IGNORED

Star Raiders vs. Starmaster?

Tempest

Star Raiders is my pick... I didn't like the idea of having to use the difficulty switches in Starmaster and Phaser Patrol (Though Phaser Patrol is a really awesome game it itself), since my VCS is in a difficult to reach spot.

I'd also like to add that Solaris beats them all hands down!

--Zero

(And yes, it's too bad the Keypad wasn't used for more games)

STARMASTER!!

I remember reading about the game before it came out as a kid and I just drooled over the screenshots (probably just construction paper mock-ups). I didn't own Star Raiders and was really jonezing for a good space combat game so I could fantasize about being in Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars.

When I finally got my hands on a copy of Starmaster it was everything I thought it would be and then some! I played the heck out of that game.

You already know my take on this...

Starmaster gets my vote.

Basically you have a strategy which does not really exist in Star Raiders. The graphics are better and much more smooth in Starmaster. The difficulty switches at least work better for me since half the time my Keypad doesn't seem to register a press of the buttons (And it is new).

The biggest pain about Star Raiders is that it just seems cluttered. I know the 5200 version and 8-bit versions of Star Raiders are much better. But the 2600 version just plain pales to me.

Star Voyager? Well...sure it has action...but you don't have a map or any strategy to work with.

I don't know...they both have their points but I just much prefer to play StarMaster between the two or 3 if you count Star Voyager.

But...Solaris...oh yeah!! That is still the best!

I had both Starmaster and Star Raiders. Although I loved the idea that Star Raiders had a keypad, I soon found out that plugging and unplugging the stupid thing was more trouble than it was worth, so I ended up playing Starmaster most of the time.

I think Activision did a great thing by releasing Starmaster before Atari released Star Raiders. They ripped off Atari's own game and beat them with it. At least it was a good quality rip off.

I got to play the real Star Raiders on an Atari computer at Woolco department store, and that was great. Too bad the 2600 version didn't even come close.

I know I owned 2600 StarRaiders at one time, because I still have the keypad. God only knows where the cartridge and overlay are now though...Anyway, if we're talking strictly 2600, I'd have to go with Starmaster and Starvoyager, I loved them both and they were better than 2600 StarRaiders. However, I'd play 5200 or 8-bit StarRaiders anyday over 2600 Starmaster/Starvoyager. The thing here is that StarMaster and Starvoyager were both "arcade" space shooters and StarRaiders was MEANT to be a more complicated "simulation." If they were all trying to beat StarRaiders in the simulation department, they failed miserably. I personally never compare them for these reasons, I like them all for what they are, and they are different enough from each other that they don't have to be compared. Although I did really like the one that had the "hypergates" that you had to find and go through, was that StarMaster or StarVoyager? That one was my favorite. Did Starmaster or Starvoyager ever make it to the 8-bit? I'd love to compare them to 8-bit StarRaiders just for the heck of it...