IGNORED

Finished! Hangly-Man for 5200 v0.4 Complete w/ 2nd maze

PacManPlus

Hello all:

I started a new thread because I couldn't change the title of the old one (no editing) :(

5200 Hangly Man is basically finished, and all I have to say is I'm glad the first 4K was unused! The second maze and maze permissions (and a few subroutines) I ended up storing there.

Please give it a try and let me know of any bugs found in it. There is one already that I know of:

The top and bottom exits on the blank mazes give you fruit points when you pass through them! :roll: I'll get to that one.

I would like to eventually try this on the real hardware... although it's a 16K image and that's a little tricky at this time with the current 5200 boards available...

Let me know what you think!

hang5200.zip

I figured it out...the game is loaded as a 2-chip 16k cart :D

The characters kind of flicker when reappearing in the upper-left tunnel...and the screen boundries still need to be adjusted a bit for the tunnels (especially with the vertical tunnel). Other than that, it seems to run flawlessly :)

Thank you both!

Yes, I did this on my own - but what helped me immensely is that I found a thread with Bryan's partial commented disassembly of the 5200 Pac-Man cart... Thanks Bryan! 8)

Only 1 (major) bug left!

Oh BTW, It would be very cool if Alex and Albert decided to release this in cart form when I find this last issue (hint, hint) ;) The label is next...

Version .05 - The following changes:

1) Fixed Vertical Tunnels

2) Fixed bug where the monsters can pass through you when using the top and bottom tunnels

3) Included 2nd fruit when selecting starting levels

4) Removed 'Pac-Man' logo, added 'Hangly Man' text at bottom.

Enjoy! (And let me know if you find any more bugs...)

hang5200.zip

Hi!

I'm curious - in what way does New Puck 2/X fit in? I used the HanglyMan Mazes as close as possible, although there was a little modification I had to do on the 'six circles' in the middle of the maze. This is because of the way Atari laid out the permissions of the maze. I also followed the 'blank mazes' pretty much true to the original...

Thanks for the feedback :)

Hey Breakpack!

I was wondering when I'd see your face around this thread :)

I don't completely understand your question, though... The 'Empty Maze' on the arcade version actually does happen after the first intermission, and then every odd level after that (I just double checked). I think I messed up on the 'every odd level after that' part. I have it happening after each intermission... Thanks for making me check; I'll fix that.

OK - Here is the 'Release Candidate'. If nobody reports any issues with this version, it is the one I'm going with.

Changes in this version:

1) Fixed the sequence of mazes to be true to the arcade version. (1 & 2 - Regular maze, 3 - Empty Maze, 4 - Regular Maze, and alternate from that point forward).

2) Changed the monster's behavior a bit on the 'Empty Maze' (after all, the monsters actually still are supposed to follow the maze even though the player can go wherever he wants). This doesn't happen completely, but I used the 'cannot go up' bit wherever the monsters can't go up because of the 'maze' layout (did that make sense?)

3) Fixed a bug where the player (sometimes) still gets fruit points when going through the top vertical tunnel.

Thanks all! :)

hang5200.zip

It's a 5200 cart...so you need to select 5200 as the machine type. ZThen when you attach the cartridge, it will have a dialog pop up that shows how it's configured. You need to change the default 1-chip 16k cart to the other choice (2-chip). Just click on the field and select it. Then it should run normally. If that is not changed, the emulator will crash. It won't run with the default selection.

Hey Breakpack!

I was wondering when I'd see your face around this thread :)

I don't completely understand your question, though...   The 'Empty Maze' on the arcade version actually does happen after the first intermission, and then every odd level after that (I just double checked).  I think I messed up on the 'every odd level after that' part.  I have it happening after each intermission...  Thanks for making me check; I'll fix that.

Oops ,lol I didnt know it was supposed to be like that...I never played the arcade version extensively enough ....... :ponder: :wink:

To Nukey: I finally figured it out, so thanks anyway.

To PacManPlus: The resemblance to New Puck One (better known as New Puck-X) is in the maze passageways on both sides of the maze. The arcade Hangly Man just has those circular dividers which give Pac-Man and the monsters a little more freedom moving around in that area, but at the same time can cause players to get stuck moving Pac-Man around as with the dividerless maze that alternately appears with the original maze.

Description and screenshots of New Puck-X

Description and screenshots of Hangly Man

Hey Vic George:

I understand what you mean now - just the maze itself... I thought you might have been referring to some of the game's dynamics. I actually am very familiar with the maze layouts of all variations of Pac-Man :D BUT, I had to make some slight changes to the 'circular' parts to the maze only because of how Atari did the maze permissions. (You are very limited there - it only checks in 10 spots horizontally and 10 spots vertically where the players can go)

Funny thing is that I originally started to do a 'New Puck X' version, but quickly found out that I can't because of the little twists (like at the bottom center of the maze) for the reason mentioned above.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

• 2 months later...