IGNORED

SoulStar on eBay

davidcalgary29

One unused program = nothing at all.

I hate my user...he never lets me meet anybody.

The ROMS that are available on this site have absolutely nothing to do with Battlesphere. Those rights were released by Atari. Atari has no claim whatsoever to Battlesphere. I'm pretty sure T-bird and Oppressor would have something to say to anyone who was repro'n Battlesphere. I know they plan to protect their intellectual right. Any way you slice it it would be illegal to pirate Battlesphere.

:lol:

I was using the roms here as an example (which many of us old-timers paid release prices for back in the day). Do I care that they are available now to anyone for free? Should I? IF (I'm guessing) there are no plans to market BS in the future, IMO it's fair game abandonware.

But that's my personal opinion ;)

Which brings us back to SS...which was never a marketed game to begin with. Fair game. Somebody wants to copy it and sell them on ebay? More power to them. They are no more "wrong" than a person who has an illegal copy of an unreleased proto in their collection (and many do apparently). They are no more wrong than a person buying a proto on ebay, since protos aren't supposed to BE there in the first place...copied or otherwise.

• Like 1

Good going Nukey now they have stuff to complain about AA over at another Jaguar site even though you really aren't involved in the community. Personally I don't care but some people have to get a freaking a life.

I am 100% against stealing someone's work be it BattleSphere or a song off a file share program. It's not fair for the artists and I do believe it was one of the reasons why Thunderbird stopped making products for the Jaguar.

if anyone would have bothered to get in touch with me, you would

have found out that i was one of the last die hard jag supporters.

unlike this forum, my specialty is sales and not technical stuff.

i am a big jag fan for the record, i sold the jag in 95, 96. and 97.  

i was the guy on the front line selling the system and games to

the public. even after the jag was dropped by atari i keep putting

out a jag game catalog. it was the last one that anyone made to my  

knowledge,  it was black and white and around 16 pages long.

So you turned from die-hard supporter to lowly pirate when you noticed that Hasbro had opened up the system?

Black and white and 16 pages long? kinda vague, not remember the name? have a couple of issues kicking about? what was the name you sold under? All sounds terribly convienient.

i bought soul star from LARS for the reasonable price of $300.

i guess that is what your group thinks is a fair deal and not

the rip off price of $29 to $49 that i sold it for. and yes, LARS

sold it on ebay for the higher price. but, that is alright because

he is part of your group so anything you guys do is right and

everyone else is wrong.

Slight difference. If Lars sold you an original prototype, you paid for an original prototype, hence the higher price, which you obvioulsy thought it was worth at the time.

You selling copies of that for $50 a piece is illegal as you are copying copyrighted material for your own personal gain, that is piracy, be it SoulStar or Windows XP. Or did you happily pay $300 for your original copy because you knew you would make a killing selling copies of that ? makes good business sense if you have little or no morals.

Lars selling an official prototype for $300 is valid, he isn't making copies of it to turn a profit he sold on a piece of jag history which is rare and hard to find. If he was running off copies hand over fist and selling them for $300 that would be frowned upon by everyone here. We are not a comgomeration here, we are a community and hence know each other (probably in the most part by alias only) to some degree.

It;s funny that as "The last atari supporter" you seem to claim you are, you have not appeared on here before, or I would imagine any of the other boards, and there are also other people out there who STILL continue to support the atari in an honest fashion.

Perhaps the more honorable thing would have been to dump the ISO from the disc you bought for $300, and then accidentaly release it on the net, you would still have your piece of jaguar history and the community would have most likley held your generostity in high regard.

instead you chose to make a quick buck.

• Like 1

No more "dishonorable" than somebody who buys a proto cartridge and then sells off a lot of copies of it before posting a binary...in order to "recoup" their investment :ponder: That too was a subject that had come up recently. Posting a binary image is also illegal if you want to argue ethics...and every binary image here is violating copyright (except those few that have permission from the program owners/creators).

You don't want to buy it? Then don't. But where is the sense in hounding a seller so that less people will have a chance to play the game??

Don't people just play games anymore?

Disclaimer:

The opinions by this poster are not necessarily the ones shared by this site.

Attempting to apply personal opinions to a group may lead to a tendancy to drool and break wind.

• Like 1

Indeed it may be illegal also, hence why I said 'accidentally' but as at present there is no legal means to distribute it, it's a lot more honorable than making a mint, and in the case of soulstar I would suspect Core would be less unhappy if it was distributed freely amongst the community rather than someone making a mint off their hard work on an unreleased project.

