IGNORED

Yo! Did you buy a current version of Thrust+?

krisjohn

Yo! Did you buy a current version of Thrust+?

Yeah I finally did.. Well, actually I got it as a gift. But yeah I got the cart. Prior to that however, I was 100% fine playing it on the Cuttle Cart (although Thomas did say that made me inelligible for the Thrust contests :ponder: :lol:)

So yeah, put em in special "Hulk" green edition cart cases, or on both ends of a double cart. Count me as one who doesn't really care as long as the game shows up on the tv and is controllable. :D

I've got an original Hozer version of "Thrust" and have been meaning to pick up a "Platinum" version for some time now. I think that the clear cart is just the thing to put it over the top for me. In fact, I PMed Al about it a couple of weeks ago. He said that Thomas was feeling a little iffy about the idea. I put my vote in as a resounding "YES" if for no other reason than to get me off of my cheap lazy butt and finally buy the damned thing!

Thomas, Al, you guys just need to go for it. Make those clear and colored carts and sell as many as possible. We've always said that there are two types of fans here: the collectors who gotta have every variant possible and the players, who are happy as long as the game is good and loads up.

After the fiftieth software revision for Thrust, the gamers were getting angry. The justifiable reaction was that we might as well stop buying homebrews and just wait for improved ROMs to be released. We wondered where it all would end, so Thomas decided to end it for good. Great decision.

But the collectors are a different beast. If people will spend money just to get a different piece of plastic with the game, then you should sell it to them. The program would be exactly the same, so the gamers don't feel slighted at all this time.

I really think that you people should take better advantage of the collector's market. Put out special boxes, special colors, whatever you can think of. The collectors want it, so keep them happy and make a few dollars. The gamers don't mind because we don't lose out by not owning the special packaging. Everyone should be happy in the end.

Hmm.

It appears I'm alone in this opinion, but I prefer my copy of Thrust+ Platinum the way it is. In a standard Black case.

The clear version just doesn't look quite right to me.

I'm all for use of clear and colored carts for other games( I own a few ), but the current label of Thrust doesn't quite match the clear surroundings like it does on the all-purpose black cart.

A game like the upcoming Sea Wolf should be available only in a blue case. Too many choices or variations to choose from could become a bit confusing.

From a Star Wars action figure collector point-of-view: I'm a bit turned off to it nowadays because they've got so much out there now to collect! : Luke Skywalker with a cloth cloak, Luke Skywalker with a plastic cloak, Luke Skywalker in a different pose, and on and on... :roll:

Anyways, not more than 1 or 2 variations is okay. Just my 2 U.S. cents. Carry on. 8)

Hi there!

A game like the upcoming Sea Wolf should be available only in a blue case.

That is how we're gonna do it :)

Gunfight and Star Fire will have options to chose, but I'd always recommend using the black ones, as the labels were designed for them and so they naturally look best IMHO. Also they're cheaper ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

It appears I'm alone in this opinion, but I prefer my copy of Thrust+ Platinum the way it is. In a standard Black case.

The clear version just doesn't look quite right to me.

Same here, but most people seem to think different. Probably it is just looking cooler that way. ;)

To be honest, if I already had the game I'm probably not going to go out and buy it in every available color. While options are nice, Nintendo seemed to get along fine without them. It costs more money to make different colored carts, and only about 3 people will go out and buy it in every color. Besides that, sales would pretty much stay the same, in my opinion.

Gunfight and Star Fire will have options to chose, but I'd always recommend using the black ones, as the labels were designed for them and so they naturally look best IMHO. Also they're cheaper ;)

Actualy I think Gunfight looks awsome in red

It's a matter of personal taste.

In fact if there was an orange cart for Funky Fish I'd buy the whole UA Ltd Bundle ;)

An artist should not have to be told what to do with their creation by everyone with an opinion. This is his vision not yours. His decision should be respected, not plastered up on the web in a show to the world that he must be wrong for not wanting to follow your suggestion.

