IGNORED

5200 Emulator Release

DanBoris

I have just released the latest version of my 5200 emulator Virtual Super System (VSS). You can get it from:

http://www.atarihq.com/danb/a5200.shtml

Every game I have tested is now playable except:

Mr Do's Castle, Decathalon, Pole Position, Real Sports Soccer

Major new features include:

-Bounty Bob Strikes Back support put back in.

-Full support for two emulated controllers

-River Raid now works

-Blaster works

For developers:

-New 64K bankswitching mode

-Command line switch to select how to load 16K rom images

-New Debugger command to disassemble to a file

-New Debugger command to break when an address changes.

See the web site for full details.

Dan

Dan Boris thank you for all the work you have done. You have been around sence the start of MAME at least (what about 1995ish) and you seem to be always doing something. I have a few questions for you:

Q: Why is this emu separate from MESS?

Q: Is MESS still going strong?

Q: Will MESS get these changes?

Thanks.

Dan Boris thank you for all the work you have done.  You have been around sence the start of MAME at least (what about 1995ish) and you seem to be always doing something.  I have a few questions for you:

Thanks.

I think you are getting Dan's 5200 emulator mixed up with his 7800 one.

It's his 7800 emulator that was moved into MESS, the 5200 one has always been seperate.

And yes, MESS is still going strong.

Mitch

Dan Boris thank you for all the work you have done.  You have been around sence the start of MAME at least (what about 1995ish) and you seem to be always doing something.  I have a few questions for you:

Thanks.

Here's the story of VSS and MESS. VSS was created long before there was 5200/8-bit support in MESS. At some point another author created and Atari 8-bit/5200 driver for MESS. Although I have created a few drivers for MESS (7800 and Adventurevision), I prefer to work on my own standalone 5200 emulator since it's code I am familier with and can change whenever and however I like. If someone is activley maintaining the MESS 5200 driver I would be happy to give them input on fixes, but I am not really up to doing the fixes in the driver myself at this point in time.

As for MESS, it is still going strong, I am on the developers e-mail list and still get messages everyday.

Dan

Good stuff Dan - about time you updated VSS :P

That "display list fix" you mention makes me smile, 'cos I had to do the same fix to my emu to get Blaster to work.

- jum

Who would have ever thought that someone would point the display list pointer to the END of the display list instead of the start!

Dan

Dan,

Do you (or does someone on this forum) know how to run VSS in a window? I can't get the thing out of full-screen mode.

I've tried editing the 5200.EXE PIF, tweaking 5200.CFG settings, even messing with some of the arcane (and mostly non-functional) graphic-related options in Regal Beagle 2000. No matter what, though, I just can't launch an Atari 5200 game ROM in a window.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

PS: Props on the emulator. I love it. :)

Hehe... Too bad Dan couldn't drop a line to the Nport guy (makes xbox emu) and talk to him about his a800 emulator.

It has a few bugs with sound and it's 5200 mode could use some work.

I thought about compiling a list of suggestions to send the guy, although I'm not too sure how he would take it.

A shame really though, cause his WinstonX port is not as polished as the other ones as well. Just finished perusing thru them and some really had some extra effort (like C64 gamebase support). Way cool.

We need a gamebase style dbase for the atari 8-bit/5200.. :D

Pardon me, just random ramblings.