As for rom images on this site, aren't a lot of them out of copyright now? so in the public domain?

As for recouping the cost of the initial purchase I think I would go along the syndicate approach to obtain the title prior to accidental duplication. and then either resell it or see if any of the syndicate really want to buy the original proto.

Nothing is really "out of copyright"...at least until the owner of the intellectual rights give up that ownership and make it public domain. Blame Mickey Mouse.

Trademarks are another matter...those must be protected or they are lost.

The syndicate approach seems like a good idea...but the parties holding the copyrights seem to be rarely interested in giving up that ownership. Most (all) of them appear to be on the honor system...not worth the time to prosecute. If they still have a finacial interest in the trademarks though, they'd be more interested in ordering new titles that use that trademark taken down (or risk that trademark being lost).

Disclaimer:

The opinions by this poster...etc.etc.

Downloading copyrighted programs may lead to the use of the phrase "Arr, matey" :pirate:

Reminder to self: cancel planned thread about availability of pirated copies of "Arena Football". :P

Ethical question for all Jag forum readers: How are Jag gamers who are "out of the loop" (ie. me) going to play unreleased titles other than by acquiring these unlicensed copies? Should these gamers just satisfy themselves with the knowledge that they shouldn't even think about getting a copy of these games from any source, as they "only" bought their Jag/CD combo in 2000 on eBay?

Nope...throw away your Jaguar. You are not l337 enough to grasp the basic requirement of forking over upwards of $300 just to play an unreleased video game.

Disclaimer:

There's no excuse for my actions...and I'll burn in hell, have my secret decoder ring and laminated paper membership card taken away, etc.

• Like 1

"Reminder to self: cancel planned thread about availability of pirated copies of "Arena Football". "

LOL!!

Since I believe honesty is the best policy, I'll say that I was a pirate in the Atari 400 days, and I'm a pirate now. Pirate is the fun term. I am more of a "long term borrower" actually.

Well, that is to say, I like to get copies of games, play them, and more than likely, if I don't like the game, I will probably misplace the game along the way anyway. If I like it, I buy a real copy. This has recently been called "shareware".

If I liked the game, I have and do pick up a copy when one comes available at the right price. (Played Archon for 20 years... but it was sweet finally getting both the cartridge AND the disk, the album cover, ect ect ect.) Played Joust for years, now I own like three original cartridges. I own every variant of Star Raiders that has come out. And I have at least two copies of Return of Heracules. I am currently collecting every infocom package I can get ahold of. And the list goes on.

Truth is, you give me a game, I will try it. Even play it. A *LOT*. I like it, I will WANT the real thing (when one comes along). I don't, it will get lost by natural selection.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone that gives me a chance to try these games out. To matter the fact, let me say blantantly, if you have a prototype game, E-mail me. Your secret will be safe with me. I would entertain the idea of sending a blank CD and postage. FOR THE OVERAL JAGUAR EXPERIENCE I would love to play the game, and return the borrowed copy to you at whatever time you set. In truth, I only play most games only a few times anyway.

Arena Football, for example, I would probably play... once. Not much for sports games. I would fire it up, play it a bit, and then probably never play it again. But I would be willing to write reviews for what I borrow (Not saying who I borrowed it from) and write it in such a way that people will drool over the rare game that you will announce you have... some time in the future when you are good and ready.

To me the fun is saying "Oh yeh, played that, and I liked this this and this about it." Kinda like when I got to see the JagDuo and WEAR the Jag VR at a JagFest (2003) once. It's all part of the experience.

So again, thanks to all who have made the games possible. Thanks to those people that snuck those games out of the companies that were developing them and would have been thrown away forever. Thank you to the developers that took alpha and beta copies and made the proper arrangements to see a copy to me. And thank all the other people that made games possible in other ways.

Yep I'm a pirate... aaaaarrrr!!! I keep what games I like, and I hunt down the real thing. Nothing is are good or as prestigious (for a collector) as the real thing. And those games that I don't like find their way to Davy Jones' locker!!!

Keep or toss, it is all part of me memory you see?! :D

Doctor Clu

Now that I have stated my stance of it all, how about a suggestion.

The experience is nice. I like shareware. I played the first dungeon level of Dark Castle for the Mac, and bought the game when I wanted the full version. I played Wolfenstein to death on the Mac, and cried when ID would not sell me expansion packs (Too old a game they said... geezz... the nerve of some people).

