IGNORED

New Atari console?

LU8

6 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I mean come on, it runs PC games and software

Where did you get that impression?

At best, it runs games written for Linux.  Linux is not a platform that's generally targetted by game developers, with Steam being the one notable exception.

It's an x64 box, sure.  But that doesn't mean that it has any compatibility with what most of the world would consider to be PC games and software, which implies something running under Windows.

Aesthetically, I thought it looked better in renders than it does with what they've shown of the real device. It seems overly long and flat and not something particularly appealing. With that said, I don't think the PS5 exactly nailed things in the looks department, either, and as we've said, that's a highly subjective thing anyway.

I look at the VCS as a "slightly more capable"/"slightly less capable and flexible" (pluses and minuses to both) version of something like this $110 mini PC: https://amzn.to/3m5454R

613yEQhvgXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The main difference is the VCS is trying to build a platform out of a weak PC-like system and charging a high premium for it. If this didn't have the Atari logo on it, I suspect only a small percentage of the small percentage of people who are interested in it would actually be interested in it. For some, that logo really matters.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
Added photo
  • Like 5

I guess i have better things to do than passionately hating a small PC with an Atari logo on it.  It runs windows, so yes it is compatible with pc software natively. I don’t see what the big deal is.  

i must be getting too old for this shit

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

I guess i have better things to do than passionately hating a small PC with an Atari logo on it.

Oh, I don't hate it, either passionately or dispassionately.  I just think it's a really stupid idea.

It runs windows, so yes it is compatible with pc software natively. I don’t see what the big deal is.

OK.  How do you know that it runs Windows?  All that Fauxtari has confirmed for it is Linux.

Murtaugh?  Is that you?

2 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

What? Atari SA confirmed it can run Windows.  It’s on their website.  

Which it doesn't ship with.  So is that Windows installation in a VM on the Ataribollocks(tm)?

Besides, given the hardware specs, it really doesn't matter if or how it would run it; it'd basically blow for gaming under Windows (much as for Linux).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

What if you want to play windows XP era games? lol

That's best done from within a VM with all networking disabled.  XP is a giant freaking security risk, but it does keep me in employment.

32 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

no it isnt a virtual machine.  It’s natively running windows as a PC. 

This is the part you haven't explained clearly.  If it boots to whatever Linux-based OS Fauxtari is using for their UI, how is it running Windows natively?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

I guess i have better things to do than passionately hating a small PC with an Atari logo on it.  It runs windows, so yes it is compatible with pc software natively. I don’t see what the big deal is.  

I don't hate it either. It's just asking a lot of money for what it's capable of with little to nothing to make it of interest to those outside "I can install my own OS on it" micro-community. From my own perspective, if I'm going to do that, I already have tons of other choices ranging from Raspberry Pi's to Odroids to mini-PCs like the $110 I referenced, as well as lots of actual PCs and laptops and a wide variety of ways to use them with a TV should I so choose.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

That's best done from within a VM with all networking disabled.  XP is a giant freaking security risk, but it does keep me in employment.

This is the part you haven't explained clearly.  If it boots to whatever Linux-based OS Fauxtari is using for their UI, how is it running Windows natively?

Having just now reluctantly browsed their site it appears you have "Atari Mode" to boot from it's own Linux based environment OR "PC MODE" means booting the unit off an externally detected USB device with Windows or whatever OS you want installed. So limited to the transfer speed of the usb port and external device, not truly running natively (running Windows off an external device has never really been a good idea) and so even though it not emulation it wont be booting Windows off it's internal storage and still hindered by the specs of the machine. So as I stated earlier, it will run only older and the least demanding Windows games. Sounds like one would need to purchase Windows, an external device (whatever size wanted for storage and these amazing Windows games ?) all to run them in the worse way not to mention the additional costs for all of it, all of this just subtracting from any perceived value of this being a worthwhile all in one do all machine. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

I guess I will jump into this zombie thread.

Every conversation about the Ataribox always goes the same way. Some names may change with who is debating the door stop but the conversation always goes the same way.

If you like it buy it. But don't be expecting it to solve world hunger or usher in a new age of peace and harmony. Be realistic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Having just now reluctantly browsed their site it appears you have "Atari Mode" to boot from it's own Linux based environment OR "PC MODE" means booting the unit off an externally detected USB device with Windows or whatever OS you want installed.

