproductions without the "Activision" stamp in the plastic shell for some of his Homebrew releases (see pic of Mopiranger) as well as reproduction Activision PCBs.

After searching my collection of digital files for comparisons, I would have to say that this Mr. Do!'s Castle is a complete reproduction... cart shell, PCB and label.

post-25956-0-68036800-1383178856_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-80811100-1383178882.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Puppy Pong, is this really a $500,000,00 item?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-Video-Game-/121205030536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3861fe88

The Puppy Pong was developed by the Atari Corporation in1973. It was one of the very first Video Games ever made. Unfortunately it never really hit the market due to a controversy that Charles Shultz (Creator of, ’Peanuts’) had with Atari. Apparently Mr. Shultz thought the wooden, yellow dog house that housed a video game like Ping Pong, resembled his own ‘Snoopy’s Dog House’ (especially with the dog’s head on the top of it). Atari, not wanting to engage in a legal battle with Mr. Shultz, changed the color to red and took the puppy off the top and called it, ‘DR. Pong’. Atari called it this name because they were designed without a coin slot and were to be sold to Physicians to put in their waiting rooms for the kids to play while waiting. Atari built 35 of these original yellow, ‘Puppy Pongs’before stopping production and changing the design. Each of these were stamped on a metal plate inside with their own individual number from 1-35. A few ofthese were placed into local ‘Chuck-E-Cheese’ Amusement Centers on the tables,where kids could play them while waiting for their food. A salesman bought what remained of them and peddled them to Medical Clinics in the Midwest. Left in existence is believed to be about 3 of them. The Atari Museum has one. The owner said it was not in pristine shape as the control knobs were broken off and different knobs put on. Also, he said it was pretty nicked up and scratched so it was repainted.The second one is said to be owned by an ‘anonymous caller’who claims he has one and it’s in, “decent shape”. The third one belongs to me. My Father was a Family Physician in Eastern Wisconsin and he bought one for his waiting room from this salesman. It was used very slightly before dad had passed away shortly after buying it. I have owned it now for more than 30 yrs. It works; it is in near perfect condition and everything on it is original down to the paint. The number stamped on the inside plate is, '27'. This extremely rare collectible has an availability rating of a #1 (numbers based from 1-100 with ‘1’ being the hardest to obtain).Because it was never produced in mass amounts and sold, it never became a big house hold name on the market thus making it even more valuable. I would seriously question if there was one of these in existence that was in near as good of condition.

Holy hell, is he smoking something?!?!?

Holy hell, is he smoking something?!?!?

My offer is....

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

ED: fixed link... thanks CPUWIZ!

Edited by NIAD