IGNORED

5200 PROTOS!!!

BTHOTU

Hey guys I got mine in today :)

Here is all the neat stuff in the lot... hopefully I can get some pics up soon, but need to dind a place to host them...

This is the same post I put in the 5200 forum...

Hey guys, I picked up a large lot of atari 5200 stuff recently... it has 7 PROTOS, and 1 I think is a proto....

It also came with 2 power supplies... one is the normal 5200 one... it says Atari and has AC/DC on it and on the back it is made in korea....

On my other one it only has the Atari Sybol and ATARI written on the front in silver, and the back has

ATARI INC.

SUNNVALE, CA

and then list the specifics.... Model NO CO 14319.....

It also has a smaller plug that goes into the wall socket, it looks like it is older than the other due too its prong size, it is one size and isnt bigger towards the ends.

Is this a RARE Power Supply??? I also couldnt seem to get it to work on my 5200??? But it is neat.

On the Protos, there is nothing too intresting...

5 of them are a LOANER CARTRIDGE's (here is a short description)

1) Vanguard with 3-25 written on white lable

2) Kangaroo with 021-01 written on whitle lable, also that lable is on top of another that had writing.

3) Tennis EPROM Cartridge <-- that is typed on white lable also there is a red dot sticker on the Loaner Cartridge lable (also the lable was not put on smmothly on this cart )

4) Baseball (I am fairly sure it is Real Sports but looked different on the tittle screen, it didnt say anything about voice on it) 4/8 written on the white lable, and there is another white lable underneat the Loaner Cartridge lable.

5) Pole Position 097 <---- Typed on white lable

FOR THE OTHER 3 PROTOS....

6) No lable , only has a white sticker lable with QIX EPPROM Cartridge 11/Nov/82 typed on it (also like all the other carts there is no screw in it on the back)

7) game program TM lable <--- (on top Atari Symbol, and ATARI on Bottom) White lable has Space Dungeon 1-20-83 written on it. (also the lable is peeling in one corner a little bit.

the one I am iffy on to as if it is a Proto....

Joust in a Missle Command Cart, there is a long white sticker with joust written on it, it does have the screwon the back of the cart...

Should I take it apart???? could that help me find out if it is a proto???

I tested all of them they all work, I haven really looked for differences yet, I will later

I just wanted opinions on the PS and the Joust Proto feel free to ask about others...

Can some one shoot me to a link to where I can host pics to put on here

Thanks,

Kris

Oh, also there was a track ball in the lot for the 5200 that had some stuff scratched into it on the bottom ---> PILOT 179

Hopefully i can shed some light on your recent proto find:

1) Vanguard with 3-25 written on white lable

Could be a WIP. The final version I have is dated 5/9 and a late WIP I have is dated 2/1. I'd be interested in getting a dump of this one.

2) Kangaroo with 021-01 written on whitle lable, also that lable is on top of another that had writing.

Final Version

3) Tennis EPROM Cartridge

Most likely the final version, but you can never be sure. The red dot indicated what the prototype was to be used for (home testing, lab testing, magazine review, archival, etc.)

4) Baseball (I am fairly sure it is Real Sports but looked different on the tittle screen, it didnt say anything about voice on it) 4/8 written on the white lable, and there is another white lable underneat the Loaner Cartridge lable.

Definetly a WIP. I have over six RS Baseball protos and that date falls smack dab in the middle of the list: http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/r.../rsbaseball.htm

If you ever want to sell or trade this one let me know. I'm a real RS Baseball proto nut. :)

5) Pole Position 097

Most likely a late WIP. The final version I have is dated 5/14 (133). I would be interested in seeing this one as well.

FOR THE OTHER 3 PROTOS....

6) No lable , only has a white sticker lable with QIX EPPROM Cartridge 11/Nov/82 typed on it (also like all the other carts there is no screw in it on the back)

Hmm... I don't have a date for reference, but I'd bet that this one could be a WIP. You should dump it and see.

7) game program TM lable

A WIP, I have one just like it:

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/s...ngeon/12083.htm

It has some differences,but they're hard to pinpoint since the game is so complex and I really suck at it.

Nice score! I'm jealous! :)

Tempest

Man I dont even know what WIP is. Could you explain a little :) :( I am not really into the proto scene yet....

Last night I looked for differences (not to hard, just started em up and looked if they had the same buttons and stuff), I had real carts for all the games except vanguard and baseball to compare with....

Here is what I found....

Space Dungeon... The proto has a Copyright of ATARI 1983 only on the second screen The Real one has a Copyright of Tatio American Corp. 1982 on the second screen.

Pole Position.... The Proto has a Copyright of only ATARI 1983 and does not say Malibu Grand Prix - laps 4 on the screen if you dont hit start right away The Real one Flashes Copyrights of Namco 1982 to Atari 1983 on it and says Malibu Grand Prix - laps 4

Baseball..... (I dont have an originall to test it with, but used the screen shots from AA data base) The Proto has no mention of a voice or inning option, and has a player running along the bottom of the start screen and it flashes press start to play of whatever. The real one from the looks of the screen shot has a voice and inning option, and it didnt show a guy running, but sometimes he is off the screen, and the press start flashes so the shot could have been taken when they just were not in the picture. (let me know if this is in the originall version)

Thanks for all the neat info, Any thoughts on Joust??? what is the best way to open these carts, someone said you (Tempest) could tell me if it was a proto from the insides.

PS: it seemed as if Kangaroo, and tennis were the same, maybe tennis was a little faster also Qix seemed the same, and vanguard too, but I dont have a game to compare it with, so there could be differences. Oh and Joust also seemed the same.

Also I would consider selling 4 to 5 of them, I put some money itno them so I would like to get it back and keep a few for myself :)

Just PM me if you are intrested... I really dont know what they are worth each, but I would guess WIP ones are mor since I think they are not final versions. I will probably put a post in the Market place forum after I figure out more about what I have.

LOL I found one of the same differences in the space dunggeon... also the person has and s on dungeon whitten on your lable, mine has no s, but that is just spelling I guess.

I would like to post pics what is a good host pic site.

If you have an EPROM burner, you could read the EPROM and save it to a bin file. If you don't have one, you could send them to me and I'll have them dumped pronto.

To anyone else, should I get to dump the EPROM, only BTHOTU will have a say on who gets the ROM image. Some copyright owner don't like having the proto distributed on the internet.

The Joust looks a lot like it's a production game.

You mean you can fire missles at the birds in the 5200 version of Joust!!

Heheh Look close. It's a Missle Command Case that was probably laying around the shop.

• 16 years later...
17 hours ago, Kris Harrison said:

This was one of my best game finds ever on eBay!  I still remember they had this lot spelled Atati.  I still have Pole Position but sold all the others to eat pizza lol!  

I have a copy of 5200 Galaxian that looks like it's been floating in a septic tank for a decade. I should send that to you, gratis, for best necro-bump this year. :P