IGNORED

High Score Club Week 13: Reactor

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Reactor, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Positrons. Neutrinos. Photons. These are just a few of the nuclear particles threatening to blow your ship apart. There's nowhere to run! No way of escaping! To survive, you must fight them. But that's only half the battle. While you try to destroy these dangerous particles, you must also try to stop the reactor's expanding core before it reaches melt-down. So board your ship and prepare to enter the awesome depths of Reactor! (Stolen directly from the manual)

Congratulations to Dan Iacovelli for winning the "send me a PM as fast as you can" lottery!

Game Information
Left Difficulty A / Expert: Ship accelerates more quickly
Right Difficulty N/A in 1-player game
Game Mode Game 7: Single Player, Round 25
Chosen By Dan Iacovelli

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, July 5th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

If you don't have a copy of this game, you can find a copy of the ROM at AtariAge's Profile Page for this game. You can find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by 128bytes! Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible 128bytes! (Already done)

High Scores:

• [*]silverfuji.gif178,512 (Jeffy Arensmeyer)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif101,313 (Malc74) [+8]
[*]45,984 (jedijeff) [+7]
[*]37,335 (Tsukasa) [+6]
[*]24,997 (the 5th ghost) [+5]
[*]23,369 (keilbaca) [+4]
[*]23,168 (Robert M) [+3]
[*]13,818 (Sora) [+2]
[*]11,252 (bjk7382) [+1]
[*]8293 (Goochman)
[*]8285 (Chris++)
[*]6794 (Ze_ro)
[*]6432 (sku_u)
[*]6150 (vb_master)
[*]5596 (sabeen557)
[*]3775 (khryssun)
[*]2778 (gospeedde)
[*]2685 (Dan Iacovelli)
  • :
    • 1,615,526 (Todd Rogers)
      [*]525,584 (Mark Feldt)
      [*]217,683 (Ron Corcoran)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 79,502
    [*]Std. Deviation: 52,088
    [*]Total Score: 1,510,535

Current Standings
[*]the 5th ghost [107]
[*]sku_u [85]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [82]
[*]jedijeff [54]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Ze_ro [40]
[*]Chris++ [33]
[*]Saldo [27]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]bjk7382 [23]
[*]Shannon [21]
[*]crsdawg [20]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [11]
[*]Numan [11]
[*]Tsukasa [9]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]Goochman [7]
[*]Keir [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]Robert M [6]
[*]Kurushimi [6]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]gospeedde [3]
[*]khryssun [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Nateo [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]LarcenTyler [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]Malc74 [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]keilbaca [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]Sora [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]FireTiger [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
128bytes, Kurushimi, liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557

