IGNORED

game cartridge database program

berzerk

YES! It's called Cart Commander..

I got if from some where a couple months ago.

The email address in the screen gives me bking@arcaderestoration.com

I don't see cart commander on his site anymore, you might drop him an email about it.

I tried it out in it's early stages, it is really awesome.

I started writing a program along these lines some time ago and it was pretty far along before I got side tracked. It used a fairly complex database, not unlike what we have at AtariAge. I actually had an import program that could even parse the Giant List of Label Variations to import data, complete with all the details for each game. And I had an import wizard that allowed you to pretty much import any type of list.

I could generate all sorts of cool reports with it and could even export data into a format I could then read into my Palm (back when they were simply called "Pilot") so I'd know what I already had in my collection when roaming flea markets.

I may need to revive that project someday, but I'll have to check out Cart Commander first to see how it compares.

..Al

Well..aside from not having the scans of my carts next to the lines of everything else...it is about as complete as they come.

That compare feature kicks...as if you could get just about everyone to use this program, then comparing the lists would be so much easier.

For being a 1 meg download...it excellent.

I am impressed.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys. A new version should be out tonight (Figure 10pm Arizona Time) if I don't hear anything bad from my BETA testers

This is the biggest update I've done to it so far. Lots of little things cleaned up.

I added several things, the big things to note are:

Trade List - Allows you to create a list of all your Dupes on a report so that you know what you have to trade. Good for CGE!

Standardized Platform Names - This means everyone should be using Atari 2600 rather than 100 different variations. This will make it easier for future releases to do comparisions.

Standardized Manufacturer Names - This is going to be key to helping do accurate cart comparisons.

Both of those will also help when I add some Web Enabled features in the next release.

Lots of new Master Lists have been added. A good chunk of the Platform Names are already in the list (you can add more via the Options). All the Platforms have a fairly extensive list of Manufactures already.

Data Entry has been improved with new short-cut keys, and better logic behind some of the dialogs.

There is a long list of improvements in the Release notes.

If you have any feature requests feel free to email me. I am very open to suggestions.

See you guys at CGE!

quote:

Originally posted by Wntermute:

Hey Brien.. have any solutions for the Mac users out here?

(other than "get VirtualPC" or "get a real computer" .. the former is just a kludge and the latter is just plain rude)

Well, thats rather rude that you would assume thats what I would respond with.

To answer your question, though, the answer is no. The primary reason is that I don't have a MAC, thus I can not do development work on it. Well, Ok, I do have a MAC LCII in the closet, but with no keyboard or mouse.

Is there a Delphi equivalent on the MAC? I heard rumors that someone was doing a "Delphi Clone" on the MAC. If that is true, then there is a chance. However, a slim one.

quote:

Originally posted by [hurt]138:

so did you use Delphi to code this then, because i could us something like this but for linux and i know that there is Delphi for linux

Yes, I am looking into doing a Linux version, however, there hasn't been a very big demand for it. So Far I have 1 vote for MAC and 1 vote for Linux.

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

Count another vote for a Mac version! I'd love to be able to use that piece of software, and it sounds like your plans for future releases will be quite cool!

Well, there is only two ways I am going to do a Mac Version.

1) Borland Ports Kylix to the Mac OS (or it runs under OS X)

2) There is a Delphi clone on the Mac that is free, but doesn't force me to release my code under the GPL.

The Linux version is probably going to wait until I can afford Kylix (not the Open Edition).

One feature which is missing...

You need to add a column for Regions.

Yeap..Regions. I have told many others about this program and they think it rocks aside from the fact that it is missing an area for putting in the regions.

So...add that one little extra column and all should be complete.

Love the Cart Commander, I've even been able to figure out how to add more consoles, so my Dreamcast and PS1&2 are now cataloged in it as well!! One question though...is there any way to send the cart lists to a Palm device? That way I can travel with my cart lists, so I don't keep buying duplicates and leaving behind needed carts? You don't even want to know how often this happened yesterday to me

Jahfish: You have to make sure you wash your hands before "handling" your stick. Otherwise you might get a really aweful taste in your mouth. That taste is the build up of years worth of grease and grime which hath collected on your stick all this time. I call this hidden awful tasting goo "Atari jam".

Atari70s what kinds of probs are you having with the program? Basically you just unzip ip to a directory somewhere and then fire up the executable for it. Then to add the carts download the master 2600 list from the same site and simply check on that list what you have. Afterwards add your label variations manually. That is what I had to do.

Also had to create a 7800 and Genesis list from scratch so that continues to grow as I get more carts. Speaking of which...I need to add my recently aquired Fast Food and Mash carts to my 2600 list.

Does anybody have a 2600 Master List that has label variations on it? The one I downloaded has 2 entries for Atari 3D-Tic-Tac-Toe, but it doesn't have "Text" and "Picture" in the LabelType field, and I'm not sure how to enter these in.

Overall, this looks like a very sweet program. Once I get it all set up, I'll be sure to send the authors some carts. It looks like a ton of work has gone into this.. I'm really impressed.