IGNORED

I want your ears bleeding ;)

emkay

That was my apprehension. It's not only a command for the update speed. OK.

Yes. Destination portamento frequency is taken from actual note frequency every time when command 5 XY is used (and portamento level and speed is set up by XY). And if 5 00 is used, then beginning_portamento_frq = destination_portamento_frq = actual_frequency.

Yes, it works in this way. :)

Actually, it's near a miracle, that pokey music already exists... ;)

So much things are left outside for optimized pokey music.

Having a look at the portamento, my question is: why is it depending on the instrument?

While Sid can do those changes after a simple command, to build a bridge between several note updates, the "music-runtime" has to do this online...

An alternative is to use 100Hz (2x pal VBI)... as in the test

Especially the deeper notes are more clear. Some notes are worse because the envelop is played at double speed too. Adjusting them isn't possible, because of the envelop length...

100Hz aren't needed for every instrument, but it is needed for a minimum speed of controller adjustments (Volume, Arpeggio, Slides, Portamento)...

It can be calculated in the VBI and played inside the G2F Code easily...

To continue my monologue: The "POKEY Techno" tune takes no usage of the filters.

All "filter like/effects" sounding is done by using portamento at 100Hz.

Appended is the same tune without any portamento.

One will hear 3 standard channels and one channel at 1,79MHz...

-The volume balancing isn't as "stable" as in the tune with portamento.

-The overall control is definately more stable, when using portamentos.

The Bass tone has more substance with the portamento. And it would be easy to gain different colors on it. But again the emulation libraries give their restrictions.

Hm ... now that my PC died in Action (actually, while doing a Backup) ....

..........................................one silent minute............................... :|

(It really hooked up to the Hardware Heaven ;) )

... I am using my 2nd PC now for my Internet and ATARI action... 8)

I've noticed, that many problems with the A800win emulator are not there. That means, the instruments are more straight and there are no (unwanted) digital crackles... The timing problems are very low though.

On Monday I have to buy a new CPU, Mainboard & RAM. Then I can test the new "Sound"...

It seems highly depending on the used driver (and/or) soundcard, how reliable the output is.

This one is very nice - particularly the smooth bassline.

Stephen Anderson

One thing, the whole thread shows is that pokey can change the "color of sound" as it is needed for multiple types of music.

If you want some "hard" (rock, techno etc.), you can let pokey sound hard.

If you want to make some nice music (for games like Tetris or any platform game), you can pokey let sound nice without sounding boring though.

You don't need two pokeys or full cpu speed to do this.

So while RMT on the emulations has multiple handycaps you have to work around for reaching what you want to get, people using original HW and trackers like TMC, could easily use 15kHz, 1,79MHz/Filter and all other goodies, POKEY has to offer.

The question is, why no musician is giving it a chance.

Just another conclusion:

Hm.... One key to a clean sounding is the(in midi terms) "attack" time.

It's the time when the ears recognize the sounding as music or not.

So in regular, POKEY uses the simple squarewave. Some may try to "fast change" the pitch, to gain a "different sounding". Because it's done in a fixed speed (PAL VBI 50Hz) it interferes the notation with 50 Hz. So you can do good FX, but nothing much about music.

Well... After the ears recognized the note as "musically", one can ad some tuned in white noise and everyone has "good music".

I changed the melodic voice, to play a clean "square"-tone and playing a fast arpeggio for a chorus like sounding. Please remember that the arpeggio is played at 50Hz.

(Perhaps someone likes this version more)

Actually, it would be the best way to play 'Mod-file like music' , when always the Attack time of a note is played with a special pokey setting and to switch to a one-channel tuned-in noise, to complete the instrument.

RMT offers some basic options for this, but the full coordination is not possible.

So thanks to my amazing POWERS OF THE INTERNET,

I was finally able to figure out just exactly what this thread was.

And I am now finally able to say, "I love this!"

I'm loading MOD's into RMT, playing files, all sorts of stuff!

It reminded me of one of the big reasons I love old hardware:

THE SOUND CHIPS.

I need to get me an SIO2PC so I can hear this on my real hardware :(

*sigh*

Isn't it strange where you find inspiration?

I just got back from a Rammstien gig and the support band were Apocalyptica - A stringed quartet doing metal covers and I have to say they were awesome.

4 instruments? 4 channels?

I think I'll have to try some of their arrangements to see what happens :)

As Im still not fully satisfied with the bass in the fremens tune, I dropped everything with portamento on it. It seems, portamento isn't fast enough at 50Hz...

Now the bass is more straight again, plus a short filter in the "attack" time.

It seems to be the better solution, as it is now recognizable as a "pizzicato" type and it gives the bass a better start.