IGNORED

Is goo gone safe on 2600 carts?

Zeus

I have a few cartridges with some sticky sticker residue that I would like to remove.  I was wondering if goo gone is safe to use?

I know some members here have used it supposedly with some success. I experimented with Goo Gone on a few commons and not only did it remove the residue, but it bleached the label itself.

In my experience Goo Gone is perfectly safe for the plastic areas of the cart, ideal in fact.

It can also be used on the label, but only if you are careful and do not over apply. I use it on most of my labels if they are particularly nasty, but I use very little and get it off as soon as it is on, I don't let it sit and soak into the label. I've had some disasters along the way, but once you get good at it Goo Gone is your best pal. (next to alcohol :) )

It can also be used on the label, but only if you are careful and do not over apply.  I use it on most of my labels if they are particularly nasty, but I use very little and get it off as soon as it is on, I don't let it sit and soak into the label.  I've had some disasters along the way, but once you get good at it Goo Gone is your best pal.  (next to alcohol :) )

What sort of disasters does it cause, and how would I go about duplicating it (on a common cart, for example). I'd like to test it against Bestine. Bestine only removes adhesive, so the worst thing that could happen (even if you soaked the label) would be that the label would just come off the cart, and need to be re-applied.

At any given time, I have at least 50-100 gamecarts in my little hole-in-the-wall trade shop, and you better believe that not everybody took such meticulous care of their systems as we do!!

So far, the best thing I've found is a concentrate called 'Orange Blast'. It will remove sticker gunk, dirt, schmutz, crayon, and about anything else safely. You do, however, need to excercise extreme caution on the labels, as they ARE only glossy paper.

This stuff and a toothbrush/toothpicks works wonders!! :D

What sort of disasters does it cause, and how would I go about duplicating it (on a common cart, for example). I'd like to test it against Bestine. Bestine only removes adhesive, so the worst thing that could happen (even if you soaked the label) would be that the label would just come off the cart, and need to be re-applied.

After reading your post, I picked up some Bestine and tried it on a few commons that had glue residue on them. The Bestine worked great. That was a great tip!

After reading your post, I picked up some Bestine and tried it on a few commons that had glue residue on them.  The Bestine worked great.  That was a great tip!

I frequently use Goo Gone to help clean carts and it works reasonably well. I am not familiar with Bestine, though. How bad are the fumes? Is it something you can use indoors without passing out or becoming loopy from exposure to it?

..Al

I am not familiar with Bestine, though.  How bad are the fumes?  Is it something you can use indoors without passing out or becoming loopy from exposure to it?

The fumes are great!! ;)

Seriously, an open window should do the trick. I use it indoors, and as long as you don't spill it, any well-ventilated room should take care of the fumes. If in doubt, apply it in a kitchen with the stove fan turned on.

Any suggestions on taking a price sticker of a label?

If using Bestine, there are a couple of approaches. One is a small dispenser you can buy for it. Kind of pricey, and impossible to fill without using a funnel, but it lets you dispense little drops of the stuff, instead of puddles (an eyedropper would probably work, too). Just apply a little to the edge of the price tag, work the edge loose, apply a little more, and just gradually work it until it comes off. Then clean off any residue with a cloth or kleenex that's been dampened with it.

The other approach is to just use a cloth (or paper towel or kleenex) that's been dampened with Bestine. Just hold whatever you're using over the opening of the can, and turn it over to give it a good soaking in one spot. Then, just hold the soaked rag (or whatever) on the price tag until it absorbs the Bestine, and carefully peel it off. The more soaked the tag is, the easier it will come off. Stubborn adhesives may require several applications until they loosen. When it's off, wipe off any leftover residue.

The key is just limit it to only what you want to remove. If you soak the whole label, it may come off with the price tag. (Of course, you can always spray-glue it back on.)

And cap the lid of the can, too. The stuff evaporates pretty rapidly.

If left on the label for too long, it can soak in and cause discoloration or color bleeding on the label. It can also dull shiny labels if left on too long.

The key is just to wipe on, wipe off, and not dilly dally. Otherwise Goo-Gone is great!

Steam might get stickers off -- but it's liquid, after all, and therefore can wreak havoc on label if you're not careful.

In my experience, Goo Gone is okay for plastics, but it WILL remove paint and ink from plastics. I learned that the hard way when I tried to use a citrus cleaner on a Super Grafx and the ink from the logo ran when I went over it. Not cool on such a rare console, but fortunately it didn't take much and didn't remove or smudge any of the logo.

It's probably okay on labels if used in small quantities and short periods of time -- get what you need to get off of it and then wipe it clean with a dry cloth.