IGNORED

SoulStar on eBay

davidcalgary29

Will it last the night? Hmm...

:ponder:

Nah... I couldn't help myself. I've always wanted a copy and I'm a collector' date=' so hey...

Thanks for the heads-up on this, David!

I doubt it. That guy sells one almost every day.

A bunch of people have repeatedly reported him to ebay for piracy, bootlegging, the works- and they just turn a blind eye for some reason..

Does he sell 'em all the time? I admit I don't check eBay as fanatically as I once did, but the only auctions I've seen of atari_jag_lives has been those odd "I'm selling this thing, but here, look at my SoulStar" auctions.

I checked his feedback rating, and it's 95 at 100% positive, so I guess he's not screwing people over in that regard.

I just PayPal'd the guy.

I'll let you all know how this auction turns out. I hope I don't live to regret it...

Smeg!

Holy SHEET. I didn't know Jaguar Soul Star was out there!! That's my favorite sega cd game. I can't imagine how AWESOME a version of that game would look when freed from the sega cd's 64 color limitation... Is this available somewhere more reuptible than this guy on ebay? From the description the gameplay sounds pretty complete. I don't think I ever made it past the fourth level on the sega cd myself, anyway :-) And this is pre-lara core, back when they really coded their assess off!

Holy SHEET. I didn't know Jaguar Soul Star was out there!! That's my favorite sega cd game. I can't imagine how AWESOME a version of that game would look when freed from the sega cd's 64 color limitation... Is this available somewhere more reuptible than this guy on ebay? From the description the gameplay sounds pretty complete. I don't think I ever made it past the fourth level on the sega cd myself' date=' anyway :-) And this is pre-lara core, back when they really coded their assess off![/quote']

you can have a look see! ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...hlight=soulstar

none of which answers my above question.... does b&c have them?

Nope. No one sells them due to legal reasons. Most likely the only way your going to be able to get a Soul Star is to get a copy from a buddy or buy one of this guys. I bought one of them because the chances of this game getting released is very slim.

I doubt it. That guy sells one almost every day.

A bunch of people have repeatedly reported him to ebay for piracy' date=' bootlegging, the works- and they just turn a blind eye for some reason..

[/quote']

Does he sell 'em all the time? I admit I don't check eBay as fanatically as I once did, but the only auctions I've seen of atari_jag_lives has been those odd "I'm selling this thing, but here, look at my SoulStar" auctions.

I checked his feedback rating, and it's 95 at 100% positive, so I guess he's not screwing people over in that regard.

Yeah, he used to have that odd advertisement for SS in auctions for completely different items. i don't know what was up with that. :?

Recently, (within the last couple months) he's been selling a ton of these pirated copies. Most of the time he has the auctions up for 24 hrs and they sell pretty quick. By the looks of his feedback, people have been satisfied with the final product.

I'm assuming it was the latest version made. Can anyone verify? Punisher?

It really sucks that we as a community have to buy from this guy. Myself and others have tried to get Core Design to give us the rights to release this game but they will not even reply. In the mean time this guy will spend $20 on 100 blank cd's and make $5000. What a crock, and this guy doesn't even support or participate in your community either. :x :x

So I have to ask...

Why haven't other owners of the game made copies available at cost of a blank CD + shipping only? Since the game is unreleased, the only way to get a "legit" copy is to buy an original proto disk (which shuts out nearly everyone from enjoying the game). And as a proto, it's not even supposed to be sold at ebay at all.

Sorry, but in cases like this, the only way to get the game out to the masses is through piracy.

Or is there another way?

If anybody doesn't like the fact that he's gouging, go ahead and burn a bunch of them yourself :) I would.

• Like 1

yeah right, this might be the chance for the jag community.

once you get the cd, make it available to us. you should get the 50 bucks you paid back in no time, even if you take a copy charge of only 2$ or so.

the interest in this game is there, plus it would make a nice addition to the community.

next question: would it be very hard to encrypt that cd so that everyone is able to use it?

man, with al those newly discovered software out there it is even more desirable to get a jag cd....

creekree

i already own a copy of soulstar, it's unlike many of the other

versions about, having no graphical corruption, although it

skips the first few levels and starts in the warp station.

i will but a copy that this scalper is selling and compare the

two, mainly to see if a fully working copy can be produced

from it i.e. replacing corrupt graphics and sorting out the

levels skipped.

call me stupid, but i'm sure if ppl want to buy a corrupted

version when there is a chance of getting a perfect one up

and running i know where i'd rather put my money.

:roll:

I've been in touch with Core Design for quite a few years, and they don't have any interest in releasing a non-final version of the game. Since the "common" version of Soul Star has corrupted graphics and will even crash on some levels, this version will not be approved by them for publication.

I've spent a lot of time looking at the track binaries, but it's simply too much work to try to step through all the code and levels without the original source. I could spend a decade on it part-time and never get through it all.

So, until someone turns up with a non-buggy final version of the game, I don't think Core will be motivated to license the game.

just out of interest what is the main game binary that is loaded first, if this works on the other versions than maybe just using that to replace my slightly bugged one may fix it all, i know it seems like a long shot and maybe a bit too easy to be true, but sometimes the simplest solutions work!

:ponder:

The only problem with one of us releasing this title is that if Core Design starts to care about it' date=' you could get your arse sued off. That would not be cool.[/quote']

true.

so perhaps in this case an iso floating around the net would actually help.... it´s not really trackable. at least that would be a way to spread it. you know, for educational purposes.

creekree

Unfortunately right now I can't even verify if he really even has Soul Star. I paid him 4 days ago and I haven't heard a word from him yet.

I can vouch for him. I bought my copy of "SoulStar" from him last Xmas, and he's good for his word. I do not think that this is the last available version of SS, as the version that he sells does have some graphic glitches. It's a minor problem, though.

So I have to ask...

Why haven't other owners of the game made copies available at cost of a blank CD + shipping only? Since the game is unreleased' date=' the only way to get a "legit" copy is to buy an original proto disk (which shuts out nearly everyone from enjoying the game). And as a proto, it's not even supposed to be sold at ebay at all.

Sorry, but in cases like this, the only way to get the game out to the masses is through piracy.

Or is there another way?

If anybody doesn't like the fact that he's gouging, go ahead and burn a bunch of them yourself :) I would.[/quote']

At least SoulStar has been popping up for "general sale" here and there. Just try getting your hands on a copy of Arena Football, my friend. ;)

Someone definately needs to put an end to this guy's profit margin here with his endless copies of SS. Smeg head one the last auction, but he's already has another one up!!! One of you who buys from this guy should make copies and sell them to the Jag community at a much smaller price to break this guy's illegal "monopoly." If you are willing to buy a pirated game, then be willing to sell copies to others who are willing to buy a pirated copy too, it may be wrong, but so is what this guy is doing, and obviously there are those in the community willing to buy, so they should make copies for others in the community for cheaper. If this game is going to be circulated anyway, TRUE Jag fans shouldn't have to pay $50 for a CDR copy of a game that crashes a lot. And let me know, I'd like a copy, but not at $50!