IGNORED

Ballblazer with red end label

Bob Mackey

About half a year ago I bought a 7800 Ballblazer cart new in the box off Ebay. After I got it and placed it along side my other 7800 carts, I noticed that, unlike most of them which had silver end labels, my Ballblazer's end label was red. It didn't mean much to me at the time, but now I realize that Ballblazer also came with a silver label that was more common. So just how rare is my version of Ballblazer? Are the games themselves identical? (I imagine they are.) And why is there a red label version in the first place? I don't remember seeing any other 7800 games with red labels...

I checked the manual and the box, and they appear to be identical to those pictured. I noticed, however, that the pages of my manual are in a different order than those pictured would have one believe. (The site shows the "Viewing Game Action" page before the "Strategy" page, my manual has the opposite.) It could be possible that my manual's pages are in a different order than typical, though I figure it's more likely that whoever put the scanned pages on the site made a mistake in the order that pages should be in.

quote:

John K. Harvey wrote:

It seems possible that a 2600 end-label was produced, and then dumped on 7800 carts in order to save money because a 2600 version was impractical to program, or that a batch of 2600 labels was run accidentally, and that they were put on the Ballblazer carts anyway.

The problem with this theory is that the red end label says 7800 on it.

quote:

^Cro§Bow^- wrote:

As I understand it a lot of the Pal 7800 games have this red end label on them.

Ballblazer is the only 7800 game, that I'm aware of, that has the red end label and I believe that the PAL version is rarer than the NTSC version.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Yo,

I had originally heard that the red-label is a result of a 2600 version of Ballblazer that was never implemented (I think Tod Frye was working on it, but I could be wrong).

The red label is similar to Super Football and Secret Quest's labels for the 2600. It seems possible that a 2600 end-label was produced, and then dumped on 7800 carts in order to save money because a 2600 version was impractical to program, or that a batch of 2600 labels was run accidentally, and that they were put on the Ballblazer carts anyway.

Is anything known about a 2600 version being worked on at all?

-John K. Harvey

My belief (which could be wrong of course...) is that these red labeled versions were made towards the end of the NTSC cart making era..89' or so. So Atari either ran these late in the game...or simply ran out of silver labeled NTSC ends and started to use the pal end labels on them. As I understand it a lot of the Pal 7800 games have this red end label on them.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by John K. Harvey:

Yo,

I had originally heard that the red-label is a result of a 2600 version of Ballblazer that was never implemented (I think Tod Frye was working on it, but I could be wrong).

The red label is similar to Super Football and Secret Quest's labels for the 2600. It seems possible that a 2600 end-label was produced, and then dumped on 7800 carts in order to save money because a 2600 version was impractical to program, or that a batch of 2600 labels was run accidentally, and that they were put on the Ballblazer carts anyway.

Is anything known about a 2600 version being worked on at all?

-John K. Harvey

Tod Frye was working on a version, and according to him (on the Stella videos), the display he made was excellent. Far as I know, it was never finished. Perhaps he still has a copy of his work?

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Tod Frye was working on a version, and according to him (on the Stella videos), the display he made was excellent. Far as I know, it was never finished. Perhaps he still has a copy of his work?

Even if there's no game attached to this demo, it'd be great to see it. I really hope it surfaces someday. Has anyone tried contacting him about it? If he has it, I would hope that he'd allow someone to dump it.

..Al