IGNORED

Rerelease the 2600

Nateo

One night, I was lying in bed at 10:40 at night watching re-runs on Nick-at-Night, when it hit me. Infogrames should rerelease the 2600 as the "Atari Classic Game System." It would be a 2600 compatible system (duh), and it would have a very low price (Under 50 bucks! 50 BUCKS!? Now isn't that nice?). Infogrames may even release new games for the 2600, like the current titles they produce.

Id preorder if it was gonna happen for sure. but the odds id say arent too good im sure. Hasbro owns the rights to gamesliek Frogger Cenipede Asteroids i believe and Infogames owns the atari name not sure everythin inthe inventory . but think about this i doubt Activision Sears or any of the other big atari hitters woudl make games again cause they are in a new market of there own activision is doign PC games now Sears gaveout on video games went back to tools. Sega is gone so is Coleco. Parker Bros went back to board games many of the small companies seem to have vanished. But there is a good side to this if it did happen ( not only would they make new games within the company( would they start at Cx-26193?? after klax or add up all un numbered Prototypes and then after all is added up start at Cx-26213 like if all atari protos were made sold with model numbers ( refer to the old post of mine about 30 to 60 days back to learn about my theory on that. ) but it might be good for atari and launch them into making systems again better ones not liek PS2 but ones to go againist Gameboy. Also help little known New Companies show what they got and hate to say this ( maybe happy to say this ) be like a minor league to the big leauges of video games. small companies goign to atari getting good vibes from the publicv about there games then go to Nintendo or Playstation and sell games to them . and gives them time to see whats new and all.

just a thought

heres the artitcal i think it was found on page 7 or 9 if you want to scoll back but i never got any feed back abotu it so tell me all waht you think

Author Topic: Full Atari Inc. Collection?

atari70s

Atari Pro II

Home of 566 atari game carts and counting

Member # 298

posted 07-22-2001 01:13 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all

I was doing some late night thinking here and goign though all teh atari inc carts produced and un released i have come up with that the full collection with CX-2601 at teh starting point going right thou any missing numbers woudl be CX-26212 as a ending number model. now exactly why did atari skip over CX-26100? it sure wasnt because there wasnt enough games. ud think when you see it getting into to low 180's hey we got room for one at 26100? might of made things more interesting . but for teh 35 or so un released atari in progress games was there a cx-26100 , and strait up to cx-26212? can anyone tell me if they game numbers to games like Preppie that never made it. and why theres 2 CX-2674 ET and what i think is best electronics release of dukes of hazzard( b&w label) when the dukes shoudl be cx-2678? also if this was something to do with atari then is it true then very early releases or early label designs may have our beloved games haveing other strange model numbers we dont consider to relate to them like a CX-2650 asteroids ?

"Quote the Atari, Nothing but Beeps" <~ my first ecounter of the Atari Pong Type

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 305 | From: north east | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged

I really doubt this would happen. We've talked about it before here too. Here's some reasons:

1 - Infogrames probably doesn't have the wealth or market influence to actually create a successful video game system, even if it is Atari. Anyone remember Indrema? (Of course not. The reason why you don't is exactly this). Not to mention that Infogrames would have to re-release games into stores... you can't sell someone a system, and then tell them the only source of games is the flea market. Normal people don't like that.

2 - There's a LOT more people out there who think "Atari?!?! That's old crap!". Sure, we're all into Atari and love it to death, but face it; there's 10 times more people out there who only want flashy graphics and big explosions. An Atari re-release would only ever be a cult/niche system.. which is all well and good, but is not very possible (Remember the NeoGeo and NG Pocket? This is why SNK isn't around much anymore.. Though the NeoGeo was a niche system for completely different reasons)

3 - Would anyone really pay $50 for a system they can find at a garage sale for $5 (or less)? By the time the price got low enough that a lot of people would buy it, it would be very unprofitable (Sega's getting very close to this with the Dreamcast I think)

4 - Most of the really good classic games have either been re-done in 3D on newer systems (Q*Bert, Frogger, Asteroids, etc, etc), or are available in collections for the same systems (Pole Position, Dig Dug, Defender, etc, etc). As much as I don't like the idea of playing Defender on a Playstation, most people really don't care enough to buy a new system for it.

I hate to be overly negative and all, and I'd love to see Infogrames sell cheap VCSp's... but it's simply not going to happen. I'd rather Infogrames stay in business and keep the Atari name alive and well (Personally, I'm glad they have it. I'd hate to see Nintendo or Microsoft buy it, and completely ruin it)

--Zero

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Ze_ro ]

Yes, we would all like it if infogames would make a new Atari 2600 system and some games, but like some of the others have said, its not going to happen. If anything, Infogames could keep Atari alive by making newer versions of some of the great old games like Pitfall, Adventure and many others.