Oh, yeah.  I remember that now.  Appreciate the reminder.

In other words, Fauxtari has discovered GRUB.  So glad that they did; I was missing booting systems like it was 1999 again.

So limited to the transfer speed of the usb port and external device, not truly running natively (running Windows off an external device has never really been a good idea) and so even though it not emulation it wont be booting Windows off it's internal storage and still hindered by the specs of the machine. So as I stated earlier, it will run only older and the least demanding Windows games. Sounds like one would need to purchase Windows, an external device (whatever size wanted for storage and these amazing Windows games ?) all to run them in the worse way not to mention the additional costs for all of it, all of this just subtracting from any perceived value of this being a worthwhile all in one do all machine. 

Butbutbut...  Holistic ecosystem!  ?

8 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I guess I will jump into this zombie thread.

Every conversation about the Ataribox always goes the same way. Some names may change with who is debating the door stop but the conversation always goes the same way.

If you like it buy it. But don't be expecting it to solve world hunger or usher in a new age of peace and harmony. Be realistic. 

Have reasonable expectations, you say?  NEVER!  :D

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I never expected too much from VCS.  It’s served as a cool curiosity though.  It’s surreal that someone would try their hand at making atari into a hardware company/brand again.  Thats really the main appeal to me.  

Honestly this VCS fiasco and drama is still more interesting than what atari, SA was doing before all this.  I want to see what becomes of the hotel project, too.  It’s almost as if Atari, SA is trying to make themselves into an actually unique company.  Digital console with pc/hobbyist features, a branded hotel, speaker hats?  Its all very strange.  How could you not be curious and amused by all this.  It’s certainly more entertaining than the Atari brand outright dying as it seemed like it was on occasion.     If it is commercial flop at least it for a while it broke the intense monotony that the gaming industry has become.  Sony and microsoft and nintendo have been boring me to death... More competition is always welcome, even in the form of the controversial Atari, SA.  The controversy makes it even more interesting from my point of view. Lol 

• Like 3

Digital console with pc/hobbyist features, a branded hotel, speaker hats?  Its all very strange.  How could you not be curious and amused by all this.  It’s certainly more entertaining than the Atari brand outright dying as it seemed like it was on occasion.    

It's not "strange", "curious", or "amusing" but extremely depressing. They are not some well-meaning people experimenting with brand revival, but a bunch of cynical hucksters who will flog the Atari license to literally anybody, no matter how shady or doomed their project is. It'd be much better if Atari was left to R.I.P and remained an industry legend, instead of being feasted on by these ghouls.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, AlecRob said:

Sony and microsoft and nintendo have been boring me to death... 

Legitimate question... How so? You have two uber powerful 4K-centric consoles with pseudo-physical, downloadable, and streaming games, and one just-powerful-enough hybrid console/portable with a touchscreen that uses either physical media or downloadable content. All three consoles have almost every possible genre represented, indies to AAA, and silly large game libraries, including access to games of generations past. PC and mobile aside - which opens up even more possibilities - what could possibly be boring about such versatile console platforms? 

I'm definitely all for competition and alternative platforms, but of the alternative platforms that are out there and/or coming, the VCS is hardly a beacon of alternative options/programming. It's more of the same, only much less so. So if you're genuinely bored with what's already out there, I don't see how the VCS will lift you out of your ennui. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I guess I’m just wrong and stupid for supporting this thing.  I’ll go back to facebook and talk with all the other wrong, stupid people.

The passive-aggressive self-pity-party routine is beyond old, and has acquired you zero sympathy points.

What I'm failing to understand here is what you've hoped to accomplish.  Are all of us who see this as a sub-par, overpriced trinket with the Atari name slapped onto it - by a company that would licence that name onto dog turds if they thought there was a buck in it for them - suddenly supposed to have had some sort of epiphany that makes us embrace and tenderly nuzzle it to our bosoms, while stroking its head and making soothing noises at it?

I truly and honestly would like to know what you were expecting, because I really cannot comprehend why you kept doing the same thing but hoping for a different result.  Help us to understand.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I chose not to care about all the apparent negatives and bought the product because i thought it looked fashionable. I’m only out $200.  I’m not that poor.  Some people like to gamble.

Indiegogo locked in our shipping addresses, so it will arrive soon. 

My previous comment was sarcasm.  

