IGNORED

Holmes CD

Bill Lange

Guys, I'm not familiar with the format these games are in at all.

Its been at least 10-15 years since the last time I even powered an 8bit up.

How do you use them with an 800XL, for example?

Thanks.

958357[/snapback]

There are several different formats (especially in the holmes collection).

So your gonna need to be more specific with the question. .atr, .xfd, .bas, .gz?

Pick yer poison.

Guys, I'm not familiar with the format these games are in at all.

Its been at least 10-15 years since the last time I even powered an 8bit up.

How do you use them with an 800XL, for example?

Thanks.

958357[/snapback]

SIO2PC cable and some software, but emulation is a nice place to start. Atari800Win PLus is a very good emulator.

958381[/snapback]

Ah, so they are useless for a true 8bit setup? Thats they only way I'm running mine. Nothing against emulation or those who use it, but I just prefer the real thing (baby).

:-)

DarkLord,

ATR images are the equivalent of ST/MSA images for the ST. Even when you prefer to use real Atari hardware, a SIO2PC is very recommended.

For the ST it is usually simple to transfer (between a PC to an ST) images via floppies. This is possible in the A8 but it’s much more complicated. This is why most people use a SIO2PC cable.

If you want to run the software on real Atari hardware, you need in the first place, an Atari drive. Plus, with a SIO2PC cable is very easy to write back ATR to physical floppies, that you could use them 100% natively (without the SIO2PC cable).

Or you can use the ATR images directly on a real Atari computer connected to a PC with a SIO2PC cable.

Otherwise how will you transfer images that you get online to your Atari? Well, there are other possibilities, but they are all more complicated or require special hardware.

@ DarkLord: Pound AA member "classics" with PM's tell him you wanna be on the list like ATARIeric for his release of a USB A8 Multicart. Once they are available you will be able to program your own multicarts with the software that are on the holmes CD or files that are all over the internet.

Get in line :D

DarkLord,

ATR images are the equivalent of ST/MSA images for the ST. Even when you prefer to use real Atari hardware, a SIO2PC is very recommended.

For the ST it is usually simple to transfer (between a PC to an ST) images via floppies. This is possible in the A8 but it’s much more complicated. This is why most people use a SIO2PC cable.

If you want to run the software on real Atari hardware, you need in the first place, an Atari drive. Plus, with a SIO2PC cable is very easy to write back ATR to physical floppies, that you could use them 100% natively (without the SIO2PC cable).

Or you can use the ATR images directly on a real Atari computer connected to a PC with a SIO2PC cable.

Otherwise how will you transfer images that you get online to your Atari? Well, there are other possibilities, but they are all more complicated or require special hardware.

958597[/snapback]

This sounds like the first reason that I can understand as to why I really do need to have a SIO2PC cable. The ability to write the ATR file format back to physical floppy for my 800XL to use.

As long as it works under Linux, it sounds good. Nothing personal, and don't want to start a flame war/thread, but I don't do MS products. :-)

Thanks for the reply!

well once you have an sio2pc cable, you can then use the ape software, get yourself the 8mb multicart & then program that cart with games.

www.atarimax.com

edit

not sure if it works with linux, check out classics forums at atarimax

Edited by ATARIeric

• 3 months later...
Can you put the ISO (or pack the CDs with ZIP or RAR) on your site ?

please

it will be easier to get

THX

1025405[/snapback]

Sorry, no. There are three cds full of files. Even zipped up it will be close to a gigabyte. If even one person starts to download a gigabyte across my home network, there will be no bandwidth left for me.

Sorry.

Sorry, no. There are three cds full of files. Even zipped up it will be close to a gigabyte. If even one person starts to download a gigabyte across my home network, there will be no bandwidth left for me

What about share it as torrents?

Many users here have the cd's...

By the way, check out ftp.atari.art.pl is a server with several GB of Atari, software,demos, games, mirrors, magazines, etc.

Hey Bill, have tou removed the games? I can't seem to find them on your site anymore.

Edit: Never mind, I found them :) I am running Opera so the link was hidden behind the top image :)

Thanks for your service!!

/T

1025773[/snapback]

In case anyone else needs the link:

http://www.langesite.com/atari/Holmes/

• 3 months later...
Hi Bill

Your Atari BASIC lister is great, but it seems white on blue option doesn't work. The resulting PNG file is only in black/white. Anyway, nice tool.

http://www.langesite.com/atari/Lister/index.php

I don't think the tool has gotten much use since I first put it up otherwise I would have finished coding out the options. One of these days I may get around to it.

Bill

I don't think the tool has gotten much use since I first put it up otherwise I would have finished coding out the options. One of these days I may get around to it.

Bill

I am one of those who are still using this great tool. I plan to use it in my source code library for listings. Of course, if it is allowed to use this tool this way.

I still have the original CDs that I sent him. If you guys want a copy of them, I can make them for you either as 3 CDs or 1 DVD.

You would just need to send the 3 blank CDs or 1 blank DVD and a return mailer.

PM if you want to get a copy.

I would be interested in these CD's. How do I get the blanks to you?

• 2 months later...

The server crashed about a month ago. I though it was the heat, but it turns out that the eMachine motherboard died. Common problem with the eMachine model. I moved the web server over to a HP that I had laying around. I probably just forget to set up directory browsing under Apache or something.

Been meaning to fix the CSS for Firefox .... just have not gotten around to it.