IGNORED

Best Monitor For The ST?

Thanks to one Mr. Vendel I am now the proud owner of a minty Mega ST 4 (decided the STE wasn't worth it). However I'm wondering what's the best monitor to use with it? I have a PS3000 monitor that picked up on ebay for a song (and finally just got the power supply) for color and a regular old ST standard monochrome monitor for high res (SM144?). Are there better monitors to use or are these pretty good? Did any 3rd party companies make better monitors or are Atari's the best to use?

Tempest

Minty - did he put a pack of wrigleys gum in the disk drive :D - couldnt resist!

As for monitors -

I presume you wont be doing much productivity on it? The SM124 works fine for that stuff.

I always liked my SC1224 color screen with the ST series. You need to make sure you dont get the Goldstar version (power button on front), otherwise it should be fine.

Not sure if specific 3rd party monitors came out for the ST series but def some cables were made to work with Multisync screens.

My vote is for the SC1224

If you can find one and afford it, the Atari 1435 is the monitor to get. 14 inch, stereo, and the picture is as crisp and minty as your Mega! Since they are much harder to find than the 1224, they tend to be on the pricey side.

I'll second that. I love my 1435! Even works with the Jaguar (but I've got to rebuild that stupid cable, darn it!)

If you can get hold of them, the Phillips CM8833 mk1 and mk2 monitors are also hard to beat. They were popular here in UK and also (I think) in Europe, not so sure about the US market.

They are fine monitors even now and work well with PS2, Gamecube, etc. Check out Ebay to see if there are any there.

Cheers,

Felice.

http://www.thesmartertraveller.com

hey a question on the scart..does it plug into the monitor port or the RF? got a nice flat screen TV but it doesn't have a scart port (must be mainly a European option?) it does have a svhs plug tho..wonder if anyone makes a cable for the ST/STE that would plug into that?

I have an SC1224, one with the power button on the front, although I thought it was something other than a Goldstar...anyway, it looks perfectly sharp with good color to me, so if it is a Goldstar, mine works great. But if I had the opportunity to pick one up for cheap, I'd get a 1435 for the larger screen. Since you already have an Atari monochrome and the PS3000 (assuming it's compatible), I think you're fine. But if you're unhappy with the picture quality, just go for the best (1435). For momnochrome, I use a monochrome emulator prog/acc which works great, though probably not as sharp as the real thing.

The goldstar is the most common monitor with the power located on the side. The JVC the best on made the power button is on the front. This monitor is sloped on the top. The last one is the Samsung it has the power button on the front . Its a more boxy unit than the others looks like it was made to be used for a Mega.

The JVC is the most reliable and the blacks are darker and the whites are very bright.

The PS3000 is a JVC monitor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really worth hunting down a SC1435 over my PS3000? I see there's one up on ebay, but I have no idea what it's going to end at. Then again, with as small as the Atari ST monitors are, those 2" could make all the difference.

Tempest

• 2 years later...
I have an SC1224, one with the power button on the front, although I thought it was something other than a Goldstar...anyway, it looks perfectly sharp with good color to me, so if it is a Goldstar, mine works great. But if I had the opportunity to pick one up for cheap, I'd get a 1435 for the larger screen. Since you already have an Atari monochrome and the PS3000 (assuming it's compatible), I think you're fine. But if you're unhappy with the picture quality, just go for the best (1435). For momnochrome, I use a monochrome emulator prog/acc which works great, though probably not as sharp as the real thing.

Hello. I'm looking for a monochrome emulator prog/acc for 1040STf. Could you send the one you use by mail

armangil@prodigy.net.mx

Yes I own a SC1224.

Thanks.

P.D. My SM124 just failed and I'm in the middle of a project. I hope you can

lend me a hand.

Edited by Clea

For momnochrome, I use a monochrome emulator prog/acc which works great, though probably not as sharp as the real thing.

Hello. I'm looking for a monochrome emulator prog/acc for 1040STf. Could you send the one you use by mail

armangil@prodigy.net.mx

Yes I own a SC1224.

I was just asking if anyone uses those programs.

(I thought I looked through this thread, but must have missed it.)

Any other opinions on these programs?

I'm seriously considering a 1084s using one of these programs for when I might need hi-res.

Thanx,

Desi

If you can get hold of them, the Phillips CM8833 mk1 and mk2 monitors are also hard to beat. They were popular here in UK and also (I think) in Europe, not so sure about the US market.

They are fine monitors even now and work well with PS2, Gamecube, etc. Check out Ebay to see if there are any there.

Cheers,

Felice.

http://www.thesmartertraveller.com

Yep,

The Philips are great (and just keep on going!) - The Atari SC1435 is actually using the same CRT as the Philips 8833Mk2.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Minty - did he put a pack of wrigleys gum in the disk drive :D - couldnt resist!

As for monitors -

I presume you wont be doing much productivity on it? The SM124 works fine for that stuff.

I always liked my SC1224 color screen with the ST series. You need to make sure you dont get the Goldstar version (power button on front), otherwise it should be fine.

Not sure if specific 3rd party monitors came out for the ST series but def some cables were made to work with Multisync screens.

My vote is for the SC1224

Uhh...the Samsung monitors also have the power switch on the front, I have two, so that's not the best way to tell if it's a Goldstar or not...becuase the Samsung monitors are fantastic IMHO.

SORRY, I just realized this was an old thread that had been revived...

Edited by Gunstar