IGNORED

Atari Heavy Sister?

maximebeauvais

ok here we go ,

it was the original systems that were relesed in 1977. ( the first wave of 2600 units ) . they were only made for 1 or 2 years like that before switching to teh lighter 6xer's. also they were since limited had odd serial numbers (I.E. 25311J ) that one number is mine but the later ones were 7 to 9 digits and no letters. for as value 20 to 30 alone is this fair all?? for someone who REALLY wants it. but like all things that is if somsone wants it they will pay more

• 1 year later...

I saw a reply to a post on serial numbers for heavy sixers. Im trying to find more info on those serial numbers. I just got my first one this week and the serial number is 2176 so what does this mean is it 2176 production number or what? maybe you can point me in the right direction. thanks

I originally had two six switcher units. One of course, was taken/given to a kid. The oher I still have. I didn't even know their was two types. But, since the unit is still located out of my reach. I have no idea what it is. I just remeber it is a six switcher. I remeber the one the kid got had like yellow or orange on the joysticks/console. While my other system did not. If that helps. I always thought the bright color around the joysticks/unit sucked anyway. Just not my taste.

Laters,

Josh

The serial number format differences you've identified was caused when Atari went outside for licensed production. I believe TRW was the first licensed production facility outside Sunnyvale. The original Atari Sunnyvale 1977-78 heavy sixers have the serial number letter suffix. Each letter represents 99,999 units. For example, S/N 25311J is the (99,999 *10) + 25,311 or 1,025,301 produced. This is a mid-production heavy sixer probably dating to spring 1978. I've seen A suffix Serial numbers but never a number without a letter. The latest I've seen is a S/N ending in 'U' which is very late production around 2million produced. Many of the 6-switch regular cases have serial numbers representing year of production. 80XXX, 81XXX or 82XXX. A woodgrain 4-switch will typically begin 82XXX or 83XXX, the 4-black 83XXX and 84XXX, representing year of production. Even the 2600Jr year or production can be determined by the Serial number 87XXX or 88XXX. As in life, there are exceptions...

The serial number format differences you've identified was caused when Atari went outside for licensed production.  I believe TRW was the first licensed production facility outside Sunnyvale.  The original Atari Sunnyvale 1977-78 heavy sixers have the serial number letter suffix.  Each letter represents 99,999 units.  For example, S/N 25311J is the (99,999 *10) + 25,311 or  1,025,301 produced.  This is a mid-production heavy sixer probably dating to spring 1978.  I've seen A suffix Serial numbers but never a number without a letter.  The latest I've seen is a S/N ending in 'U' which is very late production around 2million produced.

I'm confused. I have a heavy-sixer with the S/N 007621. It has no letter suffix. Where does this S/N fit in?

That's BIG SEXY dammmit! :-)

Hoping that will eventually become funny? :roll:

just practicing 'zylon-ness,' fighting for what I believe in.

BIG SEXY FOREVER.

down with 'heavy sixer'

and no, it's not funny. Heavy Sixer is an UGLY term for my beautiful Big Sexy 2600. :x

I have a heavy sixer, and it has no channel switch for ch 3/4, but only operates on ch 3 which gives awful interference. I have another 2600, not a heavy sixer, that does have a channel switch. I fail to see the benefit of it outside of nostalgia. Heavy sixer...lousy picture, Lighter four switcher...decent picture. I like the 7800 the best cause ch 2 works best for me.

Jim