IGNORED

Wanted: Interesting Auctions

Albert

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

The links are not posted on purpose.

why not.

So we just post, "you got to check this out, boy this one is for the books", Cant believe what they are asking for this" .... just to screw with people. 

I'm tired of going to eBay then and there isn't an auction to be found.

You post the links. That's really an important part of interesting auctions.

• 1 month later...

On 6/16/2020 at 7:30 PM, Atari8bitCarts said:

why not.

So we just post, "you got to check this out, boy this one is for the books", Cant believe what they are asking for this" .... just to screw with people. 

I'm tired of going to eBay then and there isn't an auction to be found.

You post the links. That's really an important part of interesting auctions.

Not posting the links to ultra rare items or prototypes etc. is the standard among some people due to potential shill bidders, tire kickers, and trolls. With rare items there's realistically only a small handful of collectors who are able to compete in that market, and it's seen as unsportsmanlike to "blast" the auctions to anyone who can see. While it benefits those who want to take a peek or possibly try to put their hat in the ring, it also allows resellers and others who may not necessarily see the link on the other marketplaces but will definitely lurk AA and other sites another opportunity to see the item and possibly inflate the price.

Generally the idea is that what competition there is for incredibly rare things should be legitimate; requiring both honest observers AND resellers, shills, and trolls to perform a search and put in the legwork is a way to ensure that competition remains that way. Arguably, as well, it keeps the prices down to what the market realistically should be, keeping items in the hands of us (rather than resellers) and more likely to benefit the community.

It's not a generally accepted unspoken rule, though, and reasonable minds may differ on whether it's beneficial or not. Personally I agree with it, but others see it as preventing free exchange. There's arguments both ways.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Not posting the links to ultra rare items or prototypes etc. is the standard among some people due to potential shill bidders, tire kickers, and trolls. With rare items there's realistically only a small handful of collectors who are able to compete in that market, and it's seen as unsportsmanlike to "blast" the auctions to anyone who can see. While it benefits those who want to take a peek or possibly try to put their hat in the ring, it also allows resellers and others who may not necessarily see the link on the other marketplaces but will definitely lurk AA and other sites another opportunity to see the item and possibly inflate the price.

Generally the idea is that what competition there is for incredibly rare things should be legitimate; requiring both honest observers AND resellers, shills, and trolls to perform a search and put in the legwork is a way to ensure that competition remains that way. Arguably, as well, it keeps the prices down to what the market realistically should be, keeping items in the hands of us (rather than resellers) and more likely to benefit the community.

It's not a generally accepted unspoken rule, though, and reasonable minds may differ on whether it's beneficial or not. Personally I agree with it, but others see it as preventing free exchange. There's arguments both ways.

Boy, how does one respond to that logic, "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you....".

I want to draw attention to something but then that attracts too many people interested. So let's use false titles, bogus information, incorrect auction information. To throw everyone off the scent I guess.

Edited by Atari8bitCarts

I thought this was a really interesting auction and was considering placing a bid but it went for way more than I would have been willing to pay...

edit:

The link wasn't working but it was a Porky's press kit

Edited by cvga

4 minutes ago, taxman said:

With that impeccable feedback, how can you not trust what they say?

I didn't look at the feedback when I found the listing... How can someone have that kind of reputation on eBay and still have an account?!?

(To people who didn't look at the listing, the seller's feedback is %62.5 positive feedback)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, cvga said:

I thought this was a really interesting auction and was considering placing a bid but it went for way more than I would have been willing to pay...

edit:

The link wasn't working but it was a Porky's press kit

I was really interested in this. Interested with a bid up to $200, but that sadly wasn’t even close.  Based on who won, i think the second place bidder could’ve gone another 200 and still wouldn’t have won. 

Excellent deal for anyone looking for an A8 setup...based on the listing, the seller clearly thinks the 800XL is a keyboard attachment for the light sixer lol...Also comes with a 1050 disk drive and one of the harder to find beige PSUs and also the aforementioned light sixer. If I didn't vow to stop buying stuff I don't need, I would have already purchased this, assuming they were willing to ship...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/213119223453684

10 minutes ago, cvga said:

I shouldn't even share this since someone will probably buy it before I can save up the funds but sometimes you have to take a risk...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-console-and-games-great-condition-40-years-old/224127671440?hash=item342f0cdc90:g:l6oAAOSwBNpfJigi

two whole pac man carts doe ?

40 minutes ago, cvga said:

I shouldn't even share this since someone will probably buy it before I can save up the funds but sometimes you have to take a risk...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-console-and-games-great-condition-40-years-old/224127671440?hash=item342f0cdc90:g:l6oAAOSwBNpfJigi

Unreasonably high price and no feedback? I smell a scam.

Edited by Magmavision2000

On 8/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, bluejay said:

Yeah I'd agree with that.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:24 AM, Magmavision2000 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233682741897

Who's gonna tell them?

I did, hoping for a fun response

also a sears picture label superman has been listed, 

shame it's not an auction, how long has it been since one has been on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Yellow-text-Superman-picture-label-cartridge-Atari-2600-tested/184414407048?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

19 hours ago, masschamber said:

Yeah I'd agree with that.

I did, hoping for a fun response

also a sears picture label superman has been listed, 

shame it's not an auction, how long has it been since one has been on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Yellow-text-Superman-picture-label-cartridge-Atari-2600-tested/184414407048?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Yeah, I’m watching that.  I can’t see anyone paying that even for this but who knows.  I noticed the same guy just sold a CIB Cannon Man for $999 and a CIB regular Sears Superman for I think $600. Never thought those would sell for that either but it looks like they both went quick.  

23 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Yeah, I’m watching that.  I can’t see anyone paying that even for this but who knows.  I noticed the same guy just sold a CIB Cannon Man for $999 and a CIB regular Sears Superman for I think $600. Never thought those would sell for that either but it looks like they both went quick.  

Jesus Mary of Joseph, Cannon Man boxed for 1k!

I don't know if it's the Covid thing getting into people's heads; I'm noticing shit has been selling on eBay for astronomical numbers as of late.