IGNORED

ever have a wingmen worth having?

is it just me or do all computer controlled buddies in games suck as players? from rogue squadron to first person shooters, none of them really ever seem to have your back. is this intentional to make the game harder or is it just poor AI? just once i want them to really get that TIE off my back or rush that bunker...

They're all awful, aren't they? I particularly hate that damn frog in StarFox / StarWing (whatever). I suppose if your wingmen were any good, there wouldn't be much of a game. I always feel a bit cheated when, on the Death Star run in Rogue Leader, my wingman snags the last TIE. That was mine, surely!

I think Slippy (the damn frog) is SUPPOSED to suck (more than the other pilots). It seems like in Starfox it's YOUR job to keep your wingmen alive by eliminating as many enemies you can yourself, the more you let go by you the more damage your wingmen take - also once in a while one of em will require more direct intervention on your part to be rescued when they've got a fighter on their tail.

There was an old Mac (and later, PC) game called Damage Incorporated that had decent wingmen under your control. They were at least brighter than the bad guys, anyway. And when you enable team chatter, they rattle off one-liners all the time.

Hi there!

I like wingmen that have "personality", regardless wether they're good at their job or not. Sure everyone remembers getting friendly fire from "Maniac"? ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

You beat me to mentioning "maniac"

he killed my last nerve sometimes, he got hard to bring home alive....

Ice Man and some of the others were competent though.

Brad

The Freespace games for PC (Descent: Freespace & Freespace 2) have some great wingman AI. Not only are they well voice-acted but they're quite competent and act like real people. Sure, you'll still end up doing most of the work, but you really feel like a small part of a bigger picture, especially on missions where you're the leader of like three wings of ships and there are capital ships fighting each other with their beam cannons.

Man, what an incredible (but short) series Freespace was. It's too bad we'll never see any additions to the franchise.

Wing Commander III for 3DO

The wingman is a huge help.

Plus, which wingman you pick will determine  

how much they help.  Some are a lot more

talented than others

Yeah, though in the earlier games in the series they were only so-so.

It's odd to see how many more kills you get on the chalkboard they have up :-)