One big obstacle to rereleasing the 2600 is that many people who are fans of the games still have their old systems!

What would be nice to see is someone selling 2600s that are modified to use modern video/audio jacks rather than the old RF switch boxes. I'd like to hook up my 2600 to the same TV as my PlayStation and DVD player, but I don't have the skill to modify my 2600 to allow it, nor would I want to risk frying it in the process.

If someone offered new or near-new 2600s with the composite video modification built-in (and done through the case rather than having it open), I'd probably buy one.

This is why SNK isn't around much anymore.. Though the NeoGeo was a niche system for completely different reasons

Yeah, High prices, and bad marketing killed the NeoGeo. They used the same home cart as they used in the MVS (Arcade) . All they did was a simple mod to keep arcade ops from buying the slightly cheaper home version, so they would make a little more money. Then the next nail in NeoGeos casket wasent a bad move, but rather bad hardware. The high cost of cartridges (250-300$) was making the NeoGeo a hard system for the common person to own.. so they made a cd-rom add-on. The only problem is the cd-rom was 1 speed and you would wait in excess of 20 min for the smallest loadtimes. Personally I think the NeoGeo is one of the most overlooked systems of all time. But prices killed it, I mean when it first came out it was 650 bucks and you got nam-1975 with it which isnt a bad game.. but when you look at SNK's killer list of fighting games it is a pretty bad game to include with that expensive of a system. The specs of the system follow, just in case anyone out there wonders.. Remember, this is a system that first saw the light of day in 1991..

Processor: 68000, Z80

Resolution: 320x224

Color Palette: 65,536

Maximum Colors On-Screen: 4096

Maximum Sprites On-Screen: 380

Sound Channels: 8-FM synthesis, 7-Digital

Internal RAM: Memory Card; 56 Mbits of RAM

I've always personally liked the NeoGeo, even despite all it's flaws. It's one of the three systems I still believe I need for my collection to really be what I want it to be (The other two are a Vectrex and an Odyssey). Of course, it'll be quite a while before I work up enough money for one of these...

There was never a CD add-on though, it was a seperate system it itself. Also, they did make a system called the NeoGeo CDZ that used a double spin drive, but apparently it's not much faster since most games were only written to use the cd at single spin. I really don't understand why they thought they could charge $200+ for games when other systems were at $60. Sure, the games are big and take up a crapload of space, but still. Hell, there's quite a few NeoGeo ports to SNES and Genesis that are actually pretty good (King of the Monsters and World Heroes were pretty decent if I remember... Obviously you aren't getting King Of Fighters 99 or Metal Slug though). Oh, and about Nam '75, I think this was the pack-in even before they started coming out with great games like Samurai Showdown... My guess is that they just never bothered to change (perhaps they'd already made a warehouse full of Nam cartridges or something)

Even still you'll be lucky to find a NeoGeo for less than $300 or so, and many games are *still* over $200 (Though a lot of the common ones can be had for less than $60).

--Zero

I love the Neo Geo, the only thing that keeps me away is the price. A $300 price tag for games is just too steep, especially since I can play them on an Emualtor. That and there's still too many fighting games (how many can you have for one system?)

Tempest

I love the NeoGeo..

ZE_RO : They changed the packin once, to Baseball Stars 2

Tempest: I have read that buying an MVS and getting the JAMMA compatible boards to add games in is cheaper than buying home cartridges.. and as for fighting games.. im not for sure why they made so many. Here are some of my favorite nonfighters

Metal slug - Contra style shooter with beautifully smooth animation

Neo DriftOut - Great top-view racer.. its no Ridge Racer but its quite a fun game

Pulstar - One of my favorite side scrolling space shooters of all time; Blazing Star is also good

Puzzle Bobble - Also known as bust a move, one of my fave puzzle games.

Magical Drop 3 - Great puzzle game, get over the cutsy anime and it is a truely evil addicing game.

And how could I forget.. NEO Mr Do!

There may be alot of NeoGeo fighters out there, but there are quite a few great non fighter games. Just make sure to avoid Legend of Sucess Joe at all costs...

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

--

I hate to be overly negative and all, and I'd love to see Infogrames sell cheap VCSp's... but it's simply not going to happen. I'd rather Infogrames stay in business and keep the Atari name alive and well (Personally, I'm glad they have it. I'd hate to see Nintendo or Microsoft buy it, and completely ruin it)--

Who's to say Infogrames has to be the one to release it?

