IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection's log (updated May, 10th)

opcode

Now that would be nice, but where can I find the ROM set?

Unfortunately, I don't think the ROM set has ever materialized. It may be buried someplace at Midway, or maybe one of the GCC guys still has it. It would be a great find.

BTW, great website.

I can only take credit for stumbling across it during a web search. ;)

Now that would be nice, but where can I find the ROM set?

Unfortunately, I don't think the ROM set has ever materialized. It may be buried someplace at Midway, or maybe one of the GCC guys still has it. It would be a great find.

Maybe someone here does know one of the GCC guys.... :)

I have the greatest admiration for GCC. It would be nice to know someone who worked there.

Eduardo

Yes, Crazy Otto is pretty much the same as Ms pac, even the intermissions. I've done a comparison of the code and iirc the only differences were a couple of bug fixes, the text, and a slight change to the ms pac display routine to make the otto graphic move slightly differently than ms pac. I have not seen the graphics data though.

Yes, Crazy Otto is pretty much the same as Ms pac, even the intermissions.  I've done a comparison of the code and iirc the only differences were a couple of bug fixes, the text, and a slight change to the ms pac display routine to make the otto graphic move slightly differently than ms pac.  I have not seen the graphics data though.

Hehehehehe..... Yes, we found it!!!!! :D :D ;)

That was fast! :D

Ok, PVT now...

Found it?  Was it submitted to Mame.net?

They know more about it than I do.

Opcode: I'll send you a brief summary of the main code change. You'll be on your own on the text changes and graphics. The text changes should be obvious, changing ms pac to crazy otto. The graphics you should be able to do mostly from the pic. There's possibly 2 different pics. I saw one in people magazine that was seemed slightly different than the one Time pic Kev has on his site. But I don't know if it's available online anywhere, and I was too cheap to buy the issue in the store. I wish I had now, as it would be a big help.

Jerry Lawrence was working on a graphics hack for the arcade game, don't know how far along he is. I had the idea myself but didn't because it would make it nearly impossible to find the real set if one exists.

They know more about it than I do.

They??

Jerry Lawrence was working on a graphics hack for the arcade game, don't know how far along he is.  I had the idea myself but didn't because it would make it nearly impossible to find the real set if one exists.

I found this:

http://www.cis.rit.edu/~sdlpci/Image/2004/.../02/ottoman.gif

Eduardo

I found this recent post:

I saved Mr. Goodwraith's old post (from MAME board) about this topic.

-------

Subject Here's the deal

Posted by Mr. Goodwraith

Posted on 03/20/04 02:02 PM

OK, here's the status of "Otto" AFAIK: The disk with the game program (and data?) on it is in some long-obsolete Tektronix format that nobody we know of has the hardware or software to read. We're still working on it.

--Randy

Eduardo

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: July 8th

Finally my sprite engine is completed. The shape sub-engine is now working and it will be used with the opening and intermission #1. I think it also means no major feature is missing and Pac-Man now just needs a little bit more polishing before I am done with it.

The idea behind the shape sub-engine is to minimize or even eliminate any flicker during intermissions. Since all moving objects in SIC were produced by shapes (and no sprites) it wasn't very difficult to me to reuse those routines with Pac-Man. The difference is that SIC was completely shape driven, while PM is a mix between sprites and shapes. That is an interesting experiment and one which can prove very usefull in the future, helping me to port games like Wizard of Wor or Moon Patrol.

Screenshots bellow...

post-1432-1089340214_thumb.jpg

UPDATE: July 8th

Since all moving objects in SIC were produced by shapes (and no sprites) it wasn't very difficult to me to reuse those routines with Pac-Man. The difference is that SIC was completely shape driven, while PM is a mix between sprites and shapes. That is an interesting experiment and one which can prove very usefull in the future, helping me to port games like Wizard of Wor or Moon Patrol.

Screenshots bellow...

So since you were using no sprites, just shapes, what are the limits to the number of onscreen objects you can have? Is it possible using this technique to have 40 shapes onscreen and then add another 32 sprites onscreen? Have you documented how to do this SIC shapes technique anywhere?

