IGNORED

600XL OS

I know the ROMs have different part numbers, but I don't know what the real difference is.

-Bry

hmmm I'm thinking of getting the XL/XE OS to see what it would do. I did this Ram upgrade.

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ata.../600xl64Ka.html

It seem to work at first and then I've tried my AirBall cart, the 600Xl took me to the self test mode, so I'm thinking that the 600XL OS is not compatible with XE cart that take a full 64K. Oh, I've all so tried FSII cart I got the same results that I got from AirBall!

This is not the answer on the question.

He asks: is the os replacable?

The answer is: yes!

But only when you upgrade the 600xl with more memory. A 16k -> 64k upgrade is very easy.

I have the MyIDE OS in this 64kb 600xl and it works perfect. In this rom I have the Standard XL/XE os too (switchable) and it works fine.

Marius

Can I replace the 600XL OS with the XL/XE OS :ponder:

Yes, you can.... you should look into Steve Tuckers Warp OS upgrade, its a nice OS upgrade.

Curt

Where can someone obtain Steve Tucker's Warp OS? I have an Atari 600XL that I received from Bryan and it would be interesting to see it boot in another OS.

Nice picture! 8)

Do you find it more fun to play games on a large screen? I remember hearing somewhere that players get better scores on smaller screens than larger screens because they are better able to see the entire screen on a small screen.

Regardless it must be awesome to play on such a large screen :)

Nice picture!  8)  

Do you find it more fun to play games on a large screen? I remember hearing somewhere that players get better scores on smaller screens than larger screens because they are better able to see the entire screen on a small screen.

Regardless it must be awesome to play on such a large screen :)

Yes you can see more and it add to the fun, you can see details that wouldn't with a small sreen, It takes some time to get use it. You should see the 2600 on the big screen lol, Jag Doom on a big screen puts in you the game you can see all the gore. :twisted: If my PC was closer to the TV I would use it to surf with! 8)