IGNORED

Your favorite First Gen Atari games?

chairmonkey4406

What was your favorite of the first 9 released games? (Combat, Air-Sea Batle, Basic Math, Black Jack, Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround, Video Olympics) Even what was your favorite back in the day when these were the new games. What game was it that maybe made you want an Atari in the first place? While I wasn't around back then, my favorite now is probably Video Olympics because I'm obsessed with PONG.

Surround was the one I was interested in, and that was after seeing Midway's Checkmate game in the arcade. Basic Programming was another, since I was interested in learning how to program a computer. Of course, I didn't know at that time that such didn't really turn the lowly Atari 2600 into a powerful personal computer until our family finally got it and the keypad controllers, and this being after we had a Timex Sinclair 1000 enter our household.

Video Olympics! Played it even yesterday over at a friends house. He was curious to see what all that Atari stuff I was talking about was about and he insisted on playing that "pong game". :D I beat him at every game variation eventhough I only played Video Olympics once or twicemyself as it's more of a 2-player game and I always lack a second player :( Other early games I like are Bowling (very addicting for some reson, and not too hard). I really want to have Adventure some day, but so far I haven't seen one in PAL.

Going with Indy 500 on this one. Love Combat and Air Sea, too. I am an only child, so the two player games were not much fun for me. Neighbors all had Activision games, and it was MANY years into the 2600's life before we had them. I actually think we got our Indy and controls used at a yard sale.

Much love to all the early efforts, but not a big fan of Basic Math. I still need the gatefold box for this one (anybody got one for sale/trade/organs?)

Cassidy

Well when i first got my Atari 2600 i didn't even know what games were available!

Shocking i know but the first carts i got were

32-in-1 Game Cartridge (atari pack in not bootleg)

Ms. Pac-Man

Phoenix

and Mouse Trap!

I didn't even play Combat till some time afterwards! :lol:

and i had no idea what pong was!

PS is combat on the 32-in-1? i forget i dont tend to use it much! :)

2 player games always rule. I love Video Olympics - good move of Atari to not just include basic 'Pong' but to basically have the ultimate edition of Pong so far. That game has everything (except perhaps, AI)

Back in the day, Combat of course. Combat IS the ultimate 2-player competition stripped down to the basics. One of my favorite Atari memories is playing Combat against my best buddy (3 little planes vs. the big fat bomber) and having him complain about the unfair match-up --- he was the bomber. :D So then we switched and I beat him even worse. :D :D :D I have to confess that he was less experienced, but it was still a sweet victory.

I didn't have Indy 500 until a year or two ago but it's a new favorite. I can't get my wife to play Combat though. :| She'll grudgingly play Indy 500, but she rather likes Street Racer.