IGNORED

LETS SOLVE THIS BURIAL E.T. DEBATE RIGHT NOW.....

82-T/A

I gave up my little internet hunt for the carts a while back. For those who remember, I emailed several officials in the city of Alamogordo NM, where the carts are supposed to be, and never heard back from a one of them.

Also, the programmer of ET came on here and publicly stated his doubts about the story. Now, this doesn't mean what he said is true, but it does lend creedence to disbelieving the story.

I'm at the point of trying to find out once and for all, but isn't mythbusters more science oriented? Do you really think they'd go to NM?

Hmmm.. Methinks the quest for the carts would make a great documentary...

Tho this raises a question. How many cartridges came packed in a case?

Anyone?

I couldn't tell you about Atari, but I can comment on what it COULD be...

When I worked at Toys R us, NES boxes, which are roughly the same as Atari boxes had 6 carts per case. Then there were 4 cases packed inside a larger case, ergo, 24 carts per case. Roughly

I'd rather see themsearch for the I Robots dumped into the ocean.  That would be way cooler.  I heard they were dumped off the loading dock of the ship so they would be easier to find for sure. ;)

Or better yet if they could search for both games. :D

On a more personal level, I have to say that the "E.T." story is a bit far-fetched. Still, HSW himself claims that he knows nothing about the dumpings, but yet the story is written in Zap! as cold hard fact. Not one to cut short the ideal of "innocent until proven guilty" I don't have the condemn the story as a total falsehood. On the other hand, personal gut feeling tells me the whole thing is a bit far-fetched.

I feel like these copies weren't really dumped but maybe leaked into the marketplace (or perhaps given to later Atari employees as "gifts"... y'know... E.T. carts in place of fruitcakes at Christmas or something. :D )

• 1 month later...

I am currently working on an independent documentary and am looking for anyone who has either, been to New Mexico attempting to find the alleged landfill, is planning or interested in actually going to search for it, or has any additional interesting information on the subject. please e-mail responses to menatworkpictures@hotmail.com

I don't understand why this is STILL a debate.

Go to the library, grab the old Micro Film and check out this...

The New York Times. "Atari Parts Are Dumped."

28 September 1983 (p. D4).

Unless The New York Times turned into a tabloid rag for a few months in the summer of 1983, this should be all the proof anyone needs. I don't think the New York Times had any need to print false information about a video game company throwing out some carts.

Anyway, if you go looking, bring a jackhammer.

If you don't find them in New Mexico, check behind the grassy knoll :P

Other sources that are state they were dumped:

Cohen, Scott. Zap! The Rise and Fall of Atari.

New York: McGraw-Hill, 1984. ISBN 0-07-011543-5.

Kent, Steven L. The First Quarter: A 25-Year History of Video Games.

Bothell, WA: BWD Press, 2000. ISBN 0-9704755-0-0.

Why would anybody want to dig up that crap game, let alone millions of them, my cat buries its turds, I don't know where and don't want to cause its crap. Disco died they just didn't bury it deep enough. let ET rest in pieces, to bad they didn't load them on a missile and send em' to Uranus.

You don't hate E.T., you love E.T. You wish that you could rub a million E.T. cartridges all over your body. You have an uncontrollable urge to play E.T. right now.

post-13-1092450818_thumb.jpg

Why would anybody want to dig up that crap game, let alone millions of them, my cat burys its turds, I dont know where and dont want to cause its crap. Disco died they just didnt bury it deep enough. let ET rest in pieces, to bad they didnt load them on a missle and send em' to Uranus.

Because we want to. I love trying to prove myths wrong or right.

Maybe they should have thrown ET down a well, but atari was running from Debt, not the cops :ponder: :roll:

Thanks for the link NE146 (and no, I'm not asking).  

About that link...Just say no? Maybe the Easter eggs don't really exist and each E.T. cartridge was secretly covered in LSD.

BTW all the secrets of E.T. have not yet been discovered...Domurat's signature graphic still needs a solution.

(3 months pass)

I JUST FREAKIN' DID IT!

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...=initials#55692

Thanks for the link NE146 (and no, I'm not asking).  

About that link...Just say no? Maybe the Easter eggs don't really exist and each E.T. cartridge was secretly covered in LSD.

BTW all the secrets of E.T. have not yet been discovered...Domurat's signature graphic still needs a solution.

(3 months pass)

I JUST FREAKIN' DID IT!
http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55692&highlight=initials#55692

I never read the following posts or I would have said something. I was losing interest in Atari stuff by then and left AtariAge around the start of September 2001, came back months later in 2002 for a microsecond, then came back in 2003. I repeatedly got those initials back in 1983. It really is the easiest Easter egg to find.

Too bad you never mentioned it (in the thread you replied in).  It' was worth an easy $50 IIRC ;)

I know, too bad I didn't stay around a little longer. I didn't know that people were trying to find those initials since even a casual player can find it without trying. The Yar and black E.T. are two of the the coolest things ever put into an Atari game and are what I care about the most. Finding the JD just wasn't very exciting. Great, hand a piece of candy to Elliot on the crowded well screen, big deal. I think I did call my mother in to look the first time though, but after that I didn't care because you can do it every time. I don't remember how long I tried to get the Yar and make E.T. black again before I gave up, but I think it was at least a year.

I chanced upon the Yar only once in my kid-time play with E.T. and I never saw it again. I knew it was there but I had no idea how to get it again. Fast forward 15+ years and I saw that trick mentioned on the good old web. Isn't the information age wonderful to bring such closure to such obscure things? :D

I chanced upon the Yar only once in my kid-time play with E.T. and I never saw it again. I knew it was there but I had no idea how to get it again. Fast forward 15+ years and I saw that trick mentioned on the good old web. Isn't the information age wonderful to bring such closure to such obscure things? :D

Darn right! I wondered about the Yar and black E.T. for such a long time. It was nice to finally find the answer on the Internet. I also like finding long lost songs, song lyrics, TV shows, movies, and toys from the 1970s:

http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=82

http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=78

http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=2

Still haven't found a few toys. There was one that was a thin plastic oval with white and blue sand inside that kind of looked like ocean waves as you moved it back and forth. There was a projector-type toy I had around 1973 that you could put different circular slides into. One slide had blue liquid with bubbles in it. The bubbles moved around almost like they were alive. It was cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we know of at least one games company that likes to bulldoze games...

crush1.jpg

crush1.jpg

crush1.jpg

Nintendo! Apparently, back in 1996 they bulldozed a pile of pirate systems/multicarts. Of course, no show of strength would be complete without every news agency in Denmark being invited along. So there you have it fokes, we know that there definitely are bulldozed carts lying in a garbage dump somewhere. These ones just happen to be in Brazil and be pirate Nintendo games.

(^ No edit button?)

Well, we know of at least one games company that likes to bulldoze games...

crush1.jpg

crush2.jpg

crush3.jpg

Nintendo! Apparently, back in 1996 they bulldozed a pile of pirate systems/multicarts. Of course, no show of strength would be complete without every news agency in Denmark being invited along. So there you have it fokes, we know that there definitely are bulldozed carts lying in a garbage dump somewhere. These ones just happen to be in Brazil and be pirate Nintendo games.