IGNORED

Atari 2600 and Atari 5200. Rest in Peace

Atari Charles

:o Are you crazy? j/k

one of these days there will be NO 2600's or 5200's left!

and if we live to see that day then you will be kicking yourself

that you did that!

But still the crushed combat does look kinda cool if you still have the broken

cart then why not use it as a decoration? it would sure look good! :D :lol:

Now running over a copy of Skeet Shoot, I could understand.

A Nintendo VirtualBoy--hell, why not?

A TVGames Activision machine in a pseudo PS2 controller? Dude, give me the wheel.

But a 2600? Some people ain't got no respect.

PS-check out my ebay atari auctions HERE.

I've never understood the fascination that some people have with "Let's destroy [itemX] using [itemY]" -- BBQing motherboards, dropping electronics from 3rd floor windows, etc. It's like, ok, fine-- you're willing to prove to the world that you have so much free time, and so little imagination, that all you can do to entertain yourself is destroy things? It's one thing to take something apart to see what's inside, but trashing something cause [as someone else said] "heh heh... that's cool, Beavis" is just stupid.

sheesh.

At least they said the 2600 and 5200 were non-working, but still.

To be fair, some of those "destruction experiments" are kinda funny. Remember The TWINKIES Project?

Of course twinkies are in no danger of extinction, and indeed have a shelf life of about twice that of an Atari.

This "experiment" was just moronic though. About the only results I can conclude from it is that certain species of human being are capable of cramming their heads so far up their bottoms that they can yodel up their own throat.

This is the Atari police. You are under arrest for intentional destruction of Atari equipment. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be held against you in a court of law..yada..yada..yada..you know the words by now right? :ponder:

It is hard enough for some people to find a working 2600 system and you people go out and destroy one! You guys need to find a better hobby than that :x

Hi everyone,

I remember in the 1990's, people literally regarded Atari 2600 and games as virtually worthless. My friend got a free Atari 2600 with a bunch of games at a garage sale for free in 1998. There have also been other instances where I have gotten free Atari 2600s and games from nieghbours, friends, and garage slaes for free.

It is a waste what they did with the systems but I think he mentioned one was already broken. Shop rates are expensive so sometimes things just are not worth fixing. Even for myself, if I have an electric appliance and it is worth under a $100 and it stops working. I will try to fix it myself, but if I cannot, I throw it in the garbage. I've done this with kitchen appliances, portable stereos and CD players, and even old digital effects units(for guitar).

If I can rebuy a new unit for under a $100 and it is going to minimally cost me $40 to fix. I'd rather throw out the old junk and buy a new one, even though it will cost me more.

With that said, I personally wouldn't destroy any Atari, Commodore, Intellivision, etc. game or computer system. I would just use it for parts.

One friend of mine threw a Vic-20 with joystick atached out a 20th story apartment balcony which landed and smashed in a field behind said apartment building. To him, it was worthless so he got some enjoyment out of it. Still I wouldn't have done it.

Although, I would have no problem throwing an E-Machine computer out a 20th story window. Those things are junk!

In a way, I like when people think of their old Atari 2600s and games as old worthless junk. It means I can get it for a song and a dance, a song, or for free. If they knew what a following this game system had, they'd be asking $20 for a splotched Pac-Man or ET cartridge.

Atari Charles