IGNORED

PARKER BROS.--Hulk & Lord of the Rings

ROCKINGROLL

Is it just me, or did Parker Brothers have a knack for screwing the people over. First, they promised totally kick-ass licenses they never came through on. Secondly, did you ever notice that every pic they showed was supposedly the Atari VCS screenshot? Yeah right!! I don't remember Q-bert and Popeye looking like that! And finally, they showed a completely different game from what they actually released for 007. In the catalog is a cool lookin' chase scene on a train. What'd we get instead? Some bizarro little car that flies and goes on water and shoots at diamonds. Damn you Parker Brothers...

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Captain Atari ]

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Atari:

Is it just me, or did Parker Brothers have a knack for screwing the people over.

Actually, I kinda liked most of their games. Even though most of them are pretty watered down on the Atari (Tutankham springs to mind). Although it does suck that these games never made it past the prototype stage (Or possible didn't even make it to a prototype)

--Zero

Actually, liquid_sky, Jedi Arena WAS released.. I had it and it was very fun.

The others you mentioned were never released. As for Ewok Adventure, some enterprising programmer whipped up a version of it for one of the VCS emulators (same guy that did Yars Quest, I think) since the prototype ROM was extremely early-stage.

What's funny is after playing the 2600 version of Tutankham, I can't play the arcade version. For some reason I just can't get into it the way I get into the 2600 version. The manual really helps set the mood with all the decriptions of the treasures.

Same thing with the 2600 version of Moon Patrol. I'd much rather play it than the superior 5200 version.

Tempest

wow, I never knew it was released..... maybe i got the idea in my head that one stars wars game never showed up so therefore the other never did. I am also going to have to agree with Tempest... there is just something about 2600 Moon patrol that is undescrible, I think the arcade version is less fun

For the most part, I like the Parker Brothers games, too! Their 2600 games were pretty good, but most of their games for other systems were especially good! Q*Bert for Commodore 64, for example, was arcade-perfect, and Tutankham for Colecovision was great!!! However, Frogger for Intellivision has real sloppy movement.

Both Frogger and Q*Bert suck on Intellivision mainly due to the controllers. Both those games need a joystick to do those precise jump moves and the disc controller on the Intellivision just doesn't cut it for this sort of game.

The oft-overlooked Spiderman for the Atari kicks serious butt.

I thought Parker Brothers did some pretty good games. Empire Strikes Back (great panic game) was played more than most any game I had back in the day. Spiderman was also a game that seldom gets the credit it deserves. Of course, they had some misses too... Does Amidar count? It's boring, but then, it's a port of a boring arcade game.

Ahh, yes, glorious Parker Brothers carts. I have many fond memories of those. My best friend in grammar school had an uncle who owned a video store, so he got all the latest games for free (my jealousy ran rampant). I practically lived at his house. He seemed to get mostly third party stuff, and PB carts were top of the list. I played the heck out of Popeye and Qbert at his house.

As for my house, Tutankham was one cart I had to have - I played that darn thing for hours and never got to the final board. In fact, I just did it the other day for the first time - interesting, that.

I also loved Star Wars: ESB. So much so, in fact, that when I was young, I "liberated" on e from a friend of mine so I could play it - he never missed it!

If I had to pick one PB cart that was the object of my videogame obsession, though, it would have to be Frogger - there's a whole story associated with how I got Frogger, but that's for another time...

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

wow, I never knew it was released..... maybe i got the idea in my head that one stars wars game never showed up so therefore the other never did. I am also going to have to agree with Tempest... there is just something about 2600 Moon patrol that is undescrible, I think the arcade version is less fun

Just so you know, the following Parker Brother star wars games that were released were:

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Death Star Battle

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Star Wars: The Arcade Game