IGNORED

Games That Don't Start In An Emulator

rxd

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any patches or anything that I can do about Atari 5200 games that don't start in an emulator. Star Trek and Pitfall imediately come to mind as 2 games that I can't get to start in my 5200 emulator. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do.

Thanks

Star Trek handles the keypad in a funny way that most of the other emulators haven't compensated for.  

Dan

I noticed StarTrek was reading codes directly from KBCODE and not masking them. I didn't go any further to see why the reads failed. I'm guessing it might have to do with the unused bits.

-Bry

I noticed StarTrek was reading codes directly from KBCODE and not masking them. I didn't go any further to see why the reads failed. I'm guessing it might have to do with the unused bits.

-Bry

That is correct. Since the 5200 doesn't have as many keys as the computers there are scanning bits that go unused. The result is that a keypress actually causes 4 different keycodes to come back. Star Trek looks for two for one of the codes, then another, which probably how they handle de-bouncing the keypress.

Dan

Both Star Trek and Pitfall work in Jum52 Atari 5200 emu (V0.7/0.8).

Dan's right - there's a 'loose bit' in KBCODE that wiggles around and affects the result if not masked.

Some other games may not start with the "Start" button, but by pressing a number button, or the fire button, or wiggling the joystick (Beamrider).

- jum

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any patches or anything that I can do about Atari 5200 games that don't start in an emulator. Star Trek and Pitfall imediately come to mind as 2 games that I can't get to start in my 5200 emulator. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do.

Thanks

Get a real Atari 5200 :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks

Get a real Atari 5200 :D

Actually I've had one since it first came out :wink:

I just find it easier sometimes to fire up an emulator to get in a couple of quick games....

• 1 year later...

Has anyone got Pitfall to work on an emulator as yet ? If so I would appreciate some advice.

I'm using Windows and have tried the following emulators:

Atari 800 Plus v4.0

Jum52 v1.0

MESS v1.103b

All have the same problem the game loads but doesn't respond when I press start.

I took a crack at fixing the keyboard and initialization bugs in Pitfall.

This should work on 2 port or 4 port bios, with kbcode mask applied so it will work in the emulators as well.

Steve

999529[/snapback]

Hmm, I wonder how much different your patch is to the previous one someone did a year or two ago.

Mitch

Hi,

Thanks

576415[/snapback]

Why don't you just use the XL/XE versions. They should work perfectly fine in any emulator. Why bother, unless there's something special about the 5200 version.

Beause Big Sexy deserves proper emulation. :P

1000143[/snapback]

Big Sexy is a Heavy Sixer is it not? A la 2600?

1000370[/snapback]

That's a misnomer. The 5200 is the REAL Big Sexy, as the heavy sixer is neither big nor sexy. :P

1000143[/snapback]

1000370[/snapback]

That's a misnomer. The 5200 is the REAL Big Sexy, as the heavy sixer is neither big nor sexy. :P

1000499[/snapback]

Yes, but not nearly as sexy as that cute little avatar of yours. :D

1000143[/snapback]

1000370[/snapback]

1000499[/snapback]

Yes, but not nearly as sexy as that cute little avatar of yours. :D

1000601[/snapback]

But Lucia's not big. She's Little Sexy. :)

Has anyone got Pitfall to work on an emulator as yet ? If so I would appreciate some advice.

I'm using Windows and have tried the following emulators:

Atari 800 Plus v4.0

Jum52 v1.0

MESS v1.103b

All have the same problem the game loads but doesn't respond when I press start.

999508[/snapback]

Pitfall works in Jum52 v0.8, but as you said it doesn't work in v1.0. It also works in the current version of VSS (http://danb.atarihq.com/)

Dan