IGNORED

Atari 2600 Records?

Philflound

My buddy came across record albums for Atari. These have the original box art for the 2600 games, so that's why I'm putting this topic here.

He went to a flea market and found a couple of them there. He was lucky enough to get two of each, which is all they had. I got one set, he got the other. The two albums he found were Asteroids and Yars Revenge. These were brand new sealed. :) Lucky for me. No, they aren't for sale, but go with my vast video game memorabilia.

My question is this: how many of these albums were made? I can't find them listed in the Digital Press guide nor the Jerry Greiner guide, so I'm leaving it up to my fellow collectors to give me the info. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Yes, they are definitely music. Not sure what kind of music. Probably only instrumental, or possibly some sound effects, but they are full albums.

I'm looking at the Asteroids and Yars albums right now. The back covers shows the 6 bases of Missile Command. There is a sticker on the front that says An Exciting Adventure Story. So besides the songs, there may be a story spoken. On the back of Asteroids, it says Songs Include: Atari Theme, Asteroids, and Time Warp. On Yars, it says Songs Include: Atari Theme, Fly, Yar Warrios!, and Yars' Revenge.

Says all songs published by IJE Music, Inc. Made by Kid Stuff Records and Tapes.

Hope this info helps.

Phil

Yes, they are definitely music. Not sure what kind of music. Probably only instrumental, or possibly some sound effects, but they are full albums.

It depends on the album as to what the music is like, however the usual setup for the album is to have some music at the start (the Atari theme) which is instrumental, some story, another bit of music (a song related to the game), then on the other side: A bit of music (a song relatede to the game), more story, and a finish of a reprise of the Atari theme.

I'm looking at the Asteroids and Yars albums right now. The back covers shows the 6 bases of Missile Command. There is a sticker on the front that says An Exciting Adventure Story. So besides the songs, there may be a story spoken. On the back of Asteroids, it says Songs Include: Atari Theme, Asteroids, and Time Warp. On Yars, it says Songs Include: Atari Theme, Fly, Yar Warrios!, and Yars' Revenge.  

Says all songs published by IJE Music, Inc. Made by Kid Stuff Records and Tapes.

Hope this info helps.

Phil

I know that, at least there's Yar's Revenge, Asteroids, and Missile Command.

Ok, so I'm definitely missing Missile Command. Thanks for the info. If anyone hears of any more of them, it would be great to hear from you. Thinking about it, I feel there would have been two very good albums that would have been made.

The first would have been Haunted House. Maybe it's because I just love anything haunted, skeletons, Halloween, etc. But having a spooky story along with some spooky music and even some sound effects from the video game would have been just too cool.

The second I think would have made a great album would have been Warlords. This game says alot, and you could base the story on Medieval Times fantasy setting similar to the game Catapult, where you could do a story/sound effects of launching giant flaming boulders crashing into walls with men yelling as their castle crumbles.

Maybe Atari should have hired me, though I was just a kid at the time. I'm always thinking of creative ideas when it comes to fantasy and horror. Anyway, I'll stop praising myself and let others post.

Though, we can add to this thread just like I have. Write down albums that were made, and also albums you feel should have been made. Of course, since these were only Atari, please stick with Atari made games. I know people would love Pitfall as an album. :) I think they should have definitely made Space Invaders. Just too logical, though War of the Worlds may have beaten them to it and they thought it was moot.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Phil

I once had the cassette for Missile Command. Found it at Goodwill and bought it as a joke. It was soooo silly. We used to make fun of it at band practice. "Missile Commaaaaaand!" The theme song was worse than anything on the Pac-Man Fever album, I shit you not. Then there was a narrated story with voice-actors trying to sound panicked about missile attacks. Think of those superhero-based book'n'record things we listened to as kids. It was like that, except without the book.

Definitely an idea, but money is tight right now. Unless of course I can find a cheaper frame that doesn't take up much room. I'd like to leave them in the space they're at, which doesn't leave much room. I don't have wall space here at all. If you saw this room, you'd wonder how I can even function. I have every video game I own in this room, my computer with desk, a closet full of games along with 35 long boxes of comics and 4 magazine boxes. The room itself is about 10x11 or so. I never really measured it. One day when I get a video camera I'll tape what everything looks like and people will think I'm crazy.

Phil

Sounds a lot like the room that my wife allows me to keep my toys in. I've got a half dozen console systems, a slew of games, hundreds of vinyl LPs, my computer, my modeling bench, a bunch of built and unbuilt models and a full size arcade cabinet all in a room that's about 10 x 12. :D

-S

• 2 years later...
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/mot505/sbrkout.html">I have to plug my super breakout story book I found....</a>

WARNING: These files contain cheesy material, downloader discretion is advised.

I have a couple of these records: Asteroids and Missile Command. I'm looking for the MP3s of all of them. Any advise in finding these?

Yes, you are only missing one more of the 78 size records, but they also made story book ones with the 45 size records and a few story books with cassette tapes.

The 12 inch records are 33 1/3 RPM, not 78! 78 RPM records are usually 10 inches in diameter, not 12. Back in the day, the 12-inchers were known as "LPs", for Long Playing. I have a turntable that can play 78s but only a few 78 RPM records and no styli. A 45/LP stylus is too small and will sound horrible, plus 78 RPM records contain clay that wears out styli apallingly fast - steel needles should be changed after ONE play, while sapphire is said to be OK for about 10 plays.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 2 weeks later...
this is a medley of "Fly, Yar Warriors!/Missile Command/Atari Theme" that i got from the 365 days music project a while back. missile command starts in at about 2:36.

i am also a proud owner of the missile command record. :D

Yeah, got that medley. It's the clearest one out there...the ones on Digital Press are quite muddled, but beggars can't be choosers. I am also the proud owner of the Missile Command storybook/record and also the Asteroids 33 1/2 rpm record as well.

Edited by TrickmanTerry