An idea though... it would be nice if we could get Core to authorize the free distribution of a crippled version of Soul Star. That way people could try the first level, see what it was like, and later get the fullest version possible later. I imagine with a CD game it would be a matter of only copying certain tracks and leaving others out.

Or just make it where there is a glitch in the game, so that it errors out at a given point in the game.

I would go for this version of shareware or cripple ware. :D

Doctor Clu

so you guys want to say that copying "nights into dreams", the sims 1, gta 2 is legal? because they arent made anymore?

and what use would it have to release the battlespere anyway? you are going to burn a cartridge data onto a cd and then trow it into the jaguar cd?

that doesnt make sense alot. As seems this whole atariage/pirating thing. :roll:

The best gamers in the world are the one that are legal.

i just wanted to add another thing.

how would you like it if you worked 4 years in all youre spare time on a game. just to find it getting sold by someone for 50! that has just copied YOURE game? and youre not receiving a cent from it?

if this is how you guys want to do it. i suggest you guys make some nice jaugar games. so i can copy them, sell them, and get rich. without paying a dime to you guys. seems like the REAL ATARIAGE DEAL to me! :roll:

so you guys want to say that copying "nights into dreams", the sims 1, gta 2 is legal? because they arent made anymore?

and what use would it have to release the battlespere anyway? you are going to burn a cartridge data onto a cd and then trow it into the jaguar cd?  

that doesnt make sense alot. As seems this whole atariage/pirating thing.  :roll:  

I thought you had actually calmed down and were making sense Dragon force, but no, here you are again, without clue... oh dear :roll:

My comments were regarding games that were out of copyright.. I think you will find The Sims and even GTA 1 and 2 are all still in copyright, and activly protected by their author. SoulStar is abandonware on the Jag, Core are not going to finish it up one day in a fit of boredom and release it. If a copy made it's way onto the internet it wouldn't loose them any sales, they abandoned it unfinished. If someone is selling it however that they would most deffinately object to.

I think core spotting a copy floating around cyber space for the jag would more likley bring a smile to the old coders faces as they recalle dit, (or a grimace of pain.. :)

please THINK before you rant eh...

• Like 1

now youre really getting personal here!  :x  

dont ever talk about my family. AND I MEAN NEVER FUCKFACE!!  :x  

i swear i would beat that goddamn german ass of youre if you were saying that in my face  :x  :x

SLAP

will you PLEASE GROW UP!

he did not insult your family, or do you get personaly offended by comments like "Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs"? So should I ever dare to utter "And bobs your aunties living lover" are you going to think I actually think you have an auntie who is sleeping with someone called bob? are you really this much of an idiot?

Creekree was not directly referencing your grandmother or anyone in your family. FFS you need to calm down.

:thumbsdown: :? :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

now youre really getting personal here!  :x  

dont ever talk about my family. AND I MEAN NEVER FUCKFACE!!  :x  

i swear i would beat that goddamn german ass of youre if you were saying that in my face  :x  :x

Such posts are exactly why people have false (read: negative) image of Jag community and why some don't even try to post or do something else. At the end it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong DF - it's all about the way you talk to others. As Linko said - I hope you'll grown up. It's a shame that we have to read such stuff on Jag forums :(

If you are true Jag supporter as you state please don't post anything like the one above again.

[...] i swear i would beat that goddamn german ass of youre [...]

so i assume that you are not really happy with the fact that actually there are quite a few germans out there? i mean, i sounds just like it is a swayword for you... hm... maybe it´s a dutch tradition to hate germans....

maybe you should consider not to come to the e-jagfest, you know, even the AIR will be german there :P - hope you wont have to throw up all day ;)

ah who am i to say something like that... do what you want, insult whoever you like (or in this case, just to clarify it for you, insult whoever you DONT like), i dont really care about you, believe it or not.

kaaskopp hehehe

• Like 1

that doesnt make sense alot. As seems this whole atariage/pirating thing.  :roll:  

This discussion isn't about Battlesphere - that title was mentioned as what I personally feel is abandonware...and yes, that includes the titles you mentioned as well. Not being made = abandonware IMO.

[/opinion]

This discussion is about SoulStar...where the ONLY way to get a copy is to resort to piracy (unless you happen to be an owner of one of the (two?) original protos).

[/fact]

Since it was never sold by the copyright holders to begin with, who gives a damn where the copy came from?

[/opinion]

And FYI...all unlicensed copies of games on the internet anywhere is piracy (including most of them here). Some just enforce it better than others.

[/fact]

The best gamers in the world are the ones that don't take this crap so seriously and actually enjoy the game.

[/opinion]