IGNORED

Most under-rated 2600 games

Red 5

I'll add Cosmic Commuter - I am a proud owner of the cart. It's like Stargate on quaaludes...a great zone out game.

The sound made when you pick up a passenger sounds just like the cheesy (but good) 70's analog synth on Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle", don't you think? And the sound when you run out of gas sounds like AM radio static...

Demon Attack' date=' yep. No one ever liked that game.

I never saw the fun in Cosmic Commuter, though I talk to lots of people who love it.

Are we more forgiving of games which we owned as kids?[/quote']

what? I love demon attack and cosmic ark it's pretty darn good too. Also atari volleyball have some nice effects, like the sun goin down and the shark passing by, oh and the one with snoopy that have to shootdown planes and pick up snaks, man I used to play the chit outta it :)

Inky's list o underappreciated titles...

1) Reactor

2) Buck Rogers (I still love this game to this day!)

3) Tac-Scan

4) Chopper Command

5) Blackjack

6) KRULL!

7) Fantastic Voyage

8) Air-Sea Battle

9) M-Network Football

10) M Network Baseball

I agree with NovaXpress about Encounter at L-5. As one of the last games I bought back in the day (from the bargain bin at Games N' Gadgets) I enjoy it. (It's got a cool title, too. L5 is one of the Lagrange Points, one of a the stable orbital positions that would be a good place for a large space station.)

Others underrated favorites of mine:

Planet Patrol (Gets repetitive, but I always liked the day to night transitions.)

Airlock (Another bargain bin buy. Looks terrible, but fun.)

Commando Raid (Very Game N' Watch like)

Riddle of the Sphinx (Slow, but surprisingly deep.)

Dodge 'Em (Can get intense very quickly)

Skiing (Maybe not underrated, but doesn't get mentioned much.)

Are some of these games really "underrated"? I'll agree with Pitfall II to a certain extent. It's generally acknowledged as one of (if not the) best 2600 games, besides being a small technological and programming marvel. Pitfall I, however, usually receives most of the attention and props. Most people who have played Atari have played Pitfall, yet not nearly as many ever played the sequel.

Demon Attack is another matter. I was always under the impression that most people liked it. The graphics are colorful and well-animated (characteristic of Imagic games), the sound, though minimal, is effective, and there is plenty of challenge to keep shooter lovers occupied. It even has an ending... sort of. I've always considered it one of the classic 2600 games.

Phoenix? Again, I thought most people liked it to a reasonable degree. It's certainly one of the more impressive arcade conversions.

I suppose a case could be made for games like Laser Gates and Tunnel Runner; these are more "cult" than much of the 2600 catalog, primarily due to the relative rarity of the carts. Also, Reactor seems to draw a mix of opinions; some people (like myself) are die-hard fans, while others don't seem to find the game as appealing.

I'll definitely cast my vote for Riddle Of The Sphinx; I've liked this game for many years.

HEAVY***6***er

Hell yeah! I love that game. I'm a 2600 adventure-game nut. RotS is unique in that you can keep playing, just collecting items and giving them to the appropriate temples, until you've beat your last high score (if you have the time). It's easy to avoid death and play indefinitely.

"Give me that disk thing, Isis, you bitch!" :)

I couldn't believe that many people disliked ROTS. I still think it's the most playable "adventure" game on the 2600. The way that Bob Smith designed this game to take advantage of the 2600's quirks was ingenious.

I also can't believe that anyone dislikes Reactor.

I couldn't believe that many people disliked ROTS. I still think it's the most playable "adventure" game on the 2600. The way that Bob Smith designed this game to take advantage of the 2600's quirks was ingenious.

Riddle of the Sphinx is a great game. It kind of reminds me of Zelda in a strange way for it's hidden secrets. I can see how a casual gamer could overlook this one, though. It does take a little getting used to, but once you do, let the fun begin.

I don't know why ET has such a bad rap. I played it when I was a kid. I beat it when I was a kid*. Sure, there were a lot of pits, but I learned not to fall into the pits. I only fell into the pits with parts once I found the correct spot to raise my head.

*I only beat it under game selection 3, no FBI or Scientists. :D

MK

I think the most obscure title I really, really like is Challenge by Zellers, also known as My Way as a Cooper Black cart. It's got a vaguely Frogger style game play to it, and it really is challenging. I just find it very addicting, is all.

Ah yes... Robot Tank! Good call!

Personally I never could get into Enduro. I didn't like the fact that the road was the same color as the... uh... not-road. And the physics seemed completely unrealistic. The weather changes were cool... but Robot Tank did that and was great in most other ways too!

I remember buying Krull new at the video store that's now a Blimpie. Could hardly ever get past the spider screen except on the children's level, which is the one version I used to play like crazy. It was one of my favorite 2600 games in its day. I remember I could play the opening screen for several minutes before the Slayers finally kidnapped the bride.

I think I saw the movie on HBO once back in 1984 or so, don't really remember a thing about it. Great score though!

I remember I could play the opening screen for several minutes before the Slayers finally kidnapped the bride.

I used to see how many points I could get on the wedding scene until the bride was taken away, or I ran out of lives. I think I got 12,000 once.