So since you were using no sprites, just shapes, what are the limits to the number of onscreen objects you can have? Is it possible using this technique to have 40 shapes onscreen and then add another 32 sprites onscreen? Have you documented how to do this SIC shapes technique anywhere?

There is no limit. The only limit is how smooth and how fast you want your objects to move. I am estimating that for most cases it is possible to move 8 small shapes (16x16) at 60 frames per second. SIC moves 5 shapes at 30 frames per second and PMC moves 4 at 60 per second. But for most games the best option still is to use sprites with a [good] flicker routine.

UPDATE: 15th July

I have good news, Pac-Man is finally completed. Mr Debro himself approved the gameplay today, which, in his words, is "arcade perfect". He tried a few arcade patterns of his own and they worked flawless.

Of course the game still needs to go thru extensive beta testing and maybe a few tweaks will need to be done but right now it seems completed and polished enough.

Now I can spend some serious time with Ms Pac-Man, the real deal in this collection. Thanks everybody so far. Special thanks go to my beta testers, Dennis, Troy and Jess (for valuable feedback), and technical adviser Dav, who is an absolute Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man code expert. :)

I take the chance to announce Pac-Man will be availabe for play testing at this year's CGE. So if you going to the show, look around for this.

Eduardo

May I ask how, if at all, Pac-Man Plus is faring in the collection? Or was it scrapped in favor of Ms. Pac?

Hi!

I haven't started work on that one yet. To be honest I still need to see if there will be space left in the cart to add PMP after PM and Ms PM. I am planning PMC as a 64KB cartridge, but so far the original PM has already taken 26KB, so... we will see.

Eduardo

May I ask how, if at all, Pac-Man Plus is faring in the collection? Or was it scrapped in favor of Ms. Pac?

Hi!

I haven't started work on that one yet. To be honest I still need to see if there will be space left in the cart to add PMP after PM and Ms PM. I am planning PMC as a 64KB cartridge, but so far the original PM has already taken 26KB, so... we will see.

Eduardo

You probably already noticed this but in ms pac the second half of boot6 is garbage.

Hi Dav,

I noticed Japanese set1, which you called a bootleg, has corrected a bug related to Pac-Man movement (when he is going up). All the other ROM sets exhibit this bug (including the US versions), except puckman (harder?) (in fact it isn't), which seems to be a newer revision. So maybe set1 isn't a bootleg after all. What do you think?

Eduardo

Hi Dav,

I noticed Japanese set1, which you called a bootleg, has corrected a bug related to Pac-Man movement (when he is going up). All the other ROM sets exhibit this bug (including the US versions), except puckman (harder?) (in fact it isn't), which seems to be a newer revision. So maybe set1 isn't a bootleg after all. What do you think?

Eduardo

I hadn't noticed that. If it doesn't use mode 2 interupts I still say it's a bootleg. It's not unusual for there to be bootlegs of sets we don't have yet. One of the sets of pucman, I don't remember which, had different sized roms, but did use mode 2 so is likely a hack of some kind. It would be extremely odd for it to use some 2k and some 4k roms for the program roms. Last I looked none of the sets looked like valid pucman dump. Actual Pucman boards are exetremly rare in the US, and apparenly everywhere except Japan. Here they seem to be outnumbered by bootlegs hundreds to one. Until someone posted a picture on the arcade board I'd never even talked to anyone that had even seen a verified picture of one. So I wouldn't be suprised if all the dumps in mame are from bootleg boards.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: August 21th

I have finally finished work on Ms Pac-Man graphics. Even if the arcade graphics look simple (and they indeed are), porting them to the CV isn't easy task. Maze graphics need to be scaled down, then a minimum common graphic set needs to be defined. In Ms Pac-Man's case, it isn't possible to fit all graphic tiles inside the video memory, so I am going to upload the necessary tiles in a per stage basis.

I hope to have a working demo in a few days. Still aiming for a release later this year...

Eduardo

• 10 months later...