IGNORED

I want your ears bleeding ;)

emkay

I did listen to both tunes and I have some questions, and I've made some recordings again of the tunes on my real XL:

about TEST.XEX:

I've selected a part with bassdrums:

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/mp3/xa.mp3

Is it possible to make the bassdrum sound a little shorter (and faster) and less cracky? I still think it's a very ugly bassdrum sound, and Atari can make far better bassdrum sounds. I've heard one on a track from the Forever5 disk.

I think this track is not in the right musical balance, but sound-technically it's very complex.

about ZX64.XEX:

I've selected the most interesting part:

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/mp3/xb.mp3

How?????

My first thoughts were: wow this sounds like a real electric heavy metal guitar.

I assume you didn't use any samples (as I do not hear any sample-artefacting/aliasing), but a (maybe 16bit) filtered voice instead, am I right?

...did you use any special tricks for the guitar sound??

.....like the timed filtering (discussed on atariarea.histeria.pl) to generate asymmetric squarewaves without any cpu intervention. Does RMT support that?

It is simple filtering.

BTW: What do you guess, why i called it ZX64? :ponder:

Here is the RMT file:

@Analmux

Once... 'some' days past since ... I wrote a small tune on the ATARI with a "clean sine-like sounding" flute.

Be shure... POKEY can create every tone that a SID can do.... and more.

Don't you agree... after listening to the "guitar-like" sounding, that software-synthesis only for deeper notes would be enough to create phantastic (refering to the instruments) musix with the POKEY chip?

To our polish friends: can anyone post this ZX64 (mainly the executable and MP3s) onto Atariarea...?

Yes, but in which way can you call this softsynth if it's only 50 Hz updatings? What do we need samples for now???

EDIT: No, I misunderstood again. Yes I think I get your point now. 50 Hz updatings for complex voices, and remaining softsynth for cool bass notes

Very nice by the way, could you play two guitars at the same time?

I'm gaining ideas to convert a well-known pop song ["by the way" from the Red hot chili peppers: i'd like to hear this tune from my single pokey] with some guitars, after all it now seems possible, though I'd need a very low grungy guitar.

I'll be a few days off now (weekend trip with girlfriend and exams), next weekend I'll be back here.

...b.t.w....(off-topic), I found a way to make MacDoh's style hamburgers at home. eating one right now :P

Very nice by the way, could you play two guitars at the same time?

Simply switch off the 1,79MHz on channel 3.

But be patient that on the emulation you will get big disharmonics when playing two of them at the same time.

I'm gaining ideas to convert a well-known pop song ["by the way" from the Red hot chili peppers: i'd like to hear this tune from my single pokey] with some guitars, after all it now seems possible, though I'd need a very low grungy guitar.

This will be a big problem without 16 bit. But you may switch to 16khz to gain deeper notes at all. Or you try using TMC that seems to have the needed features right now.

I'll be a few days off now (weekend trip with girlfriend and exams), next weekend I'll be back here.

...b.t.w....(off-topic), I found a way to make MacDoh's style hamburgers at home. eating one right now  :P

OK... if you'll tell us the recipe , we'll wish you a nice Weekend ;)

emkay ... great job ... i am really surprised .. i like the instrument a lot ... i would like to use more such a great instruments in next covers ...

so keep working and invent a new piano :) for us ...

greetings

@analmux: better bass lines can be made if use bass instruments in more than one channel .... as Xray does ...

I noticed that every once in a while a note will "cancel out" (go silent).

I'm guessing this is dependant on the cycle on which it is started. Since setting SKCTL to 0 resets all counters within POKEY, it's possible to control the tune on a deterministc-cycle basis. Could these silent notes then be avoided with a custom playback routine?

-Bry

I noticed that every once in a while a note will "cancel out" (go silent).

I'm guessing this is dependant on the cycle on which it is started. Since setting SKCTL to 0 resets all counters within POKEY, it's possible to control the tune on a deterministc-cycle basis. Could these silent notes then be avoided with a custom playback routine?

-Bry

Well... I am truely searching for a "reset" and it must be possible to set it manually.

If this silent notes would be a normal "flanger" effect, it would be simply corrected by switching volume to 0 for a short time. But this really must be a HW-thing because this v. trick does not work.

It seems that a hw-Reset DOES work, because when playing a tune, every first pattern is played correct.

Perhaps Raster has a solution?

Ok... no problem without a solution...

When playing for a short time a very high note with generator "8" and no filter offset, the sound seems to be stable.

The only worse is that the noise has to be played with volume 1 at min.

Playing the note with volume 0 doesn't affect anything.

I hope, it is a "feature" of RMT and not a bug of the pokey and RMT doesn't simply play a note with volume 0 ?

This Guitar/Violin sound makes me nervous. :x

Any Ideas to fix this "not playing" of a note... the noise technique does not work in the song below... :(

BTW: I recognized... it is truely not possible to create the flute with the available emulation.

Is TMC able to produce executable files?