As an owner of Thrust+ Platinum, I believe that Thomas should be able to do whatever the hell he wants with his game and if anyone complains, to beat them over the head with a clear case Thrust.

Usually you are right of course.

But I promised not to do any more variations and maybe some people finally bought the game just because they believed me then. I don't want to disappoint them. That's why I am asking if anybody would feel, that I would renege on my promise when allowing a clear cart.

An artist should not have to be told what to do with their creation by everyone with an opinion. This is his vision not yours. His decision should be respected, not plastered up on the web in a show to the world that he must be wrong for not wanting to follow your suggestion.

Okay, but does that mean you're in favour of a clear case and Thomas shouldn't listen to the people that complained about multiple versions, or are you saying that if Thomas doesn't want to allow clear cases, I should respect that?

• 2 weeks later...

If offering Thrust in a different colored cartridge shell helps to sell more copies of the game, I say go for it! As far as I'm concerned, let the overzealous collector buy each variation. It will only serve to feed his hunger while adding a nice option for the rest of us.

No one will be hurt if the game is shipped with a new case. I think it would be silly to think of this as a "new edition" - it is just plastic after all. I wish that cartridges had been released in different colored cases all along. IMO, bland grey casing of NES cartridges seems drab and boring compared to Famicom cartridges.

Back to the origin of this little debate - if Thomas in fact wanted to continue developing and adding to Thrust, it should be his decision. As gamers, we are just the beneficiaries of his own little obsession. Anyone who actually becomes upset or even angry over any new development should rethink the hobby or have his head checked.

... just my 2 pesos. ;-)

As a very happy Thrust + Platinum owner, I dont't see any problems with the game being released in different cases. I personally though Thomas' promise to release no new versions had only to do with the game's code, not it's packaging.

As a fellow SW figure collector, I feel Gateway's pain. But the best way to deal with unwanted variations (of either the Atari or Star Wars variety) is simply not to buy them! :-)

No one will be hurt if the game is shipped with a new case.  I think it would be silly to think of this as a "new edition" - it is just plastic after all.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of Atari collectors out there that try to get complete sets of label variations as well... personally, I think that's a waste of time, but there you go.

I was actually going to pick up a copy of Thrust and Qb just the other day, but was a little confused by the lack of a color option for Thrust. I was hoping to pick up a clear case version of it.... I guess I'll wait to see how this ends up before I put in an order.

--Zero

Keep in mind that there are plenty of Atari collectors out there that try to get complete sets of label variations as well... personally, I think that's a waste of time, but there you go.

I have them in mind, and I sympathize. For those who hunger for every label and cart variations... I say feed 'em. :-D

I was actually going to pick up a copy of Thrust and Qb just the other day, but was a little confused by the lack of a color option for Thrust.

Both are excellent games. Emulation doesn't do either of them justice. When you get Thrust, I suggest that you have a driving controller and footpedal controller ready. It's one of the coolest games I have ever played, but this controller combination makes it just that much more fun! ;-)

When you get Thrust, I suggest that you have a driving controller and footpedal controller ready.

Well, I already have a good pair of Driving Controllers sitting around gathering dust... but while we're on the topic of the foot pedal, I noticed that the Thrust+ Platinum entry in the Store section claims that you can get the foot pedal for an extra $10 (thus saving $5) when buying Thrust... so does this happen automatically when I buy the two of them, or do I have to do something special? (Simply clicking "Add to Cart" for both of them seems to charge me the full price) :?

--Zero

When I bought mine and a foot controller, I asked Albert about it and he verifyed that the $5 extra gets subtracted from the total, but it is after you complete the order and are ready to send payment, I think :ponder: ( It was a while ago, and I paid by check ) but you should be able to enter this inquiry in the "Comments" box of the order form, just to make sure Al doesn't forget.

Hope this helps. :)