Scoring Points in Reactor - Yes, after 999,999

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, here's what it has to say:
  • Lure enemy particles close to the wall for easier hits.
    [*]Place your decoys by the kill wall for easier hits.
    [*]Place your decoy in front of the bonus chamber to lure enemy particles inside for extra points.
    [*]Place decoys near control rods to attract enemy particles for easier hits.
    [*]Guide your ship in a CLOCKWISE direction if it should become caught in the vortex. This may help you escape it.
    [*]Remember to watch the number of enemy particles "To Go" (number of particles not yet on the screen), at the top of the screen in order to keep track of each round.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(the manual)
Try to focus on the control rods at the side to keep the reactor from growing too big, this is especially important on the levels where the core is open. Remember, Knocking down all of them gets you another decoy and when you die, each unused decoy is worth 500 points. (Tsukasa)
I think it helps to stay on the offensive and not let them push you around. Always push in the direction the next one is coming from and then you will hit it hard and then it will crash into the wall. (bjk7382)
Here's something to try - move from one side of the playfield to the other. The enemy particles will pick up speed to follow you and if you dodge them when you're at either side of the playfield you should find that they smash into the sides or the reactor rods. Once the reactor has grown in size, try circling around just inside its outside perimeter (avoiding the middle, obviously). If you avoid colliding with the enemy particles you should be able to circle unharmed until all the particles have destroyed themselves. Once all the particles are destroyed be very careful because the reactor immediately shrinks and you may find yourself flying off into one of the walls.
Oh, and since most of the scores are so low just now, I've found that the bonus points you get for the decoys are vital to your overall score, so don't use the decoys at all - it's 1500 points onto your score at the end.
(Malc74)
What method that i use is in the early stages try bumping your enemies into the wall or use a decoy at the top middle and stay to the side as they bang into the wall by trying to kill your decoy. The better way to use your decoys is to put them in the center of the pocket openings before the wave starts because you get more points if they are trapped inside those pockets. When or before the decoys disappear you get yourself near to the opening of the pocket, try to stay there and have your enemies trapped inside of the pocket by bumping back into the pocket this is risky but well worth the effort. For the later stages and when the vortex expands usually stay on the sides and bump either down or up against your enemies its easier to protect yourself in that position rather then at the top or bottom again it must be at the angle sides. When you bump your enemies into the rods like mentioned above the vortex will shrink and you should get extra rods after they all are used up by bumping your enemies into them.
(ToddRogers)
As the levels get really hard, attack the bad guys vertically instead of horizontally. It's easier to push them up or down than sideways. (Chris++)
Tips:
(Jeffy Arensmeyer)
Hide in the bonus box, and let the particles come to you, they'll kill themselves, but this works for the first four levels. Once that's over, stay in the middle of the bonus box, and resist the particles blows. (vb_master)
One small addition to Jeffy's tactic of pausing in front of the control rods: Try pausing just in front of the bonus box for a split second, and you might be able to get a particle or two to accidentally fly right in there for some nice bonus points. (Ze_ro)

Alright, I have to admit this game isn't that bad......

It's not as bad as E.T. or the SQ games......

Well it's an arcade game port as opposed to a 2600-only game. Damn right it's better :D I haven't played Reactor in ages.. great pick! Can't wait to give it a shot :)

Try to focus on the control rods at the side to keep the reactor from growing too big, this is especially important on the levels where the core is open. Remember, Knocking down all of them gets you another decoy and when you die, each unused decoy is worth 500 points.

Hmmm..... never played the arcade version. I'll have to fire up MAME.

Damn, so much for the idea that game 7 would keep people from rolling the score :P Anyways, my score so far is a measley 2759. I don't know all the ins and outs of this game yet, so it'll probably take me a while to build that up.

--Zero

Greetings All

This was a fun game one of my favorites, so for this week i have a 999,999 for my submission. Sort of easier then its counter part in the Arcade.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

That doesn't look like game 7. After every game I played on game 7, I was left with a black screen, with 8 power rods on the side (instaid of the 4 shown in your picture) That looks like default settings to me, but I may be wrong.

Greetings All

This was a fun game one of my favorites, so for this week i have a 999,999 for my submission. Sort of easier then its counter part in the Arcade.

That doesn't look like game 7. After every game I played on game 7, I was left with a black screen, with 8 power rods on the side (instaid of the 4 shown in your picture) That looks like default settings to me, but I may be wrong.

Agreed. It doesn't look like game 7 to me either (check my enclosed pic for what it looked like when my game finished). Maybe it cycles through all the levels eventually or something?

Anyway, somehow I think playing this on an emulator with the keyboard means I'm going to have a hard time this week. Best score so far a measly 4680.

post-4591-1088447643_thumb.jpg

Greetings all

True it was an accurate observation by bjk7382 that i was on the wrong game selection and thank you for pointing that out to me.I was going to have Ze_ro retract/erase my score but i decided to play it again while i had the time today and once again got 999,999. I hope this makes up for my mistake. Thanks again for bringing to my attention and im sorry for any inconvience it may have caused.

post-1920-1088459366_thumb.jpg

Greetings all

True it was an accurate observation by bjk7382 that i was on the wrong game selection and thank you for pointing that out to me.I was going to have Ze_ro retract/erase my score but i decided to play it again while i had the time today and once again got 999,999. I hope this makes up for my mistake. Thanks again for bringing to my attention and im sorry for any inconvience it may have caused.

Unbelievable! You waste no time at all, do ya.. :P