Look at the Toymax 10-in-1, for instance.

I can see something happening close to this in the future, maybe not an Atari system but some retro machine will be re-released again in some form or another, time will tell.

There is a market for it, release it cheaply with loads of games(installed within the console maybe), I mean the TVboy and its many versions took off here in the UK (advertised in the kiddie segement of catalogs) and thats not even an offical version!

Lee

I have a NeoGeo Gold System. I purchased it when it was new in 1990 for $650.00. At that time you could choose one of 2 games. Magician Lord or Baseball Stars Pro. (I chose Magician Lord picked up baseball stars pro in a thrift store years later.) I have over a dozen games for the machine still. Mostly older classic titles. The games cost so much money, I had to sell games to get games. If I had kept every neo geo game I ever had, my collection would be awesome. And now when I play it (my kids LOVE the neogeo)I really really wish I could have some of the games i sold. The Neo geo was and still is an impressive system.

But as someone said above. With emulation I have the roms for just about every Neogeo game released. And with the high prices of carts I'm going to stick to emulation for the ones I don't have.

Charlie

Has anyone every tried to suggest this to Infogrames. Maybe be can make a pettition or something.. That would be awesome. A new system doesn't excite me as much a new "Produced" games would.

They could buy carts from private programmers, like Shareware :-).

If we get enough folks pesturing them, you never know.

Why re-released the 2600 when they are so easy to find at flea markets for $5 or less? It would be like re-releasing Combat and selling it for $20. C'mon guys! You could pave your driveway with Combats.

What I could see happening though is one of those 128-in-1 systems. Y'know, a small box with a chip in it that has perhaps 100's, maybe EVERY game ever released for the 2600 stored inside its guts. Just hook it up to your TV and pick the game you want to play.

My TV Boy is like this (120 games) and was dirt cheap so I'm sure Infogrames could do something like this and sell it for peanuts. The key is just the licensing of the games themselves.

I would just like to see new games get produced in Cart form. All in ones don't do much for me cause I can get most of the games I want to play anyway.. Or emulate them.

I like to see the physical cart and it's label and stuff.. That's what makes this hobby so cool.

For example, If I were collecting baseball cards, and all of a sudden people started releasing all the baseball players on one card instead of a seperate card for each... Man that would suck.. Where was I, what the heck was I talking about.

Forget it..I just want more games in cool boxes. :-)

Well, I didn't say the system would be $50 bucks, I said it would be under $50 bucks. Most likely $35 dollars, and new Infogrames (Atari) carts would cost about 10-15 dollars. I did mention that Infogrames would make new games for it, right?

One can only dream but...

If they re-released the VCS, I see it could have a good chance of success in two formats:

a) Something similar to a TVboy handheld with 64 or 128 games built in for like $30.

b) Or something similar to a VCSp with a LCD screen for like $50-60 with 64 or 128 built in games.

I think the VCS stands tall against Gameboys, Famiclones and other handheld units, with current technology they could make the VCS-in-a-chip for dirt cheap prices.

I've seen some handheld Famiclones sell for $30 new, so that means that a handheld VCS can be done at that low price.

But then again one can only dream...

In truth, the Atari 2600 would make/makes a great handheld system since the pixels are so large, you don't loose any details when you shrink it down to a small screen.

I have yet to experience the 2600 Portable first hand, but it just seems like the logical choice. I'm just not ready to hand out $200.00 bucks for one. But $50, let me have it.

i think im gonna write infogames about this i can see the portable VCS working its gotta be better than some of the gameboy games and with a tag under 50 adn new atari games i think it woudl be a hit ( just dont rerelease another 5 million more combats the world dont need anymore hehe. mayeb some new games woudl be cool

I would love to have a portable atari that would COULD use rom images of the games to play them so you would not have to carry all the carts with you. I don't see re-releasing the 2600 as any good, when you can get the real, authentic 2600 off ebay for 20 bucks. I'd rather have that any day.

berzerk

quote:

Originally posted by berzerk:

I would love to have a portable atari that would COULD use rom images of the games to play them so you would not have to carry all the carts with you.

I'd love to see a portable VCS that either:

1) Takes Compact Flash cards so I can just take a few CF cards with me containing the entire 2600 library.

2) Has a decent amount of onboard memory and a USB port so I could hook it up to a computer to transfer games.

Not having to carry around large, bulky Atari 2600 carts is a big plus! It'd be great to get a unit about the size of the Gameboy Advance, but with a backlit screen.

I don't think we'll see such a product marketed in the US by anyone, but I'm sure one of these pirate companies will produce one overseas someday.

..Al