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1

I chose not to care about all the apparent negatives and bought the product because i thought it looked fashionable. I’m only out $200.  I’m not that poor.  Some people like to gamble.

Which is fine: you can spend your money as you see fit, and it's no-one else's job to save you from how you spend it.  But by the same token, that doesn't prohibit anyone else from registering an opinion on the item in question.

My previous comment was sarcasm.  

Reply taken as read, but it really did not come across that way on either first or subsequent readings.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

I'm interested in the Atari VCS 800 too, but I missed the crowd-funder. Family took priority over gaming in recent years.
The comparison between the new Atari VCS and the BMax mini PC is a fair one many people might make, looking at a
$140 from Amazon for the BMUX, and then add a couple of joystick controllers, or any special software considerations.
In Europe, though, that box is usually about €180, nearer to $220, but I saw it on Cyber Monday sale just now half price!

So if we take the system hardware cost as similar, how does performance compare?
https://versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-embedded-r1606g-vs-intel-celeron-n3350

Also, I see regularly comments saying the Raspberry Pi is as good as it can also run emulators for the Atari VCS, but
of course nobody would a VCS just for that, when also the Atari mini retro consoles, for TV or handheld do that easily.
I have several Pi boards, and other micro-controller boards, but not for modern games or running Windows 10 either.

Likewise, reasonable comparisons with the Xbox and PS5 are reasonable, but for me, they're for dedicated gamers,
and they're not open for homebrew yet, but for sure, I prefer them to upgrading any of my PCs for the latest games.
Amazing hardware, but €400 for a diskless PS5, or €500 for an Xbox series X, is still a lot for a dedicated game box.

I don't understand why so many people are dead-set against the new Atari VCS, or have such a passion in hating the
project, but then again, I love my Atari Jaguar, and everybody hated that too, partly because it wasnt't from real-Atari,
being a Tramiel creation. Well, also, most of our range was not "real Atari", after Nolan Bushnell sold up. I like his quote
that he'd probably not have sold it if he hadn't just been so tired. For me, the Infogrames-Atari team deserve a chance.

Most of my work colleagues are unphazed by spending nearly $2000 on a new graphics card, $1000 on a better CPU
to play the new games, on multiple monitors at 4K resolution. I guess they're hard-core gamers, and I'm not, because
that kind of money is closer to what I spend on server components, and I can't justify it against supporting my family.
I would welcome a VCS to explore PC games. I'll see how things stand next summer, if they hit European shelves.
(If somebody has an unwanted option on the VCS, in Europe, I'd take the option off your hands, if that could happen.)

For people in Europe who cannot wait, we could buy another system a Ryzen R1000 series, such as this with the very
SAME CPU. We can then just add 8GB RAM, an SSD, some similar, perhaps PS4, wireless controllers, install Ubuntu
Linux and some emulators, setup virtualisation for the sandbox, and we have some of they key features of the VCS. 
As the unique Atari joystick with paddle function is compatible with other platforms, another 60 for that is worthwhile.  
https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/292502/Asrock-4x4-box-V1000M

Alternatively, HP have a tiny PC with SSD also based on the AMD Ryzen R1504 but that's a bit costly at just over 650
so I won't bother to link to that. It does have 8GB RAM and a small SSD included though, so then just add controllers.

The Intellivision Amico also looks interesting, and it's already possible to pre-order in Europe, for around €272 / $325,
but the same comments are made on pricing, and it's very much a single use box, reliant on Intellivision surviving, but
the Atari VCS can at least be used as a usefully powerful PC gaming console, and I love the design of the controllers.
I love the concept, but I only hear people saying it's a rehashed Wii-U for family concept. That's not a bad thing for me,
as I still have a Wii-U (and Wii) setup for the TV, along with 7800, Jaguar, and some others. I'm for sure enthusiastic.

Anyway, I rarely venture out of the Atari Jaguar forums here, so forgive me for dropping thoughts here, and moving on.
For me, more important right now is to survive the pandemic, the economic turmoil, and look for positives where I can.
The Jaguar scene had a horrible period of forum-fighting 20 years ago now I guess, even long after Atari Corp. folded.

I hope I'll be around in 20 years to remember the days of the Atari VCS 800 launch, just as I remember the Jaguar one!
Greetings and best wishes from The Netherlands! 

• Like 4